-Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, August 26, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/28625725964/in/dateposted-public/.
-July 11, 2019: Posted on Facebook
-October 16, 2020: Posted on Facebook
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
1 photograph : b&w ; 23.5 x 35 cm on mat 40 x 51 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph of the exterior of the Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas decorated with Union Jack flags and banners. Shows the scene of the official visit on May 6, 1914 of the Governor General, HRH the Duke of Connaught and his daughter Princess Patricia: their itinerary included a brief stop at the Court House and the corner stone laying ceremony for the new St. Thomas YMCA building on the southeast corner of Talbot and Ross Streets. View is looking southeast and includes the Elgin County Registry Office (during their visit, an oak tree was planted near the Registry Office). Photograph was probably taken from an upper storey window of the house at 5 Wellington Street (northwest corner of Queen and Wellington Streets), owned at the time by William R. Jackson, President of Jacksons Limited jewelers and opticians.
Photograph is mounted on cardboard embossed in the lower right corner with the name of photographer James H. Hopkins, St. Thomas.