Copy of an article published in the May 17, 1916 issue of the Southern Counties Journal concerning Dr. Perry E. Doolittle and his role in popularizing the sport of cycling. Includes a photograph showing Doolittle on a high wheel bicycle ca. 1880s.
one photograph : b&w ; 10 cm x 14 cm on sheet 15cm x 23cm
Scope and Content
Portrait of the Athletic Association Executive with Mr. Farr. Along bottom:" Athletic Executive", stamp: "Hopkins". Verso"Executive of Athletic Association". Published in "The Almafilian", June, 1911, P. 32.
Posted on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: June 10, 2019.
Alma College fonds - Photographs series
one photograph; b & w; 15cm x 24cm
Scope and Content
Portrait of students in gymnasium with basketballs and teacher. Verso: "The Methodist National Campaign". Published in "The Almafilian", June, 1920, P. 67. (according to article on p. 68 this may be in the Y.M.C.A. Gymnasium). Published in The Prospectus, 1920, P.17 . Published in "Alma College - 1877 - 1977", p.36 with caption: "Principal Dobson's Alma Gym Class in the Y.M.C.A., 1919".
1 photograph : b&w ; 28 x 40 cm on mat 35.5 x 46 cm
History / Biographical
George Tanner is the father of Lois Paddon.
Scope and Content
St. Thomas Collegiate Institute Rugby Club, 1914. Shown are, top row, left to right, Harvey Dozois (Left Inside), Wier Maxwell (Flying Wing), Jack Webb (Right Half Back), Roemer Robertson (Centre Half Back), Harley Ponsford (Left Scrimmage), Jim Finlay (Quarter Back); second row, left to right, Don McGregor (Right Outside), George Ponsford (Captain, Left Half Back), Mellis Ferguson (Coach), Fred Palmer (Manager), Dr. Arthur Voaden (School Principal), Clarence Flowers (Left Middle), Clint Dunsmore (Left Outside); third row, left to right, Sperrin Chant (Right Middle), Norman Tufford (Right Inside), Arthur Payne (Right Scrimmage), George Tanner (Centre Scrimmage), Kenneth Davidson (Left Scrimmage), Stanley Douglas (Left Inside); bottom row, left to right, Leslie Heard (Spare), Gilbert Hall (Spare), Gordon Holtby (Spare). W.O.C.R.U. Champions, 1914. Note the dog mascot. File includes:
The origin of this photograph is not known. It shows a group of children playing on a waterslide in Port Stanley harbour. It is a photograph taken of a photograph. The back of the photograph is labelled "Diving Dock, Port Stanley".
The origin of this photograph is not known. It shows a group of men attending a baseball game, possibly in Port Stanley. It is a photograph taken of a photograph. "Base ball game" is written on the back on the photograph.
Stanley Beach Casino dance hall, Port Stanley, ca. 1910. Constructed in 1909 and officially opened on July 1, 1909 under its original name. Later purchased by St. Thomas photographer James H. Hopkins and renamed Hopkins Casino. Prior to the construction of the London & Port Stanley Railway Dance Pavilion (later known as the Stork Club) in 1926, the Casino was the largest summer dance hall in Canada. When Hopkins Casino was destroyed by fire in April, 1932, it is said that the flames could be seen from across Lake Erie in Cleveland, Ohio. The Orion Hotel, constructed 1907-1908, is visible in the background: the building still stands on the west side of William Street, Port Stanley, opposite Lotis Lane and has been in use recently as a residential outpatient clinic for patients of the St. Thomas Psychiatric Hospital. Note the ferris wheel to the east (right) of the Casino - it was built at the same time as the Casino as an attraction and was one of the earliest functioning ferris wheels in Canada (the first in the world was introduced at the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893). This image has been copied from an unknown publication. File includes: