Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

6 records – page 1 of 1.

Neil R. Darrach research files series

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives171738
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Paul Baldwin fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1872-1926
Accession Number
2013-21
Storage Location
C4 Sh4 B1
C4 Sh4 B2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Paul Baldwin fonds
Description Level
Series
Accession Number
2013-21
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C4 Sh4 B1
C4 Sh4 B2
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1872-1926
Series
Paul Baldwin fonds - Neil R. Darrach research files series
Physical Description
5.5 cm of textual records
63 photograph slides
13 photographs : col ; 10 x 15 cm
History / Biographical
Born in Southwold Township in 1850, Neil R. Darrach later moved to St. Thomas during the railway boom and began a career as a noted architect. He opened his office in St. Thomas in 1879, and a few months later was awarded his first contract to design the Centre Street Baptist Church. Over 24 buildings in St. Thomas are recognized as Darrach designs; of note, this includes the First United Church, the Grand Central Hotel, Memorial Hospital, St. Thomas Masonic Hall, Myrtle Street Public School, Balaclava Street Public School and the Mickleborough block in downtown St. Thomas. He desinged several prominent homes in the community including the former Anderson family home on Rosebery Place and the former Gilbert family home on Margarget Street. He was also commissioned to reconstruct the Elgin County Courthouse, after the original building was gutted by fire in 1898. Many of Darrach's buildings now have historical designation including Wellington Street Public school, St. Thomas City hall, Old St. Thomas Public Library, Princess Avenue play house (originally a church), and the former Southern Loan building. From 1911-1917, Darrach moved to Regina, Saskatchewan where he designed a number of notable historic buildings. In 1917, Darrach returned to St. Thomas where he re-entered into partnership with architect John T. Findlay, who was Darrach's associate before he moved to Regina. He remained in St. Thomas until his death in 1926.
Scope and Content
Series contains material related to architect Neil R. Darrach, collected and maintained by historian Paul Baldwin. Includes original and photocopied newspaper articles, reference material, correspondence, and handwritten and typed notes pertaining to Darrach's personal and professional lives. Also includes photographic slides and prints of buildings designed by Darrach in St. Thomas and area, as well as in Regina.
Name Access
Baldwin, Paul
Darrach, Neil R.
Subject Access
Architecture
Architects

Miscellaneous research files series

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives171744
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Paul Baldwin fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1870-2013
Accession Number
2013-21
Storage Location
C4 Sh4 B2
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Paul Baldwin fonds
Description Level
Series
Accession Number
2013-21
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C4 Sh4 B2
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1870-2013
Series
Paul Baldwin fonds - Miscellaneous research files series
Physical Description
1.4 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series contains miscellaneous files compiled by historian Paul Baldwin regarding architects and architecture in St. Thomas and Elgin County. Includes a list of architects in the region, information about David Kilpatrick, and research notes and articles from Baldwin's "Legacy" column published in Community News.
Name Access
Baldwin, Paul
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Kilpatrick, David
Subject Access
Architecture
Architects

John T. Findlay research files series

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives171745
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Paul Baldwin fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
Date Range
ca. 1900-2012
Accession Number
2013-21
Storage Location
C4 Sh4 B1
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Paul Baldwin fonds
Description Level
Series
Accession Number
2013-21
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C4 Sh4 B1
GMD
textual records
Date Range
ca. 1900-2012
Series
Paul Baldwin fonds - John T. Findlay research files series
Physical Description
10.8 cm of textual records
2 volumes
History / Biographical
John T. Findlay was born in Scotland in 1844 and was a prominent architect in Iverness from 1901-1905. He emigrated to Canada in 1907 and settled in St. Thomas, Ontario, where he became a draftsman for Neil R. Darrach. He worked briefly for John L. Thomas, an architect in London, Ontario who had opened a branch office in St. Thomas. In late 1909, Findlay moved to Toronto and spent two years in the office of Ellis & Connery before returning to St. Thomas in 1911 to open an idependent architectural office under his own name. Findlay maintained his practise until 1917. Around this time, he rejoined Neil R. Darrach, who had returned to St. Thomas after working in Regina, Saskatchewan for a brief period. Together they formed a new partnership, Darrach & Findlay, and collaborated until Darrach retired in 1925. Findlay continued to operate his own office until 1947. During the Second World War, Findlay temporarily moved to Ottawa to assist the federal government with designs for wartime structures. He died in St. Thomas on December 20, 1947, and his office was subsequently acquired by George Morley. Some of Findlay's notable designs in St. Thomas and Elgin County include Scott Street Public School, Aldborough School Section No. 11 building, the Talbot Street YMCA building, the Curtis Street YWCA building, Memorial Hospital, Grace United Church, West Lorne town hall and the Port Stanley Public Library, among others. Information paraphrased from John T. Findlay's entry in Biographic Dictionary of Architects in Canada.
Scope and Content
Series contains research material collected by historian Paul Baldwin about St. Thomas architect John T. Findlay. Includes photocopied and original newspaper clippings, reference material, correspondence and handwritten notes. Also includes a project journal maintained by Findlay and Neil R. Darrach, 1900-1915.
Name Access
Baldwin, Paul
Findlay, J.T.
Subject Access
Architecture
Architects

Architectural plans series

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives171747
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Paul Baldwin fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
ca. 1900-1910
Accession Number
2013-21
Storage Location
RM1 C3
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Paul Baldwin fonds
Description Level
Series
Accession Number
2013-21
Storage Room
Records Centre
Storage Location
RM1 C3
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
ca. 1900-1910
Series
Paul Baldwin fonds - Architectural plans series
Physical Description
2 plans
Scope and Content
Series contains architectural plans created by Neil R. Darrach, showing designs for the St. Thomas Public Library (1903) and for a private residence for R.A. Cook (ca. 1900-1910).
Name Access
Darrach, Neil R.
St. Thomas Public Library
Subject Access
Architecture
Architects

Architecture

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives449
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elda Mae Patterson fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1969-1993
Accession Number
2003-18
Storage Location
R6 S6 Sh5 B1 F13
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elda Mae Patterson fonds
Description Level
Series
Accession Number
2003-18
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R6 S6 Sh5 B1 F13
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1969-1993
Physical Description
17 newspaper clippings
4 notecards
4 cards
3 postcards
1 booklet
1 pamphlet
Scope and Content
Newspaper clippings, notecards, cards, and postcards, primarily about St. Thomas heritage buildings.
Booklet- "In Commemoration of the St. Thomas City Hall".
Pamphlet - "100th Anniversary Fornal Opening- St. Thomas City Hall".
Subject Access
Architecture
Heritage Buildings

War Correspondence

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives9644
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Anderson family fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1899-1946
Accession Number
2004-05
Storage Location
C5 Sh5 B1
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Anderson family fonds
Description Level
Series
Accession Number
2004-05
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C5 Sh5 B1
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1899-1946
Series
Anderson family fonds - War Correspondence series
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence of Robert Marshall Anderson and Donald Hume Anderson with various soldiers from the St. Thomas area who served during the Boer War/South African War (1899-1902), the First World War (1914-1918), and the Second World War (1939-1945).
Much of the Boer War/South African War-era correspondence is between Robert Marshall Anderson and his brothers Archie and Duncan, both of whom served in the conflict, Duncan as a physician in the medical corps, Archie in the infantry. In addition, Robert Marshall Anderson corresponded with some of his employees serving as soldiers in South Africa.
The First World War correspondence features letters to and from an employee of the Anderson Department Store, Warren Andrews, who served with distinction and returned to St. Thomas at war's end with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Correspondents include Robert Marshall Anderson and Anderson Department Store employees E.G. Cooper, Ruby Copeman and Donald McCallum.
Much of the Second World War correspondence consists of letters written to Donald Hume Anderson by Anderson Department Store employees injured while serving as soldiers during the Second World War expressing thanks for care packages sent to them during periods of convalescence. Correspondents include Corporal Carlyle R. Taylor, [Petty Officer?] W. Jack Taylor, Sergeant Thomas W. Hanna, Sergeant E.J. (Ted) Higginbottom, Corporal A.W. Shaw, Private F.E. Lapp, and Doug Keith. Includes stationery and envelopes bearing various military insignia. Series also includes correspondence dated 1945-1946 between Donald Hume Anderson, in his capacity as an officer of the St. Thomas-Elgin Rehabilitation Committee, and various individuals and agencies including the Canadian Department of Veterans Affairs.
Series includes the following files:
Correspondence of Private P.H. Stacey, 1900. C5 Sh5 B1 F1
Correspondence of Duncan Anderson, 1900-1901. C5 Sh5 B1 F2
Correspondence of Archie Anderson, 1899-1900. C5 Sh5 B1 F3
Correspondence of Archie Anderson, 1899-1900. C5 Sh5 B1 F4
Correspondence - Anderson Department Store staff to W.A. Andrews, 1916. C5 Sh5 B1 F5
Correspondence - E.G. Cooper to W.A. Andrews, 1917. C5 Sh5 B1 F6
Correspondence - Donald McCallum to W.A. Andrews, 1917. C5 Sh5 B1 F7
Correspondence - Ruby Copeman to W.A. Andrews, 1916-1917. C5 Sh5 B1 F8
Correspondence - Robert Marshall Anderson to W.A. Andrews, 1916-1917. C5 Sh5 B1 F9
Correspondence - St. Thomas-Elgin Rehabilitation Committee, 1945-1946. C5 Sh5 B1 F10
Correspondence - Various Correspondents to Donald Hume Anderson, 1943. C5 Sh5 B1 F11
Name Access
Anderson, Archie
Andrews, Col. W.A.
Anderson, Dr. Duncan
Anderson, Robert Marshall
Anderson, Donald Hume
St. Thomas-Elgin Rehabilitation Committee
Anderson Department Store
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
First World War
Second World War
Conservation
Letters have been placed in melinex sleeves
Related Material
Anderson Department Store fonds

6 records – page 1 of 1.