File contains a scrapbook of news articles and photographs about men who served in the Elgin Regiment in the World Wars as well as about events that occured in St. Thomas in the latter half of the 20th Century. Most of the clippings are from the St. Thomas Times Journal. This local history file was compiled by Steve Peters.
Series consists of correspondence of Robert Marshall Anderson and Donald Hume Anderson with various soldiers from the St. Thomas area who served during the Boer War/South African War (1899-1902), the First World War (1914-1918), and the Second World War (1939-1945).
Much of the Boer War/South African War-era correspondence is between Robert Marshall Anderson and his brothers Archie and Duncan, both of whom served in the conflict, Duncan as a physician in the medical corps, Archie in the infantry. In addition, Robert Marshall Anderson corresponded with some of his employees serving as soldiers in South Africa.
The First World War correspondence features letters to and from an employee of the Anderson Department Store, Warren Andrews, who served with distinction and returned to St. Thomas at war's end with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Correspondents include Robert Marshall Anderson and Anderson Department Store employees E.G. Cooper, Ruby Copeman and Donald McCallum.
Much of the Second World War correspondence consists of letters written to Donald Hume Anderson by Anderson Department Store employees injured while serving as soldiers during the Second World War expressing thanks for care packages sent to them during periods of convalescence. Correspondents include Corporal Carlyle R. Taylor, [Petty Officer?] W. Jack Taylor, Sergeant Thomas W. Hanna, Sergeant E.J. (Ted) Higginbottom, Corporal A.W. Shaw, Private F.E. Lapp, and Doug Keith. Includes stationery and envelopes bearing various military insignia. Series also includes correspondence dated 1945-1946 between Donald Hume Anderson, in his capacity as an officer of the St. Thomas-Elgin Rehabilitation Committee, and various individuals and agencies including the Canadian Department of Veterans Affairs.
Series includes the following files:
Correspondence of Private P.H. Stacey, 1900. C5 Sh5 B1 F1
Correspondence of Duncan Anderson, 1900-1901. C5 Sh5 B1 F2
Correspondence of Archie Anderson, 1899-1900. C5 Sh5 B1 F3
Correspondence of Archie Anderson, 1899-1900. C5 Sh5 B1 F4
Correspondence - Anderson Department Store staff to W.A. Andrews, 1916. C5 Sh5 B1 F5
Correspondence - E.G. Cooper to W.A. Andrews, 1917. C5 Sh5 B1 F6
Correspondence - Donald McCallum to W.A. Andrews, 1917. C5 Sh5 B1 F7
Robert and Patricia Moore Local History Collection - Philatelic collection series
0.1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains postcards, envelopes and stamps collected by Robert Moore, showing postmarks from Military Post Offices. The binder was labelled "MPO Book #4" by Moore. Mostly contains postmarks from military camps and stations during the First and Second World Wars. Also includes a souvenir booklet with postcards showing images of of the Petawawa Military Camp.
George Gray Collection - St. Thomas Collegiate Institute Series
1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains letters that were written by former S.T.C.I. students during the First and Second World Wars. The letters have been anonymized. A forward appears at the top of the pile expaining what thletters are and their overall purpose. These letters were used for teaching purposes by Gray and George Thorman. A copy of a new article explaining this is also included in the file.
booklet inside envelope- "RCAF Technical Training School"- photos of daily life for the airmen at the school.
programme: "Airmen's Christmas and New Year's Dinners: 1943-1944".
booklet: "Nominal Roll, 91st Overseas Battalion. The Great War, 1914-1918".
programme: "Graduation Ceremony and Presentation of Wings to Air Bombers and Air Navigators of No.4 Air Observer School, RCAF. By Wing Commander W.R. Kingsland- April 21, 1944". (R6_S5_Sh2_B3_F10a.pdf)
Wallacetown Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing Captain Clifford M. Keillor, M.D., son of Alvro Keillor and Ada (Green) Keillor, Wallacetown, who served in Salonika during the First World War. Captain Keillor was later promoted to the rank of Major and also served during the Second World War. Included in the Wallacetown Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 1.
See also: Attestation Papers in Library and Archives Canada Collections - http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-110.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=ldl1kr2h1l5j3dbuavbrr93910&q1=keillor&q2=clifford&q3=&interval=20
File contains scrapbook material which includes documents, newspaper clippings, photographs, and original correspondence relating to Bert L. Caskey, who served as the clerk office Manager and Treasurer for the Public Utilities Commission in St. Thomas, Ontario, for over 40 years. File also includes a list of Public Utilities Commission employees (1952), a Hydro Electric Department employee pin, as well as a Second World War Applicant for Enlistment pin, as Caskey applied for enlistment but was rejected due to a medical condition. Photographs were likely taken at Caskey's retirement party in 1973.
Material was removed from original binding for preservation purposes. Original order was maintained.
McNeill Funeral Service was established by John A. McNeill in Dutton, Ontario in 1922. The business was located at 193 Shackleton Street and provided funeral and ambulance services to Dutton and surrounding area, including Southwold, Dunwich and Aldborough Townships. Mr. McNeill passed away in 1952. The business subsequently became the Arn Funeral Home.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of four volumes of funeral ledgers from 1931 to 1947. Entries include information on residence, age of death, marital status, maiden name (if applicable), birth place, parents, cause of death and burial details. On occassion, invoices or notes are attached depending upon the services provided. Entries are in chronological order with an alphabetical index at the beginning of each ledger.
Fonds also consists of seven photographs of Mr. McNeill, the funeral home and vehicles. Two photographs depict a ceremony for the "Unknown Airman" at Fairview Cemetery in Dunwich Township. This was a funeral and memorial service conducted for the body of an unidentified airman who perished while training at Fingal. He was never identified. A complete description of the ceremony and circumstances can be obtained in the August 26th, 1943 edition of the Dutton Advance.
Fonds furthermore consists of the publication "A Tribute to Valour" published in December, 1945 at Dutton. As the dedication states: "The Citizens of the Township of Dunwich and the Village of Dutton present this Book as a Tribute to the Valour of their Sons and Daughters who served in World War II, 1939-1945." The publication provides biographies of those who served or died during the war.
CP 565 published in St. Thomas Times-Journal, Bygone Days feature, March 14, 2013.
CP 565 published on Archives' flickr site, February 2, 2010: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4325307085/in/set-72157623211518235.
Scope and Content
London and Port Stanley Railway Station or Depot, St. Thomas. Located just north of Talbot Street between St. Catharine and John Streets. In CP 253 note the sign in the window reading: "R.C.A.F. Personnel - Attention. R.C.A.F. Personnel Proceeding to Stn Aylmer on Posting...If Service Transport to Station Aylmer is not Available after 15 Minutes of Arrival, Phone Aylmer 680, Local 67 for Transport", a reference to the R.C.A.F. No. 14 Service Flying Training School in Aylmer, Ontario. Note also a van at right marked "Ralph Crocker Florist", two telephone booths on the station platform at left and an empty baby carriage left in front of the station. The station was constructed at this location in 1920; demolished in January, 1968; replaced by a replica station that officially opened September 20, 2013 and houses the City of St. Thomas Tourism Office. Previously, the L. & P.S. depot was located on the east side of Station Street, just north of Kains Street, opposite the J. Heard & Co. mill (later Elgin Handles) - the former depot was repurposed as a freight office when the new station was constructed on Talbot Street in 1920. In CP 565 London and Port Stanley Railway car 14 is visible.
CP 253: ca. 1940, due to sign in window.
CP 565: ca. 1935, due to presence of St. Thomas Gas Works lines behind the station. The photograph must have been taken before 1936 when the Gas Works was removed.
Black and white postcard with title "Administration Bldg. R.C.A.F. Training Centre, St. Thomas, Canada - 8". Shows part of the St. Thomas Psychiatric Hospital complex, which was used during the Second World War, 1939-1945, as the R.C.A.F. No. 1 Technical Training School.
Middlemarch Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph of Private Franklin Begg of the Middlemarch community, included in the Middlemarch Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One, page 104. Pt. Begg served two months in the Second World War.
The Dutton/Dunwich branch of the Canadian Red Cross was formed on October 27, 1939 as the community mobilized for the Second World War. The organizational meeting was sponsored by the Dutton’s Women’s Institute. The first president was Bill Hollingshead and the first campaign manager, R.E. Fraser. Mrs. Hilda Crawford was in charge of the workroom committee and remained in this position until the committee was disbanded in 1960. During the war years approximately $4,000.00 was raised per year to cover such items as socks, sweaters, blankets, pyjamas, hospital gowns, pneumonia jackets and quilts. In 1943 blood drives began under the auspices of the Independent Order of Oddfellows and continued until after the war, when they were disbanded. They started up again in 1960 and were conducted at various locations through the community annually. The Red Cross Room on Main Street had wheelchairs, crutches, walkers and canes for loan for short periods of time. This branch supports the Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety programs, held in summer at the local pool. The Bobier Convalescent Home has two Red Cross volunteers who spread cheer weekly. The Emergency Services Committee helped out those in the community who had been victims of fire.The Red Cross has been at work in this community, helping to aleve human suffering whenever and wherever they can for many years.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of the administrative records of the Dutton and Dunwich Branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society, and are divided into the following series:
-Minutes, 1939-1946; 1982-1986
-Financial records, 1941-1968
-Miscellaneous records, ca. 1970-ca. 2000
This fonds would be of interest to researchers studying the origin and development of the Canadian Red Cross, the Canadian Red Cross Dutton/Dunwich Branch in particular, the lives of Second World War Servicemen and service organizations in Canada and Ontario in general.
Black and white postcard with title "2. R.C.A.F. Training Centre, St. Thomas, Canada". Shows part of the St. Thomas Psychiatric Hospital complex, which was used during the Second World War, 1939-1945, as the R.C.A.F. No. 1 Technical Training School.
A black and white photograph of London and Port Stanley Railway passenger train with motor car No. 16 in London, Ontario. The locomotive was manufactured in the USA and has a painted Victory "V" on the side of the car in support of the was effort during the Second World War.
Motor car No. 16 was built in 1907 by G.C. Kuhlman Car Company in February, 1909 and was acquired by the London and Port Stanley Railway in 1941. It was originally built for and used by The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company as Locomotive No. 102. It was converted to a parlour car in 1924.