Kenneth Williamson fonds - Municipal politics series
1.0 cm of textual records
History / Biographical
Kenneth "Ken" McIver Williamson was born in Kintore, Ontario on December 18, 1913 to Harry and Edna (nee McIver) Williamson. He was married to Olive Norah Williamson (nee Pickston) in 1958 and was predeceased by his first wife, Edith L. Williamson (nee Row) in 1957. He had one daughter, Mary E. Stout, who died in 1996.
Williamson was a member of Knox Presbyterian Church, St. Thomas and formerly of St. Paul's United Church, Aylmer. Throughout his life, Ken was involved in several businesses. He owned Glencoe Creamery (1937 - 1938), Aylmer Dairy (1938-1941), Home Dairy, Bakery and Cafeteria in St.Thomas (1942-1945) and Avon Milling Company.
Williamson built and operated the Royal Theatre in West Lorne with his partner Bob McEwan. He also built the Strand Theatre in Aylmer 1947, and owned the Aylmer Bank of Montreal building until was destroyed by fire in 1959. He worked also worked as a real estate agent, as well as in general insurance. He was eventually employed by Denton-Vance Insurance in Tillsonburg.
Williamson was also active in municipal politics, serving on Aylmer Town Council and as Reeve from 1952-1956. He was Warden of Elgin County in 1954, a member of the Board of Governors of Memorial Hospital, St. Thomas from 1952-1954 and for the St.Thomas Elgin General Hospital from 1954-1978, also serving as Chairman from 1955-1957.
Williamson was a member of McColl Lodge 386, West Lorne, affiliated with Malahide Lodge 140, Aylmer in 1940, and was a Past Master and a Life Member. He was a life Member and Past Grand Steward of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario, a 33rd Degree Mason and a member of the Mocha Shrine in London, Ontario.
Scope and Content
Series contains correspondence, prepared speeches and greetings, ephemera and miscellaneous records created or collected by Kenneth Williamson during his tenure as Reeve, Town of Aylmer (1952-1956) and Warden, County of Elgin (1954).