Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

21 records – page 1 of 2.

St. Thomas Fire Department - First Red Fire Truck

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives138268
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1922
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 27
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 27
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1922
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, May 21, 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/17754788798/in/dateposted-public/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 19 x 25 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the St. Thomas Fire Department's first red fire truck, ca. 1922. View is looking southwest from the intersection of Talbot and White Streets, with Holy Angels School and Holy Angels Catholic Church visible in the background. Firefighters shown are, standing left to right, Richard H. (Dick) Kitchenham, Assistant Chief William H. Foote, and, seated, Chief Alex C. (Sandy) Henderson. The truck is decorated with a poster advertising Safety First Week and a warning to reckless drivers that is connected with the billboard seen behind the truck advertising the Cecil B. DeMille film "Manslaughter" (released September 24, 1922) which was playing at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. Note the chains on the truck's rear wheels for traction in the snow.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 11 (Southwick to White)
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 12 (White to Princess)
Google Street View 2014: http://www.instantstreetview.com/@42.778964,-81.193015,-128.83h,2.47p,1z
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Holy Angels Church
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department, ca. 1900

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124943
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
June 24, 1897
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 9
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 9
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
June 24, 1897
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, July 28, 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/19903848779/in/dateposted-public/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21.5 x 28 cm
Scope and Content
St. Thomas Fire Department posing with horse-drawn vehicles in front of the Southwick Street Fire Hall, ca. 1900.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
St. Thomas Fire Hall
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department Ladder Truck, 1947

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124944
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1947
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 10
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 10
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1947
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, June 24, 2014: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/14525634113/in/dateposted-public/.
Posted on Facebook and Instagram: April 23, 2019.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
St. Thomas Fire Department ladder truck on the day it arrived in the city, June 24, 1947. Bickle Seagrave 75-foot aerial service vehicle with twelve cylinder Pierce Arrow dual ignition engine. Shown parked in front of St. Thomas City Hall, looking east on Talbot Street from Mondamin Street. Visible businesses include Penhales' Boot Shop, Meyers Photo Studio, Steele Optical Co. optometrists, Simpson's order office.
Down the Street to yesterday Zone 30 (Mondamin to St. Catharine).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Demolition of Wabash Railroad Station, St. Thomas, 1967

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124945
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 11
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
London Free Press
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 11
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, September 27, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/29343071444/in/dateposted-public/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the demolition of the Wabash Railroad Station, St. Thomas, ca. 1967. Two unidentified St. Thomas Fire Department officers are shown. The wall on the roof of the building at left is all that remained of the office of the Superintendent (left window) and the Train Order Operator, a kind of dispatcher (right window).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Wabash Station
Wabash Railroad
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Railways
Images

Hotel Talbot, St. Thomas, destroyed by fire, 1951

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124946
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1951
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 12
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 12
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1951
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the Hotel Talbot, St. Thomas, destroyed by fire, November 25, 1951. View is looking northeast from the intersection of Talbot and St. Catharine Streets. Also visible is a truck marked "Dominion Gas Co. Ltd.", the Hotel Talbot Sandwich Shop, a parking meter on the east side of St. Catharine Street (meters were only installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947), and what appears to be a portable generator.
Stollery Studio, St. Thomas photograph.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 31 (St. Catharine to John).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Hotel Talbot
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Hotels
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Engineers Building, St. Thomas, destroyed by fire, 1951

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124947
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1951
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 13
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 13
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1951
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 25.5 x 20.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the Engineers Building, St. Thomas, damaged by fire, January 28, 1951. View includes Ashbury's Mens Shop, McPhillips Appliances and Furniture, Johnson's Drugs, Simpson's order office, and the Masonic Temple on the third floor. Several unidentified St. Thomas Fire Department officers are shown, including (at far left) an officer who may be Chief Alex R. Sutherland. Parking meters are also visible (meters were only installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947).
Stollery Studio, St. Thomas photograph.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 30 (Mondamin to St. Catharine).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

St. Thomas Fire Department Window Display for Fire Prevention Week, October 6-12, 1946

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124948
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1946
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 14
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 14
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing a St. Thomas Fire Department window display for Fire Prevention Week, October 6-12, 1946.
Stollery Studio, St. Thomas photograph.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department Window Display for Fire Prevention Week

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124949
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1944
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 15
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 15
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1944
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing a St. Thomas Fire Department window display for Fire Prevention Week, October 8-14, ca. 1944. Window is marked "The Times-Journal Display Advertising Office", and the display was likely mounted in a window at the St. Thomas Times-Journal office at 403 Talbot Street.
Stollery Studio, St. Thomas photograph.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department Inspection

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124950
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 16
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 16
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, July 16, 2014: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/14677019335/in/photostream/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 25.5 x 20.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing St. Thomas Fire Department officers Alex S. Sutherland (left) and Fred Davis conducting a fire hazards inspection in the store room of an unidentified shoe store, ca. 1950.
Stollery Studio, St. Thomas photograph.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department School Demonstration

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124951
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1975
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 17
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 17
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1975
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13.5 x 18.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing St. Thomas Fire Department officers conducting a demonstration for students and staff at an unidentified St. Thomas school, ca. 1975. Officers shown are Murray McNea, Fire Prevention Officer, left background, and Art Crocker (assisting the children in the foreground).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Education
Schools
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department School Demonstration

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124952
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1975
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 18
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 18
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1975
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 14 x 18.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing St. Thomas Fire Department officers conducting a demonstration for students and staff at an unidentified St. Thomas school, ca. 1975. Firefighter Art Crocker is shown assisting the children in the foreground.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Education
Schools
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department School Demonstration

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124953
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1975
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 19
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 19
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1975
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 19 x 24.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing St. Thomas Fire Department officers conducting a demonstration of the Department's aerial truck for students and staff at an unidentified St. Thomas school, ca. 1975. Firefighters (left to right) Bob Brown, Bill Pettit and Bob Johnstone are shown standing with an unidentified teacher in the background.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Education
Schools
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department School Demonstration

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124955
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1975
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 20
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
London Free Press
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 20
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1975
Publication
April 6, 2021: Posted to Facebook and Instagram.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing St. Thomas Fire Department officers conducting a demonstration of the Department's aerial truck for students and staff of an unidentified St. Thomas school, ca. 1975. Firefighter Bob Weare operates the aerial ladder, while Fire Prevention Officer Murray McNea mingles with the students and their teachers.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Education
Schools
Images

Sherman's Mens Wear Fire, St. Thomas, 1971

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124956
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1971
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 21
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 21
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1971
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 25 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing St. Thomas Fire Department officers fighting a fire at Sherman's Mens Wear store, 449 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, April 26, 1971. The Fire Department's aerial ladder truck is shown, and several firefighters are shown wearing oxygen bottles. Also visible are the Agnew-Surpass shoe store, Edythe's Tot Shop, F.W. Woolworth store, St. Thomas Youth centre and Young's Jewelers.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 28 (Mary to Hiawatha).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 20, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Demolition of RedTed Hotel, St. Thomas, 1967

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124957
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 22
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
London Free Press
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 22
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, July 19, 2014: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/14707907461/in/photostream/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the demolition of the RedTed Hotel, St. Thomas, July 17, 1967. The hotel, formerly Queen's Hotel, was destroyed by fire in March, 1967. A second fire occurred at the site on July 17, 1967. The demolition and disposal operation was supervised by St. Thomas Sanitary Collection Service Ltd. (a branded vehicle appears in the photograph). The John Scott Hotel is also visible. Located on the northeast corner of Horton and Talbot Streets.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 34 (Horton to Manitoba).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Hotels
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Second RedTed Hotel Fire, St. Thomas, 1967

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124958
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 23
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
London Free Press
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 23
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing St. Thomas Fire Department officers using the Department's aerial ladder truck to hose down the ruins of the RedTed Hotel, St. Thomas, July 17, 1967. The hotel, formerly Queen's Hotel, was destroyed by fire in March, 1967, and a second, deliberately set fire occurred at the site on July 17, 1967. The John Scott Hotel, Lor-El Coffee Shop, Canadian Tire store, International Hotel, Disbrowe Motors and Firestone store are also visible. Located on the northeast corner of Horton and Talbot Streets.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 34 (Horton to Manitoba).
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 35 (Manitoba to Alma).
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 36 (Alma to Balaclava).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Hotels
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

St. Thomas Fire Department - New Pumper Engine, ca. 1967

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124959
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 24
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
London Free Press
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 24
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1967
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, June 14, 2014: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/14457934733/in/photostream/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing St. Thomas Fire Department officers (left to right) William "Bill" Smith, Herman Hiddink and John Dorland admiring the Department's new pumper engine, ca. 1967, at the Southwick Street Fire Hall.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department - New Aerial Ladder Truck, ca. 1947

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124960
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1947
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 25
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
London Free Press
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 25
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1947
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, July 23, 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/19764410389/in/dateposted-public/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21.5 x 28 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the new St. Thomas Fire Department aerial ladder truck, ca. 1947. The Department acquired the truck in June, 1947. It was a Bickle Seagrave Service Aerial vehicle with 75-foot ladder and a twelve cylinder Pierce Arrow dual ignition engine. The truck is shown passing the Aberdeen Block (built 1893) on the north side of Talbot Street between East and Mary Streets. Visible businesses include Starkman Credit Jewellers, A.E. Maxwell tobacco shop, Newell's Appliance Service and Martin Senour Co. Ltd.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 27 (East to Mary).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 20, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

St. Thomas Fire Department - Central Fire Station, 1974

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124962
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1974
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 26
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
London Free Press
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 26
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1974
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, December 3, 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/23222091720/in/dateposted-public/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the St. Thomas Central Fire Station on Wellington Street, 1974. View includes a London Fire Department ladder truck, on loan to the St. Thomas Fire Department while the STFD ladder truck was being repaired. Firefighter Irvine Moodie is shown at the wheel of the truck, and St. Thomas Police Constable Murray E. Jackson is seen in the station doorway.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
St. Thomas Police Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Police Services
Emergency Services
Images

St. Thomas Fire Department Evacuation Drill, ca. 1965

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124963
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1965
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B3 8
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
London Free Press
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B3 8
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1965
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, August 8, 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/20491634131/in/dateposted-public/.
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 32.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing a St. Thomas Fire Department evacuation drill at St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital, ca. 1965. Firefighters shown are (at top, left to right) Joseph McCarthy, James Johnstone, Ivan Berdan (in civilian clothes, on ladder); and (at bottom, left to right) Gordon Tuck, Max Monroe, William Mailing. The man being lowered from the window is unidentified.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Hospitals
Emergency Services
Images

21 records – page 1 of 2.