Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

5 records – page 1 of 1.

Orchard Beach, Port Stanley, Looking West

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152377
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F59
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-59
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F59
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Black and white postcard showing Orchard Beach, Port Stanley, looking west, ca. 1915. View includes several cottages at the base of Hillcrest, and on the eastern slope of Hillcrest and, in the background, warehouses along the entrance to Port Stanley harbour. A gas lamp on a walkway along the Orchard Beachfront, and a pedestrian stairway leading up the eastern side of Hillcrest are visible. File includes:
Postcard
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Orchard Beach (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Beaches
Images

Orchard Beach, Port Stanley, Looking East from Hillcrest

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152387
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F60
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
P-60
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh3 B2 F60
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Publication
Posted to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter on June 17, 2019
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing Orchard Beach, Port Stanley, looking east from Hillcrest, ca. 1910. View includes several cottages and private docks or piers extending into Lake Erie. File includes:
Photograph print
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Orchard Beach (Port Stanley)
Subject Access
Beaches
Images

Postcard - Memorial Park Beach, Port Burwell, Ontario

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives162286
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh4 B2 5
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
File Number
R4 S5 Sh4 B2
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh4 B2 5
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Postcards series
Physical Description
1 postcard : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm
Scope and Content
Postcard featuring a view of a beach scene with swimmers and boats in the water along a pier. There are two different captions for the photograph; on the picture it is identified as Turkey Point, Ontario, while a caption along the border identifies it as Memorial Park Beach, Port Burwell, Ontario.
Subject Access
Beaches
Images

Hospital Administration series

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives22704
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
graphic material
cartographic material
Date Range
1884-2004
Accession Number
2008-13
Storage Location
C7 Sh6 B1
C7 Sh5 B2
M10b
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds
Description Level
Series
Accession Number
2008-13
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C7 Sh6 B1
C7 Sh5 B2
M10b
GMD
textual records
graphic material
cartographic material
Date Range
1884-2004
Series
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds - Hospital Administration series
Physical Description
32 cm of textual records
2 maps
26 photographs : b&w and col.
1 sign
Scope and Content
Series consists of records relating to the administration of the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital and its predecessor institutions, the Memorial Hospital and the Amasa Wood Hospital, St. Thomas, Ontario.
Name Access
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital
Memorial Hospital
Amasa Wood Hospital
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Hospitals

St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives22710
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
textual records
cartographic material
graphic material
objects
Date Range
1884-2005
Accession Number
2005-03
2008-13
2012-06
2020-28
Storage Location
C3 Sh1 B4-5
C6 Sh3 B8-9
C6 Sh4 B7-8
C6 Sh5 B4-6
C6 Sh6 B8
C7 Sh5 B1-2
C7 Sh6 B1-2
M10b
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2005-03
2008-13
2012-06
2020-28
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C3 Sh1 B4-5
C6 Sh3 B8-9
C6 Sh4 B7-8
C6 Sh5 B4-6
C6 Sh6 B8
C7 Sh5 B1-2
C7 Sh6 B1-2
M10b
GMD
textual records
cartographic material
graphic material
objects
Date Range
1884-2005
Physical Description
1.87 m of textual records
ca. 750 photographs : b&w and col.
6 photographs : col. negatives
1 photograph : b&w negative
2 maps
1 crest
1 drawing
1 sign
History / Biographical
The history of the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital began with the establishment in 1891 of its first predecessor institution, the Amasa Wood Hospital, named for its founder, the Elgin County philanthropist Amasa Wood. The Amasa Wood Hospital School of Nursing was established in 1892.
When the City of St. Thomas required expanded hospital services following the First World War, the new Memorial Hospital was built in 1923-1924. Nursing education in the city continued under the auspices of the new hospital, under the name Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses.
A further expansion of hospital services was required following the Second World War and, consequently, the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital was constructed, and opened on May 11, 1954. That same year the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital School of Nursing accepted its first students. Memorial Hospital continued to operate, as a chronic care unit of the new hospital. Beginning in the late 1950s, the hospital's School of Nursing facilities were modernized and expanded and re-opened in August, 1959 as the Dr. J.W. Snell School of Nursing.
In 1961, St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital established a 10 year plan for enlarging and updating its facilities. Construction began in 1964. By 1966 a new paediatric wing, emergency department, radiology, physiotherapy and male surgery wing were added giving a total of 301 beds in the active unit, and in 1970 the hospital's Cardiac Unit opened.
In 1974, the Province of Ontario transferred responsibility for nursing education from hospitals to community colleges. Beginning in 1975, the former St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital School of Nursing began operating as the St. Thomas campus of London, Ontario-based Fanshawe College.
The 1980s brought development of an ICU/CCU progressive care area with a bed capacity of thirteen, and the operating rooms were renovated, bringing the total of operating rooms to six, plus one recovery room.
Major construction again took place in 1990, providing new space for Materiels Management (including Central Stores and Central Supply), Rehabilitation Services and Long Term Care beds in the Continuing Care Centre (CCC). Patients were transferred to the new CCC from the old Memorial Hospital, which was then closed. Improvements in services continued through the 1990s, with advances in information technology and the addition of a CT Scanner, Bone Mineral Densitometer, Sleep Lab, and Mammography Suit.
The St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives was founded in 2000, with the assistance of hospital staff and volunteers including Donna Bethune, Mary Jane Doan, Susan Gordon, Steve Peters, Chris Stinson and Sue Wadley. The Archives was disbanded and its collection donated to the Elgin County Archives and Elgin County Museum in June, 2008.
Custodial History
Records were collected and maintained by the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives and donated to the Elgin County Archives by deed of gift in June, 2008.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records collected and maintained by the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives relating to the operation of the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital, the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Foundation, the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital School of Nursing, the Memorial Hospital, the Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses, the Amasa Wood Hospital and the Amasa Wood Hospital School of Nursing.
The fonds is organized into the following series:
Annual Reports
Archives Administration
By-Laws
Certificates
Financial Statements
Hospital Administration
Miscellaneous Records
Newspaper Clippings
Photographs
School of Nursing Administration
School of Nursing Alumnae
School of Nursing Yearbooks
Name Access
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital School of Nursing
Memorial Hospital
Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses
Amasa Wood Hospital
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Hospitals