Exterior view of the Amasa Wood Hospital, St. Thomas, ca. 1891, looking southeast. Appears to show the structure soon after its construction in 1891 (lacking landscaping/foliage, railings missing on front porches, front steps missing, date/name block/stone slightly different than final version). Published in St. Thomas Times-Journal in Canada Centennial edition June 30, 1967 p. 1B and in City of St. Thomas Centennial edition June 27, 1981 p. 2B.
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds - Hospital Administration series
32 cm of textual records
26 photographs : b&w and col.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records relating to the administration of the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital and its predecessor institutions, the Memorial Hospital and the Amasa Wood Hospital, St. Thomas, Ontario.
The history of the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital began with the establishment in 1891 of its first predecessor institution, the Amasa Wood Hospital, named for its founder, the Elgin County philanthropist Amasa Wood. The Amasa Wood Hospital School of Nursing was established in 1892.
When the City of St. Thomas required expanded hospital services following the First World War, the new Memorial Hospital was built in 1923-1924. Nursing education in the city continued under the auspices of the new hospital, under the name Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses.
A further expansion of hospital services was required following the Second World War and, consequently, the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital was constructed, and opened on May 11, 1954. That same year the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital School of Nursing accepted its first students. Memorial Hospital continued to operate, as a chronic care unit of the new hospital. Beginning in the late 1950s, the hospital's School of Nursing facilities were modernized and expanded and re-opened in August, 1959 as the Dr. J.W. Snell School of Nursing.
In 1961, St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital established a 10 year plan for enlarging and updating its facilities. Construction began in 1964. By 1966 a new paediatric wing, emergency department, radiology, physiotherapy and male surgery wing were added giving a total of 301 beds in the active unit, and in 1970 the hospital's Cardiac Unit opened.
In 1974, the Province of Ontario transferred responsibility for nursing education from hospitals to community colleges. Beginning in 1975, the former St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital School of Nursing began operating as the St. Thomas campus of London, Ontario-based Fanshawe College.
The 1980s brought development of an ICU/CCU progressive care area with a bed capacity of thirteen, and the operating rooms were renovated, bringing the total of operating rooms to six, plus one recovery room.
Major construction again took place in 1990, providing new space for Materiels Management (including Central Stores and Central Supply), Rehabilitation Services and Long Term Care beds in the Continuing Care Centre (CCC). Patients were transferred to the new CCC from the old Memorial Hospital, which was then closed. Improvements in services continued through the 1990s, with advances in information technology and the addition of a CT Scanner, Bone Mineral Densitometer, Sleep Lab, and Mammography Suit.
The St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives was founded in 2000, with the assistance of hospital staff and volunteers including Donna Bethune, Mary Jane Doan, Susan Gordon, Steve Peters, Chris Stinson and Sue Wadley. The Archives was disbanded and its collection donated to the Elgin County Archives and Elgin County Museum in June, 2008.
Records were collected and maintained by the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives and donated to the Elgin County Archives by deed of gift in June, 2008.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records collected and maintained by the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives relating to the operation of the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital, the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Foundation, the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital School of Nursing, the Memorial Hospital, the Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses, the Amasa Wood Hospital and the Amasa Wood Hospital School of Nursing.
Scrapbook compiled by Brenda Edmonds documenting the history of nursing education in St. Thomas, Ontario, 1892-1986. Includes lists of graduates of the Amasa Wood Hospital School of Nursing, Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses, St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital School of Nursing and the St. Thomas Campus of the Fanshawe College School of Nursing; press clippings; photocopies of class photographs.