SkipHeaderLinkText

Revise Search

7 records – page 1 of 1.

91st Battalion Marching on Talbot Street, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives130884
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1916
Storage Location
Box 145, Envelope 95496 (Negative 1 of 14)
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 145, Envelope 95496 (Negative 1 of 14)
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1916
Scope and Content
91st Battalion marching on Talbot Street, St. Thomas, ca. 1916. View is looking northwest from White Street.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 29 (Hiawatha to Mondamin).
Name Access
91st Battalion
Subject Access
First World War
Military
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

91st Battalion Marching on Talbot Street, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives130891
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1916
Storage Location
Box 145, Envelope 95503
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 145, Envelope 95503
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1916
Scope and Content
91st Battalion marching east on Talbot Street, St. Thomas, June 25, 1916. View is looking northwest from White Street. Businesses visible on the north side of Talbot Street include R.H. and J. Dowler Ltd., clothiers, 489-491; R.H. Beattie, baker and confectioner, 515-517 (at street level in three-storey building with date stone reading "Central Block 1882"); P.R. Williams & Son, undertakers, 519; the Princess Theatre, 525; Porter & Nelson, jewelers, 527; Sandham & Roberts, electrical contractors, 531, "Everything Electrical" sign; William Barrett, barber, 533; Ranson A. Robins, cigars and billiards, 535. The Columbia Hotel on the northwest corner of Talbot and Mondamin Streets, 537-539, is just out of view to the right.
A small Japanese imperial flag is visible in a seond floor window above the Princess Theatre. It appears to be the ensign of the Imperial Japanese Navy and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force which was in use from 1889-1945 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_flags)
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 29 (Hiawatha to Mondamin).
Name Access
91st Battalion
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
First World War
Military
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Soldiers being recruited for the 91st Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives71286
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1916
Storage Location
Box 528, Envelope 99032
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 528, Envelope 99032
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1916
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Soldiers being recruited for the 91st Battalion, ca. 1916. At the St. Thomas YMCA. The Centre Street Baptist Church steeple is partially visible in the background. The signs on the doors read: "Join the Elgin Battalion' - with Battalion in some type of short form. The others say: "Pioneers Wanted" and "Recruits wanted" in the other building. The recruting office was described as being at 558 Talbot Street, in the 1916 City Directory. Located on the south side of Talbot Street, between White and Princess (Zone 12).
Name Access
91st Battalion
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Military
First World War
Copy Print Number
14
URL Notes
For contemporary view of street, see link in link field.
Images
Websites / Street View

Sutherland Press, St. Thomas, exterior

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77133
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: July 3, 2007.
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 319.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 21, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, ca. 1950. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
This view also includes Hal Kemp Motors Chrysler auto dealership, Moore Street water tower, City Cab stand sign, London & Port Stanley Railway tracks. Note also the parking meters on Talbot Street in front of the building: meters were installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947.
Not visible in this photograph, but still evident on close inspection of the building's facade, are stencilled First World War recruiting slogans, applied 1915-1916, encouraging enlistment in the 91st Overseas Battalion, C.E.F.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Copy Print Number
1109
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Canadian National Vimy Memorial Unveiling (Copies)

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives84106
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1936
Storage Location
Box 80, Envelope 24274
  2 images     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 80, Envelope 24274
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1936
Physical Description
2 negatives : plastic
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Copies of two aerial photographs of a large crowd at the unveiling of the Canadian National Vimy Memorial, in Vimy, France, on July 26, 1936. This copy was probably made ca. 1937 and the storage envelope has the name "Hamilton" on it.
Subject Access
War Memorials
First World War
Military
URL Notes
For more information, please see Veterans Affairs Canada's Canadian National Vimy Memorial website
Images
Websites / Street View

Nobility Chocolates Limited Factory

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives85309
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: March 26, 2007. Caption reads: "Nobility Chocolates Limited was located at 606-610 Talbot St., ca. 1920. Ca. 1928, it became Sutherland Press , which printed calendars, business cards and other business items".
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 20, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Nobility Chocolates Limited factory, 606-610 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, located on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets. Building later occupied by the Sutherland Press Ltd.. The BX Tower is visible, left background. Note the London & Port Stanley Railway signal hut to the right of the building: railway flagmen would use the hut when flagging traffic on Talbot Street to allow trains to cross the street. The John Donnelly restaurant is visible at extreme right: this business occupied the former Dake House on the southeast corner of Railway Street (now Princess Avenue) and Talbot Street.
Building was constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Taken over in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. Loder Sutherland was the last business that occupied this building, according to the St. Thomas directories. It is listed in the 1992/93 Directory, but then listed as vacant in the 1994/95 Directory.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross).
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

91st Battalion and Elgin Regiment Parading on Talbot Street

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives98668
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
June 25, 1916
Storage Location
Box 122, Envelope 26460
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 122, Envelope 26460
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
June 25, 1916
Publication
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 95
Physical Description
Plastic negatives
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
The 91st Battalion band marching east on Talbot Street toward the Michigan Central Railway Station, June 25, 1916 (see also Scott Studio 145_95903).
Name Access
91st Battalion
Elgin Regiment
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
91st Battalion
First World War
Soldiers
Military
Parades
Copy Print Number
91a
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

7 records – page 1 of 1.