SkipHeaderLinkText

Revise Search

6 records – page 1 of 1.

Arthur Voaden Vocational School, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77130
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1926
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98012
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98012
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1926
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior view of Arthur Voaden Voacational School, St. Thomas, ca. 1926, soon after construction was completed. Image retouched by photographer.
Name Access
Arthur Voaden Secondary School
Arthur Voaden Vocational School
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Schools
Education
URL Notes
For contemporary view, see Google Street View, accessed November 10, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Sutherland Press, St. Thomas, exterior

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77133
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: July 3, 2007.
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 319.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 21, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, ca. 1950. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
This view also includes Hal Kemp Motors Chrysler auto dealership, Moore Street water tower, City Cab stand sign, London & Port Stanley Railway tracks. Note also the parking meters on Talbot Street in front of the building: meters were installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947.
Not visible in this photograph, but still evident on close inspection of the building's facade, are stencilled First World War recruiting slogans, applied 1915-1916, encouraging enlistment in the 91st Overseas Battalion, C.E.F.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Copy Print Number
1109
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Arthur Voaden Voacational School, St. Thomas, under construction

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77156
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1925
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98037
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98037
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1925
Publication
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, April 17, 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/17153332456/in/photostream/.
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Upper right corner broken, piece missing
Scope and Content
Exterior view of Arthur Voaden Voacational School, St. Thomas, under construction, 1925.
Name Access
Arthur Voaden Secondary School
Arthur Voaden Vocational School
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Schools
Education
URL Notes
For contemporary view, see Google Street View, accessed November 10, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Margaret Avison

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives84943
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1935
Storage Location
Box 74, Envelope 22999
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 74, Envelope 22999
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1935
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Studio portrait of Margaret Avison, an Alma College student, ca. 1935. Avison (April 23, 1918-July 31, 2007) became an award-winning poet, twice winning the Governor General's Award and winning the Griffin Poetry Prize in 2003. She became an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1984.
Name Access
Alma College
Alma Ladies College
Subject Access
Schools
Education
Poetry
Images
Websites / Street View

Sutherland Boggs & MacKey

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives84946
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1935
Storage Location
Box 74, Envelope 23002
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 74, Envelope 23002
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1935
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Two studio portraits (on one negative) of Jean Sutherland Boggs, left, and probably Eleanor MacKey, both Alma College students, ca. 1935. Sutherland Boggs (June 11, 1922-August 22, 2014) became a prominent academic and art historian, and was the first female director (1966-1976) of the National Gallery of Canada. She was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1973.
Name Access
Alma College
Alma Ladies College
Subject Access
Schools
Education
Art
Images
Websites / Street View

Nobility Chocolates Limited Factory

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives85309
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: March 26, 2007. Caption reads: "Nobility Chocolates Limited was located at 606-610 Talbot St., ca. 1920. Ca. 1928, it became Sutherland Press , which printed calendars, business cards and other business items".
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 20, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Nobility Chocolates Limited factory, 606-610 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, located on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets. Building later occupied by the Sutherland Press Ltd.. The BX Tower is visible, left background. Note the London & Port Stanley Railway signal hut to the right of the building: railway flagmen would use the hut when flagging traffic on Talbot Street to allow trains to cross the street. The John Donnelly restaurant is visible at extreme right: this business occupied the former Dake House on the southeast corner of Railway Street (now Princess Avenue) and Talbot Street.
Building was constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Taken over in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. Loder Sutherland was the last business that occupied this building, according to the St. Thomas directories. It is listed in the 1992/93 Directory, but then listed as vacant in the 1994/95 Directory.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross).
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

6 records – page 1 of 1.