SkipHeaderLinkText

Revise Search

4 records – page 1 of 1.

Ford Sales and Service, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives109297
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1927
Storage Location
Box 179, Envelope 2010
  4 images     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 179, Envelope 2010
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1927
Publication
179_2010a was published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, June 3, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/27407954326/in/dateposted-public/.
179_2010d published in "The Scott-Sefton Collection: Elgin's History Through A Photographer's Lens, Volume 1", pg. 97.
All images posted on Facebook: October 5, 2020.
179_201-a was posted on Instagram and Twitter: October 5, 2020.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Scope and Content
Exterior and interior photos showing Ford Sales and Service car dealership, parts department and repair shop, 10 Mondamin Street, St. Thomas, 1927. The business was operated by James A. Mulligan and was located on the west side of Mondamin Street, just north of Talbot Street. 179_2010c and 179_2010d include partial views of the rear of the Columbia Theatre on the northwest corner of Mondamin and Talbot Streets.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 29 (Hiawatha to Mondamin).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Automobiles
Business and Industry
Retail
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Ernest Schram in "Schram's Garage" automobile

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives111961
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1923
Storage Location
Box 100, Envelope 97305
  1 image     2 websites  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 100, Envelope 97305
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1923
Publication
Posted on Facebook: July 2, 2021.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
View of Ernest Schram sitting in a service vehicle branded with 'Schram's Garage', which was parked beside an advertising sign for the business. Schram's Garage was located at 65 Wilson Avenue, St. Thomas. Ernest Schram operated the garage. The Wilson Avenue Armoury is visible in background. Playground equipment and a number of children playing can be seen on the Armoury grounds. St. Thomas Street Railway tracks can be seen running in the centre median on Wilson Avenue. The cars have licence plates dated 1923.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Wilson Avenue Armoury
St. Thomas Street Railway
Subject Access
Business and Industry
Railways
Automobiles
URL Notes
First URL directs to a social media post featuring the image, published on July 2, 2021.
Second URL directs to a more recent street view.
Images
Websites / Street View

Sutherland Press, St. Thomas, exterior

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77133
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: July 3, 2007.
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 319.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 21, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, ca. 1950. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
This view also includes Hal Kemp Motors Chrysler auto dealership, Moore Street water tower, City Cab stand sign, London & Port Stanley Railway tracks. Note also the parking meters on Talbot Street in front of the building: meters were installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947.
Not visible in this photograph, but still evident on close inspection of the building's facade, are stencilled First World War recruiting slogans, applied 1915-1916, encouraging enlistment in the 91st Overseas Battalion, C.E.F.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Copy Print Number
1109
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Nobility Chocolates Limited Factory

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives85309
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
  1 image     1 website  
Repository
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: March 26, 2007. Caption reads: "Nobility Chocolates Limited was located at 606-610 Talbot St., ca. 1920. Ca. 1928, it became Sutherland Press , which printed calendars, business cards and other business items".
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 20, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Nobility Chocolates Limited factory, 606-610 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, located on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets. Building later occupied by the Sutherland Press Ltd.. The BX Tower is visible, left background. Note the London & Port Stanley Railway signal hut to the right of the building: railway flagmen would use the hut when flagging traffic on Talbot Street to allow trains to cross the street. The John Donnelly restaurant is visible at extreme right: this business occupied the former Dake House on the southeast corner of Railway Street (now Princess Avenue) and Talbot Street.
Building was constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Taken over in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. Loder Sutherland was the last business that occupied this building, according to the St. Thomas directories. It is listed in the 1992/93 Directory, but then listed as vacant in the 1994/95 Directory.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross).
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View