Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

9 records – page 1 of 1.

Clark McDougall Paintings

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives140621
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Wallacetown Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
2011
Storage Location
R7 S5 Sh1 B1 F3 152
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Wallacetown Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R7 S5 Sh1 B1 F3 152
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
2011
Series
Wallacetown Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : col.
Scope and Content
Colour photograph of two paintings by Clark McDougall, during an exhibit on his work held at the University of Western Ontario's McIntosh Gallery, entitled "Fugitive Light: Clark McDougall's Destination Places", included in the Wallacetown Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume Nine, page 152.
Name Access
Wallacetown Women's Institute
Wallacetown (Ont.)
University of Western Ontario
Subject Access
Tweedsmuir Histories
Art
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Daniel Patterson

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives137040
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1965
Accession Number
2006-38
Storage Location
R7 S5 Sh5 B5 127
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2006-38
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R7 S5 Sh5 B5 127
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1965
Series
Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph of Daniel Patterson (1884-1968), included in the Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 1, page 127. Patterson resided on RR 8, St. Thomas. Beginning in 1949 and spanning over almost twenty years, Patterson assembled used Carnation milk cans into a structure that, when complete, was 87 inches high, nine feet long, and 67 inces wide. It was purchased by the National Art Gallery of Canada in May of 1970 for $1000.
For more information, please see National Art Gallery of Canada, Collections, Carnation Milk Can Assemblage: http://www.gallery.ca/en/see/collections/artwork.php?mkey=7953
Name Access
Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute
Yarmouth (Ont. : Township)
Subject Access
Art
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Daniel Patterson's "Milk Can Environment"

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives137041
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1970
Accession Number
2006-38
Storage Location
R7 S5 Sh5 B5 129
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2006-38
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R7 S5 Sh5 B5 129
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1970
Series
Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph of "Milk Can Environment" by Daniel Patterson, included in the Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 1, page 129. Patterson created the piece over the span of twenty years, and it won second prize in a world-wide contest. It was purchased by the National Art Gallery of Canada in May, 1970.
For more information, please see National Art Gallery of Canada, Collections, Carnation Milk Can Assemblage: http://www.gallery.ca/en/see/collections/artwork.php?mkey=7953
Name Access
Yarmouth Glen Women's Institute
Yarmouth (Ont. : Township)
Subject Access
Art
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Colour Illustration of Train Excursion to Port Stanley, 1872

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives152148
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
textual records
Date Range
ca. 1872
Storage Location
Box 248, File 9
R11 S5 Sh3 B3
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 248, File 9
R11 S5 Sh3 B3
GMD
textual records
Date Range
ca. 1872
Publication
Posted on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter : August 2, 2021.
Physical Description
1 photograph : col.
Scope and Content
Photograph of a colour illustration by Bohuslav Kroupa published in the "Canadian Illustrated News" issue of July 6, 1872 and entitled "The Cheap Excursion: One Fare There and Back". Reproduced in Christopher Andreae, "The London and Port Stanley Railway" (1974), p. 12. The carriage shown in the drawing is marked "Port Stanley" and the illustration may show passengers boarding a London and Port Stanley Railway excursion train to Port Stanley.
Name Access
Port Stanley (Ont.)
London and Port Stanley Railway
Subject Access
Railways
Art
URL Notes
Link directs to a Facebook post that features image ECVFB248F9. Published August 2, 2021.
Images
Websites / Street View

Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1978

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives56918
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1978
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 369
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 369
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1978
Series
Shedden Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : col.
Scope and Content
Colour photograph showing the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1978. Front row, left to right, George Silcox, Mrs. Edna Sells (secretary), Ralph Palmer; back row, left to right, Clayton Chamberlain, Lloyd Jones, Fred Helkaa, Alex Turner (agent), Clarence Hunter. Included in Shedden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 2, Book 1.
Name Access
Shedden Women's Institute
Shedden (Ont.)
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1945

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives56919
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1945
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 373
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 373
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1945
Series
Shedden Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1945. Front row, left to right, James Gunning, Ernest Jones, Mr. Campbell, Duncan Brown; back row, left to right, Kenneth Campbell, Clarence Hunter, John Campbell, George Silcox, Wilfred Sells. Included in Shedden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 2, Book 1.
Name Access
Shedden Women's Institute
Shedden (Ont.)
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Sutherland Press, St. Thomas, exterior

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77133
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: July 3, 2007.
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 319.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 21, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, ca. 1950. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
This view also includes Hal Kemp Motors Chrysler auto dealership, Moore Street water tower, City Cab stand sign, London & Port Stanley Railway tracks. Note also the parking meters on Talbot Street in front of the building: meters were installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947.
Not visible in this photograph, but still evident on close inspection of the building's facade, are stencilled First World War recruiting slogans, applied 1915-1916, encouraging enlistment in the 91st Overseas Battalion, C.E.F.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Copy Print Number
1109
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Sutherland Boggs & MacKey

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives84946
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1935
Storage Location
Box 74, Envelope 23002
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 74, Envelope 23002
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1935
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Two studio portraits (on one negative) of Jean Sutherland Boggs, left, and probably Eleanor MacKey, both Alma College students, ca. 1935. Sutherland Boggs (June 11, 1922-August 22, 2014) became a prominent academic and art historian, and was the first female director (1966-1976) of the National Gallery of Canada. She was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1973.
Name Access
Alma College
Alma Ladies College
Subject Access
Schools
Education
Art
Images
Websites / Street View

Nobility Chocolates Limited Factory

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives85309
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: March 26, 2007. Caption reads: "Nobility Chocolates Limited was located at 606-610 Talbot St., ca. 1920. Ca. 1928, it became Sutherland Press , which printed calendars, business cards and other business items".
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 20, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Nobility Chocolates Limited factory, 606-610 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, located on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets. Building later occupied by the Sutherland Press Ltd.. The BX Tower is visible, left background. Note the London & Port Stanley Railway signal hut to the right of the building: railway flagmen would use the hut when flagging traffic on Talbot Street to allow trains to cross the street. The John Donnelly restaurant is visible at extreme right: this business occupied the former Dake House on the southeast corner of Railway Street (now Princess Avenue) and Talbot Street.
Building was constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Taken over in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. Loder Sutherland was the last business that occupied this building, according to the St. Thomas directories. It is listed in the 1992/93 Directory, but then listed as vacant in the 1994/95 Directory.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross).
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

9 records – page 1 of 1.