Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

5 records – page 1 of 1.

Ken Watts in City Dairy Advertisement

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives189665
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Stollery Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
April 1, 1947
Accession Number
2018-57
Storage Location
M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1106
M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1107
M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1108
M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1109
  2 images     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Stollery Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Item Number
47-1026 (2_1106)
47-1027 (2_1107)
47-1028 (2_1108)
47-1029 (2_1109)
Accession Number
2018-57
Storage Room
Archives 4th Floor Storage Room
Storage Location
M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1106
M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1107
M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1108
M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1109
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
April 1, 1947
Publication
2_1107 published with advertisement in St. Thomas Times-Journal on April 5, 1947, page three.
Posted on Facebook : July 8, 2021.
Physical Description
4 negatives : plastic
Physical Condition
Good
History / Biographical
The St. Thomas City Dairy operated on the west side of St. Catharine Street from about 1928 to 1967.
Scope and Content
Photographs of Ken Watts, proprietor of Chestnut Grove Dairy, delivering milk to the Hillcrest Inn, Port Stanley. Images were taken for advertisement purposes. Caption from St. Thomas Times-Journal: 'Meet... / Kenneth Watt / Proprietor of Chestnut Grove Dairy Port Stanley / When visiting, of it residing in Port Stanley. Phone 179r12 and have Ken show you real friendly and courteous service. The milk for Chestnut Grove Dairy is pasteurized and bottled under perfect conditions at our St. Thomas plant. Remember Ken Watt this summer when holidaying in Port Stanley. / Next Saturday in this space meet Ken. Fry and Bob Burgess / Quality and Service With Courtesy / St. Thomas City Dairy / Bob Burgess, Mgr. Ken Fry, Tres. / 12-14 St. Catherine St. - Limited - Phone 946."
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Port Stanley (Ont.)
Hillcrest Inn, Port Stanley
St. Thomas City Dairy
Chestnut Grove Dairy
Subject Access
Advertisements
Related Material
Original photograph sleeve: M7 S1 Sh4 B2 2_320
URL Notes
Link directs to a Facebook post that features image M7 S1 Sh3 B2 2_1109. Published July 8, 2021.
Images
Websites / Street View

Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1978

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives56918
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1978
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 369
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 369
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1978
Series
Shedden Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : col.
Scope and Content
Colour photograph showing the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1978. Front row, left to right, George Silcox, Mrs. Edna Sells (secretary), Ralph Palmer; back row, left to right, Clayton Chamberlain, Lloyd Jones, Fred Helkaa, Alex Turner (agent), Clarence Hunter. Included in Shedden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 2, Book 1.
Name Access
Shedden Women's Institute
Shedden (Ont.)
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1945

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives56919
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1945
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 373
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 373
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1945
Series
Shedden Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1945. Front row, left to right, James Gunning, Ernest Jones, Mr. Campbell, Duncan Brown; back row, left to right, Kenneth Campbell, Clarence Hunter, John Campbell, George Silcox, Wilfred Sells. Included in Shedden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 2, Book 1.
Name Access
Shedden Women's Institute
Shedden (Ont.)
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Sutherland Press, St. Thomas, exterior

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77133
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: July 3, 2007.
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 319.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 21, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, ca. 1950. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
This view also includes Hal Kemp Motors Chrysler auto dealership, Moore Street water tower, City Cab stand sign, London & Port Stanley Railway tracks. Note also the parking meters on Talbot Street in front of the building: meters were installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947.
Not visible in this photograph, but still evident on close inspection of the building's facade, are stencilled First World War recruiting slogans, applied 1915-1916, encouraging enlistment in the 91st Overseas Battalion, C.E.F.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Copy Print Number
1109
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Nobility Chocolates Limited Factory

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives85309
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: March 26, 2007. Caption reads: "Nobility Chocolates Limited was located at 606-610 Talbot St., ca. 1920. Ca. 1928, it became Sutherland Press , which printed calendars, business cards and other business items".
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 20, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Nobility Chocolates Limited factory, 606-610 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, located on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets. Building later occupied by the Sutherland Press Ltd.. The BX Tower is visible, left background. Note the London & Port Stanley Railway signal hut to the right of the building: railway flagmen would use the hut when flagging traffic on Talbot Street to allow trains to cross the street. The John Donnelly restaurant is visible at extreme right: this business occupied the former Dake House on the southeast corner of Railway Street (now Princess Avenue) and Talbot Street.
Building was constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Taken over in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. Loder Sutherland was the last business that occupied this building, according to the St. Thomas directories. It is listed in the 1992/93 Directory, but then listed as vacant in the 1994/95 Directory.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross).
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View