Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

8 records – page 1 of 1.

St. Thomas Fire Insurance Plan: November 1943

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives125034
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Microform Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
records in electronic form
Storage Location
Microfilm Cabinet Drawer #20
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Microform Collection
Description Level
Item
Item Number
MF-88 1943
Storage Room
Archives Microform Room
Storage Location
Microfilm Cabinet Drawer #20
GMD
records in electronic form
Physical Description
1 pdf file
Scope and Content
St. Thomas Fire Insurance Plan: November 1943. Comprised of 23 sheets (sheets 7 and 8 missing). Produced by Provincial Insurance Surveys.
This pdf file was extracted from MF-88.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Documents

Profile Photographs, General Interest - C. F. Evans

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives157393
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
textual records
graphic material
Date Range
February 1962
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
R8 S4 Sh3 B6 291
  1 image     1 document  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R8 S4 Sh3 B6 291
GMD
textual records
graphic material
Date Range
February 1962
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Profile Photographs, General Interest file
Physical Description
1 photograph: b&w
1 newspaper clipping
Scope and Content
Black and white profile photograph showing C. F. Evans, who has been an agent and a director of the Yarmouth Mutual Fire Insurance Company for over 30 years. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on February 13, 1962 (R8 S4 Sh3 B6 291)
Clipping describing the 81st anniversary of the Yarmouth Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Pictured looking over records from the first year of the organization are C. F. Evans, agent and director of the company for the past 30 years; Miss Donna Evans, secretary-treasurer; and William E. Locke, a director on the board for the past 20 years. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on February 13, 1962 (R8_S4_Sh3_B6_291.pdf)
Name Access
Yarmouth (Ont. : Township)
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Business and Industry
Newspapers
Images
Documents

R8_S4_Sh3_B6_291.pdf

Read PDF Download PDF

Profile Photographs, General Interest - Miss Donna Evans

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives157476
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
February 1962
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
R8 S4 Sh3 B8 31
  1 image     1 document  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R8 S4 Sh3 B8 31
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
February 1962
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Profile Photographs, General Interest file
Physical Description
1 photograph: b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white profile photograph showing Miss Donna Evans, secretary-treasurer of the Yarmouth Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on February 13, 1962 (R8 S4 Sh3 B8 31)
Clipping describing the 81st anniversary of the Yarmouth Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Pictured looking over records from the first year of the organization are C. F. Evans, agent and director of the company for the past 30 years; Miss Donna Evans, secretary-treasurer; and William E. Locke, a director on the board for the past 20 years. This clipping is not included in the envelope. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on February 13, 1962 (R8_S4_Sh3_B6_291.pdf)
Name Access
Yarmouth (Ont. : Township)
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Business and Industry
Newspapers
Images
Documents

R8_S4_Sh3_B6_291.pdf

Read PDF Download PDF

Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1978

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives56918
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1978
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 369
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 369
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1978
Series
Shedden Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : col.
Scope and Content
Colour photograph showing the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1978. Front row, left to right, George Silcox, Mrs. Edna Sells (secretary), Ralph Palmer; back row, left to right, Clayton Chamberlain, Lloyd Jones, Fred Helkaa, Alex Turner (agent), Clarence Hunter. Included in Shedden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 2, Book 1.
Name Access
Shedden Women's Institute
Shedden (Ont.)
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1945

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives56919
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1945
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 373
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Shedden Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2011-12
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C9 Sh4 B5 F2 373
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1945
Series
Shedden Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1945. Front row, left to right, James Gunning, Ernest Jones, Mr. Campbell, Duncan Brown; back row, left to right, Kenneth Campbell, Clarence Hunter, John Campbell, George Silcox, Wilfred Sells. Included in Shedden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 2, Book 1.
Name Access
Shedden Women's Institute
Shedden (Ont.)
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Sutherland Press, St. Thomas, exterior

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77133
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: July 3, 2007.
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 319.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 21, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, ca. 1950. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
This view also includes Hal Kemp Motors Chrysler auto dealership, Moore Street water tower, City Cab stand sign, London & Port Stanley Railway tracks. Note also the parking meters on Talbot Street in front of the building: meters were installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947.
Not visible in this photograph, but still evident on close inspection of the building's facade, are stencilled First World War recruiting slogans, applied 1915-1916, encouraging enlistment in the 91st Overseas Battalion, C.E.F.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Copy Print Number
1109
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Nobility Chocolates Limited Factory

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives85309
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 37, Envelope 17512
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: March 26, 2007. Caption reads: "Nobility Chocolates Limited was located at 606-610 Talbot St., ca. 1920. Ca. 1928, it became Sutherland Press , which printed calendars, business cards and other business items".
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 20, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/.
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Nobility Chocolates Limited factory, 606-610 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, located on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets. Building later occupied by the Sutherland Press Ltd.. The BX Tower is visible, left background. Note the London & Port Stanley Railway signal hut to the right of the building: railway flagmen would use the hut when flagging traffic on Talbot Street to allow trains to cross the street. The John Donnelly restaurant is visible at extreme right: this business occupied the former Dake House on the southeast corner of Railway Street (now Princess Avenue) and Talbot Street.
Building was constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Taken over in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. Loder Sutherland was the last business that occupied this building, according to the St. Thomas directories. It is listed in the 1992/93 Directory, but then listed as vacant in the 1994/95 Directory.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross).
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

"St. Thomas Fire Insurance Plans, 1882-1943"

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives8503
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Microform Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
records on microform
Storage Location
Microfilm Cabinet Drawer #20
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Microform Collection
Description Level
Item
Item Number
MF-88
Storage Room
Archives Microform Room
Storage Location
Microfilm Cabinet Drawer #20
GMD
records on microform
Physical Description
1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm
Scope and Content
August 1882, revised September 1889. 5 sheets. Charles E. Goad.
December 1890, revised May 1903. 16 sheets. Charles E. Goad.
April 1906, revised May 1913. 36 sheets. Charles E. Goad.
March 1922. 17 sheets. Underwriters Survey Bureau.
March 1922, revised July 1929. 17 sheets. Underwriters Survey Bureau.
November 1943. 23 sheets (sheets 7 and 8 missing). Provincial Insurance Surveys. All Fire Insurance Plans except for the 1890/revised 1903 and the 1943 plans have been scanned in colour and can be found in the Map Collection and Don Cosens Collection, Fire Insurance Plans series.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Documents

8 records – page 1 of 1.