Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

4 records – page 1 of 1.

Catalogue of Canadian Fire Insurance Plans, 1875-1975

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives1773
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Reference Room Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2002
Storage Location
REF 34
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Reference Room Collection
Creator
Authors: Lorraine Dubreuil and Cheryl A. Woods
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Reference Room
Storage Location
REF 34
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2002
Publication
Ottawa, Ont.: Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives, 2002
Publisher Series
"Occasional Papers of the Association of Canadian Map Libraries and Archives" series
Physical Description
1 volume 500 p.
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans

Don Cosens Collection

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives193462
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Don Cosens Collection
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
graphic material
textual records
cartographic material
objects
Date Range
ca. 1817-2015
Accession Number
2018-58
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Don Cosens Collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2018-58
GMD
graphic material
textual records
cartographic material
objects
Date Range
ca. 1817-2015
Physical Description
128.7 cm of textual records
3,577 photographs
668 postcards
245 greeting cards
107 volumes
53 scrapbooks
119 programs
87 tickets
81 trade cards
81 sketches
67 invitations
39 business cards
38 documents
37 membership cards
27 booklets
22 posters
16 brochures
15 prints
9 calendars
5 fire insurance plans
5 objects
4 ribbons
126 newspapers
newspaper clippings
1 album
History / Biographical
Donald "Don" Leroy Cosens was born in St. Thomas, Ontario, on April 4, 1935, to Charles Roy Cosens and Viola Lulu Cosens (nee Smith). Cosens attended Myrtle Street Public School and St. Thomas Collegiate Institute in St. Thomas, and later, Westervelt Business School in London, Ontario. He married Lynda Karen Gloin of Yarmouth Centre, Ontario, on July 20, 1968, and they had two children, Mark and Josie (married Mike Nichol). Don worked for about three years at Clevite Corp, then became a law clerk at Stafford and Fanjoy Law Firm in St. Thomas, in 1960. A few year later, in October 1962, Cosens began working at the Elgin County Registry Office. He was appointed Senior Deputy Registrar three years later, and retired from the registry office in 1994 after a 31-year career. In 1969, Cosens also established an auction business, from which he retired in 1989, and his son, Mark Cosens continued this business. Cosens was involved in many local organizations in various capacities, including various masonic fraternal organizations and the Independent Order of Oddfellows. He served on various boards, including as a Member of the Board of the Canadian Red Cross, Member and President of the Board of Directors of the St. Thomas Cemetery Company, Member and Vice-President of the Board of the St. Thomas Mausoleum Board, and Trustee of the Talbotville Cemetery Board. He was also an active member on the Resoration Committee of the Old St. Thomas Church. Cosens had an interest in genealogy and local history, and was a member of the Backus-Page Tyrconnell Heritage Society, Heritage Port, the Elgin Historical Society and the Elgin County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. He also served as Director of the St. Thomas Jumbo Foundation and was Vice-Chairman of the St. Thomas Jumbo Centennial Committee. Don Cosens died on March 15, 2019, shortly before his 84th birthday. He is buried at Union Cemetery.
Custodial History
Collection was purchased from the Estate of Don Cosens.
Scope and Content
Collection contains historical material pertaining to the history of Elgin County, which was collected by Don Cosens throughout his lifetime. Material includes photographs, postcards, business records, records from local families and individuals, ephemera, land records, estate records, scrapbooks, newspapers and newspaper clippings, fire insurance plans, art and reference material and books. The collection also contains material that reflects Don Cosen's personal involvement in a number of local organizations, as well as personal photographs. The collection is arranged into the following series: Photographs series
Postcards series
William Hendershott series
Cameron Family Records series
Paddon Family Records series
David Fleming Hunter Records series
Wallace Verne Ferris Records series
St. Thomas Jumbo Centennial Committee series
St. Thomas Collegiate Institute Reunion series
Edna Bennett series
Estates Files series
Land Records series
Municipal World Inc. series
Reference files series
Scrapbook series
Carolyn Curtis Records series
Directories and Gazetteers series
Elgin County Local History series
Ephemera series
Fire Insurance Plans series
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans

A-Channel News relating to the Elgin County Archives

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives23668
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Audio-Visual Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
moving images
Date Range
2008
Storage Location
W6 B8
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Audio-Visual Collection
Description Level
Item
Item Number
AV 89
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
W6 B8
GMD
moving images
Date Range
2008
Physical Description
1 DVD-video
Scope and Content
A collection of news broadcasts related to the Elgin County Archives.
Including:
-Elgin County Sesquicentennial celebrations: April 15, 2002
-Times-Journal story: June 5, 2003
-House of Industry story: August 23, 2004
-West Lorne Fire story: February 8, 2006
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans

West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company fonds

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives8774
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company fonds
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1878-2004
Accession Number
2005-25
Storage Location
R3 S5 Sh3 B9 F24-27
R3 S5 Sh5 B16 F18
R7 S3 Sh3 B3
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company fonds
Creator
Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company
West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company
Ontario Municipal Insurance Association
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2005-25
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R3 S5 Sh3 B9 F24-27
R3 S5 Sh5 B16 F18
R7 S3 Sh3 B3
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1878-2004
Physical Description
40 cm of textual records
History / Biographical
The West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company and its immediate predecessor, the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, were products of an amalgamation effected in December 1978 between the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company. The Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company was established at Shedden, Ontario at an organization meeting held July 27, 1878. The company's first Board of Directors included George Silcox, A. Waugh, Charlie Newland, Daniel Turner, Andrew Horton, John Andrews and Tom Hunter. In 1905, John H. Sells was appointed company Secretary, serving until his son, Wilfred Sells was appointed in 1937. When Wilfred Sells died in 1953, his wife, Edna Sells became Secretary and served until the time of amalgamation in 1978. The Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company was established in 1880 at Dutton, Ontario, for the purpose of providing the farmers and other residents of Dunwich Township with low cost fire insurance. John Pearce was elected as the Company's first President, with Samuel McColl as Vice-President, A.R. Patterson of Iona Station as Secretary, and John Lyons of Wallacetown as agent/valuator. In 1882, a delegation from Aldborough Township petitioned the Company to extend insurance policies to residents of that township. A.R. Patterson was succeeded as Secretary in 1887 by John Pearce, who served until 1890 when he was succeeded by W.A. Galbraith. Galbraith continued as Secretary until 1938, when he was succeeded by his son, William Galbraith. In 1943 Clarence Blue was appointed Secretary and served until 1968, when he was succeeded by Don Mylrea. At the close of business on December 30, 1978, the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company amalgamated to form the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, with its headquarters in Dutton. Don Mylrea, formerly Secretary of the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, was appointed Secretary and Manager of the amalgamated company. At its annual meeting held February 24, 1989 the company was renamed the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company.
Custodial History
Records were stored at the offices of the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company, Dutton, and were donated to the Elgin County Archives in November 2005.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created, collected and maintained by the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company and its predecessors the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Fonds includes minutes of meetings, annual reports/financial statements and by-laws. Fonds comprises the following series: 1. Minutes 2. Annual Reports 3. By-Laws 4. Miscellaneous Records
Name Access
West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company
West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Dunwich (Ont. : Township)
Dutton (Ont.)
Shedden (Ont.)
Southwold (Ont. : Township)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Accruals
Expected
Access Restriction
Access to certain minute books is restricted.