Shedden Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
1 photograph : col.
Scope and Content
Colour photograph showing the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Board of Directors, 1978. Front row, left to right, George Silcox, Mrs. Edna Sells (secretary), Ralph Palmer; back row, left to right, Clayton Chamberlain, Lloyd Jones, Fred Helkaa, Alex Turner (agent), Clarence Hunter. Included in Shedden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume 2, Book 1.
Series consists of two publications created and collected by the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, containing historical information about the Company and its predecessors, the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, and about the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association.
R7 S3 Sh3 B3 F10 contains a copy of the publication West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company: A Century of Service, 1880-1980. Also, copies of motions amalgamating the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company to form the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, 1977.
R7 S3 Sh3 B3 F11 contains a copy of the publication Ontario Mutual Insurance Association: A Century of Protective Service, 1882-1982. Also, a 1979 Notice to Our Policyholders, 1986 renewal receipts and a copy of Alteration Endorsement forms, Applications for Other Than Farm Risk, and an Implement Schedule, 1975-1987. Also, Proof of Loss forms from 1960 and 1988, and an Alteration Endorsement form, 1988. A Claims Representative Memo, 1990. Also, an informational pamplhlet about kerosene heaters, ca. 1975. Also, invitations to events, 1980.
The West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company and its immediate predecessor, the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, were products of an amalgamation effected in December 1978 between the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
The Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company was established at Shedden, Ontario at an organization meeting held July 27, 1878. The company's first Board of Directors included George Silcox, A. Waugh, Charlie Newland, Daniel Turner, Andrew Horton, John Andrews and Tom Hunter. In 1905, John H. Sells was appointed company Secretary, serving until his son, Wilfred Sells was appointed in 1937. When Wilfred Sells died in 1953, his wife, Edna Sells became Secretary and served until the time of amalgamation in 1978.
The Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company was established in 1880 at Dutton, Ontario, for the purpose of providing the farmers and other residents of Dunwich Township with low cost fire insurance. John Pearce was elected as the Company's first President, with Samuel McColl as Vice-President, A.R. Patterson of Iona Station as Secretary, and John Lyons of Wallacetown as agent/valuator. In 1882, a delegation from Aldborough Township petitioned the Company to extend insurance policies to residents of that township. A.R. Patterson was succeeded as Secretary in 1887 by John Pearce, who served until 1890 when he was succeeded by W.A. Galbraith. Galbraith continued as Secretary until 1938, when he was succeeded by his son, William Galbraith. In 1943 Clarence Blue was appointed Secretary and served until 1968, when he was succeeded by Don Mylrea.
At the close of business on December 30, 1978, the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company amalgamated to form the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, with its headquarters in Dutton. Don Mylrea, formerly Secretary of the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, was appointed Secretary and Manager of the amalgamated company.
At its annual meeting held February 24, 1989 the company was renamed the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company.
Records were stored at the offices of the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company, Dutton, and were donated to the Elgin County Archives in November 2005.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created, collected and maintained by the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company and its predecessors the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Fonds includes minutes of meetings, annual reports/financial statements and by-laws.
Fonds comprises the following series:
2. Annual Reports
4. Miscellaneous Records
Ken Verrell Collection - Elgin Photographic Heritage Society records series
0.1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains historic items or copies of records created by the Scott Studio which were collected by the Elgin Photographic Heritage Society. Includes completed order forms, a photocopy of a Scott Studio advertisement and an advertisment card advertising special reduced prices to the RCAF. Also includes a renewal receipt from the Wellington Mutual Fire Insurance Company, issued to Thomas H. Scott, December 10, 1910 and a vendor's permit from the government of Ontario, iussed to Scott Studios, January 1, 1961.
Donald "Don" Leroy Cosens was born in St. Thomas, Ontario, on April 4, 1935, to Charles Roy Cosens and Viola Lulu Cosens (nee Smith). Cosens attended Myrtle Street Public School and St. Thomas Collegiate Institute in St. Thomas, and later, Westervelt Business School in London, Ontario. He married Lynda Karen Gloin of Yarmouth Centre, Ontario, on July 20, 1968, and they had two children, Mark and Josie (married Mike Nichol).
Don worked for about three years at Clevite Corp, then became a law clerk at Stafford and Fanjoy Law Firm in St. Thomas, in 1960. A few year later, in October 1962, Cosens began working at the Elgin County Registry Office. He was appointed Senior Deputy Registrar three years later, and retired from the registry office in 1994 after a 31-year career. In 1969, Cosens also established an auction business, from which he retired in 1989, and his son, Mark Cosens continued this business.
Cosens was involved in many local organizations in various capacities, including various masonic fraternal organizations and the Independent Order of Oddfellows. He served on various boards, including as a Member of the Board of the Canadian Red Cross, Member and President of the Board of Directors of the St. Thomas Cemetery Company, Member and Vice-President of the Board of the St. Thomas Mausoleum Board, and Trustee of the Talbotville Cemetery Board. He was also an active member on the Resoration Committee of the Old St. Thomas Church.
Cosens had an interest in genealogy and local history, and was a member of the Backus-Page Tyrconnell Heritage Society, Heritage Port, the Elgin Historical Society and the Elgin County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. He also served as Director of the St. Thomas Jumbo Foundation and was Vice-Chairman of the St. Thomas Jumbo Centennial Committee.
Don Cosens died on March 15, 2019, shortly before his 84th birthday. He is buried at Union Cemetery.
Collection was purchased from the Estate of Don Cosens.
Scope and Content
Collection contains historical material pertaining to the history of Elgin County, which was collected by Don Cosens throughout his lifetime. Material includes photographs, postcards, business records, records from local families and individuals, ephemera, land records, estate records, scrapbooks, newspapers and newspaper clippings, fire insurance plans, art and reference material and books. The collection also contains material that reflects Don Cosen's personal involvement in a number of local organizations, as well as personal photographs.
The collection is arranged into the following series: