Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

20 records – page 1 of 1.

Hartford Fire Insurance Company- Ontario Hail Office, Straffordville records

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124702
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Township of Bayham fonds
Description Level
File
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1950-1951
Accession Number
2013-17
Storage Location
R15 S4 Sh4 B2 F8
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Township of Bayham fonds
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2013-17
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R15 S4 Sh4 B2 F8
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1950-1951
Series
Township of Bayham fonds- Treasurer's series
Physical Description
3 volumes
Name Access
Bayham (Ont.: Township)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Access Restriction
CONFIDENTIAL

The Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives11018
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Letterhead Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1959
Storage Location
D36 F32
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Letterhead Collection
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
D36 F32
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1959
Physical Description
2 items
Scope and Content
The Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company E.G. Sells, Secretary Head Office, Shedden, ON
Name Access
Shedden (Ont.)
Business and Industry; St. Thomas
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Southwold (Ont. : Township)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans

Goad / Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plan fonds

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives5
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Goad/ Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plans fonds
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
April 1894- July 1952
Storage Location
M13- M15
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Goad/ Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plans fonds
Creator
Charles E. Goad Company, Underwriters' Survey Limited
Description Level
Fonds
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
M13- M15
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
April 1894- July 1952
Physical Description
74 map sheets: col.
Physical Condition
Good
History / Biographical
The Charles E. Goad Company and, later, the Underwriters' Association, produced fire insurance plans for communities across Canada, including several within Elgin County. Charles E. Goad was born in England in 1848. He emigrated to Canada in 1869 and eventually began business as a cartographer in Montreal. Following his death in 1910, the company was reorganized and operated under the name Charles E. Goad Company. This firm was responsible for a major share of the insurance plans produced in Canada until 1917 at which time the Underwriters' Survey Limited became the primary producer of these plans. Underwriter's eventually bought out the assets of the Goad Company in 1931.
Custodial History
Transferred from the J.J. Talman Regional Collection, University of Western Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of fire insurance plans documenting contemporary building features for the purpose of assessing fire risk. Information includes the type of construction, number of storeys and proximity to other buildings. Each plan consists of a number of sections which, when assembled together, constitute a complete map of the town/village at that time, with street and building names clearly indicated. Buildings are also colour coded according to the type of fabrication, with colours corresponding to a key plan on the first section. Periodically, these plans were revised. Dates of revision are clearly marked. These plans provide a detailed overview of contemporary community development and are an invaluable source of information for dating buildings and for use in matters such as environmental site assessments. The Elgin County Archives possesses plans for the following communities: Belmont, April 1894, Goad, 1 copy-- 1 sheet (1 section). Fingal, Oct. 1896, Goad, 1 copy-- 1 sheet (1 section). Shedden, Oct. 1896, Goad, 1 copy-- 1 sheet (1 section). Vienna, Nov. 1896, Goad, 2 copies-- 1 sheet (1 section) per copy. West Lorne, May 1906, Goad, 2 copies-- 3 sheets (3 sections) per copy. Springfield, May 1906, Goad, 1 copy-- 3 sheets (3 sections). Port Stanley, Feb. 1925, Underwriters, 3 copies-- 3 sheets (3 sections) per copy. Rodney, May 1906 (Charles E. Goad Company), 1 copy-- 4 sheets (4 sections); July 1926, Underwriters, 2 copies-- 4 sheets (4 sections) per copy. St. Thomas, March 1922 (Revised and Reprinted 1929), Underwriters, 1 copy-- 17 sheets (17 sections) per copy. St. Thomas, March 1922 (Revised and Reprinted 1929), Underwriters, 1 copy-- 10 sheets (10 sections) per copy. Port Burwell, 1896, Goad, 2 copies-- 1 sheet (1 section) per copy. Dutton, 1946, Underwriters, 3 copies-- 4 sheets (4 sections) per copy. Aylmer, 1952, Underwriters, 1 copy-- 6 sheets (6 sections) per copy.
Name Access
Charles E. Goad Company
Underwriters' Survey Limited.
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Accruals
(Acc. 2002-26).--"St. Thomas, 1929, Underwriters, 17 sheets", is from a separate accession.

Fire Insurance Plan- Aylmer, July 1952: Sheet 1

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives19
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Storage Location
M13
  1 image     1 large document  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Creator
Underwriters' Survey Limited.
Description Level
Item
Item Number
MAP 20
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
M13
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Series
Goad/ Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plans fonds
Physical Description
1 map sheet: col.
Custodial History
Transferred from the J.J. Talman Regional Collection, University of Western Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fire Insurance Plan: Aylmer, July 1952, Underwriters: Fire Insurance Plan, Sheet 1 of 6.
Name Access
Underwriters' Survey Limited
Aylmer (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Large documents / Zoomable Image

Fire Insurance Plan- Aylmer, July 1952: Sheet 2

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives191971
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Storage Location
M13
  1 image     1 large document  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Creator
Underwriters' Survey Limited.
Description Level
Item
Item Number
MAP 20
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
M13
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Series
Goad/ Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plans fonds
Physical Description
1 map sheet: col.
Custodial History
Transferred from the J.J. Talman Regional Collection, University of Western Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fire Insurance Plan: Aylmer, July 1952, Underwriters: Fire Insurance Plan, Sheet 2 of 6.
Name Access
Underwriters' Survey Limited
Aylmer (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Large documents / Zoomable Image

Fire Insurance Plan- Aylmer, July 1952: Sheet 3

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives191972
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Storage Location
M13
  1 image     1 large document  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Creator
Underwriters' Survey Limited.
Description Level
Item
Item Number
MAP 20
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
M13
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Series
Goad/ Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plans fonds
Physical Description
1 map sheet: col.
Custodial History
Transferred from the J.J. Talman Regional Collection, University of Western Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fire Insurance Plan: Aylmer, July 1952, Underwriters: Fire Insurance Plan, Sheet 3 of 6.
Name Access
Underwriters' Survey Limited
Aylmer (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Large documents / Zoomable Image

Fire Insurance Plan- Aylmer, July 1952: Sheet 4

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives191973
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Storage Location
M13
  1 image     1 large document  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Creator
Underwriters' Survey Limited.
Description Level
Item
Item Number
MAP 20
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
M13
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Series
Goad/ Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plans fonds
Physical Description
1 map sheet: col.
Custodial History
Transferred from the J.J. Talman Regional Collection, University of Western Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fire Insurance Plan: Aylmer, July 1952, Underwriters: Fire Insurance Plan, Sheet 4 of 6.
Name Access
Underwriters' Survey Limited
Aylmer (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Large documents / Zoomable Image

Fire Insurance Plan- Aylmer, July 1952: Sheet 5

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives191974
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Storage Location
M13
  1 image     1 large document  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Creator
Underwriters' Survey Limited.
Description Level
Item
Item Number
MAP 20
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
M13
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Series
Goad/ Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plans fonds
Physical Description
1 map sheet: col.
Custodial History
Transferred from the J.J. Talman Regional Collection, University of Western Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fire Insurance Plan: Aylmer, July 1952, Underwriters: Fire Insurance Plan, Sheet 5 of 6.
Name Access
Underwriters' Survey Limited
Aylmer (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Large documents / Zoomable Image

Fire Insurance Plan- Aylmer, July 1952: Sheet 6

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives191975
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Storage Location
M13
  1 image     1 large document  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Map Collection
Creator
Underwriters' Survey Limited.
Description Level
Item
Item Number
MAP 20
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
M13
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
July 1952
Series
Goad/ Underwriters' Fire Insurance Plans fonds
Physical Description
1 map sheet: col.
Custodial History
Transferred from the J.J. Talman Regional Collection, University of Western Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fire Insurance Plan: Aylmer, July 1952, Underwriters: Fire Insurance Plan, Sheet 6 of 6.
Name Access
Underwriters' Survey Limited
Aylmer (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Large documents / Zoomable Image

Don Cosens Collection

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives193462
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Don Cosens Collection
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
graphic material
textual records
cartographic material
objects
Date Range
ca. 1817-2015
Accession Number
2018-58
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Don Cosens Collection
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2018-58
GMD
graphic material
textual records
cartographic material
objects
Date Range
ca. 1817-2015
Physical Description
128.7 cm of textual records
3,577 photographs
668 postcards
245 greeting cards
107 volumes
53 scrapbooks
119 programs
87 tickets
81 trade cards
81 sketches
67 invitations
39 business cards
38 documents
37 membership cards
27 booklets
22 posters
16 brochures
15 prints
9 calendars
5 fire insurance plans
5 objects
4 ribbons
126 newspapers
newspaper clippings
1 album
History / Biographical
Donald "Don" Leroy Cosens was born in St. Thomas, Ontario, on April 4, 1935, to Charles Roy Cosens and Viola Lulu Cosens (nee Smith). Cosens attended Myrtle Street Public School and St. Thomas Collegiate Institute in St. Thomas, and later, Westervelt Business School in London, Ontario. He married Lynda Karen Gloin of Yarmouth Centre, Ontario, on July 20, 1968, and they had two children, Mark and Josie (married Mike Nichol). Don worked for about three years at Clevite Corp, then became a law clerk at Stafford and Fanjoy Law Firm in St. Thomas, in 1960. A few year later, in October 1962, Cosens began working at the Elgin County Registry Office. He was appointed Senior Deputy Registrar three years later, and retired from the registry office in 1994 after a 31-year career. In 1969, Cosens also established an auction business, from which he retired in 1989, and his son, Mark Cosens continued this business. Cosens was involved in many local organizations in various capacities, including various masonic fraternal organizations and the Independent Order of Oddfellows. He served on various boards, including as a Member of the Board of the Canadian Red Cross, Member and President of the Board of Directors of the St. Thomas Cemetery Company, Member and Vice-President of the Board of the St. Thomas Mausoleum Board, and Trustee of the Talbotville Cemetery Board. He was also an active member on the Resoration Committee of the Old St. Thomas Church. Cosens had an interest in genealogy and local history, and was a member of the Backus-Page Tyrconnell Heritage Society, Heritage Port, the Elgin Historical Society and the Elgin County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. He also served as Director of the St. Thomas Jumbo Foundation and was Vice-Chairman of the St. Thomas Jumbo Centennial Committee. Don Cosens died on March 15, 2019, shortly before his 84th birthday. He is buried at Union Cemetery.
Custodial History
Collection was purchased from the Estate of Don Cosens.
Scope and Content
Collection contains historical material pertaining to the history of Elgin County, which was collected by Don Cosens throughout his lifetime. Material includes photographs, postcards, business records, records from local families and individuals, ephemera, land records, estate records, scrapbooks, newspapers and newspaper clippings, fire insurance plans, art and reference material and books. The collection also contains material that reflects Don Cosen's personal involvement in a number of local organizations, as well as personal photographs. The collection is arranged into the following series: Photographs series
Postcards series
William Hendershott series
Cameron Family Records series
Paddon Family Records series
David Fleming Hunter Records series
Wallace Verne Ferris Records series
St. Thomas Jumbo Centennial Committee series
St. Thomas Collegiate Institute Reunion series
Edna Bennett series
Estates Files series
Land Records series
Municipal World Inc. series
Reference files series
Scrapbook series
Carolyn Curtis Records series
Directories and Gazetteers series
Elgin County Local History series
Ephemera series
Fire Insurance Plans series
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans

Land Records for 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas, Ontario

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives171772
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
textual records
cartographic material
Date Range
1900-1954
Accession Number
2017-33
Storage Location
Box 260, File 1 (R8 S3 Sh6)
M19 22 (oversized)
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2017-33
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
Box 260, File 1 (R8 S3 Sh6)
M19 22 (oversized)
GMD
textual records
cartographic material
Date Range
1900-1954
Physical Description
1 cm of textual records
1 plan
Scope and Content
File contains land records pertaining to property in St. Thomas, Ontario, located at 101 Stanley Street (Lot 3, Plan 23, St. Thomas). Includes the following items: Statutory Declaration, dated June 29, 1901, of William Newcombe in the matter of sale proceedings under a mortgage made by Thomas J. Stone and wife to Daniel Gilbert on July 1, 1900. Statutory Declaration, dated June 29, 1901, of George W. Smiley in the matter of sale proceedings under a mortgage made by Thomas J. Stone and wife to Daniel Gilbert on July 1, 1900. Statutory Declaration, dated July 2, 1901, of William L. Wickett in the matter of sale proceedings under a mortgage made by Thomas J. Stone and wife to Daniel Gilbert on July 1, 1900. Two Statutory Declarations, dated July 2, 1901, of Daniel Gilbert in the matter of sale proceedings under a mortgage made by Thomas J. Stone and wife to Daniel Gilbert on July 1, 1900. Statutory Declaration, dated July 2, 1901, of John D. Locke in the matter of sale proceedings under a mortgage made by Thomas J. Stone and wife to Daniel Gilbert on July 1, 1900. Receipt from the Canadian Fire Insurance Company, dated July 6, 1901. Long Special Agreement, dated October 3, 1919, between Francis S. & Emma Brickenden, and Charles & Clara Wooster, regarding the sale of 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Deed of Land, dated October 11, 1919, between James Coyne, and Frank S. & Emma Brickenden, regarding the the sale of 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas (oversized: M19 22). Deed of Land, dated January 1, 1920, between Francis S. & Emma Brickenden, and Clara Wooster, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Mortgage, dated January 12, 1920 between Charles Wooster and Francis S. Brickenden, regarding property at 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Tax Collector's Office notice issued to Mr. F.S. Brickenden on February 6, 1920, regarding tax payment for 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Mortgage, dated May 15, 1920, between Clara & Charles Wooster, and Robert T. Pincombe, for 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Statement from the Hudson Bay Insurance Copmany, dated May 18, 1920. Deed of Land, dated September 13, 1920, between Clara Wooster and Mary Beadie, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Deed of Land, dated May 3, 1921, between George A. Ponsford and Mary Beadle, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Deed of Land, dated May 2, 1921, between Mary Beadle and William W. & Francis Trott, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Memorandum of Agreement, dated May 3, 1923, between William W. & Francis Trott and Chester H. Smith, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Deed of Land, dated May 3, 1923, between William W. & Francis Trott and Chester H. Smith, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Correspondence, dated September 4, 1924, regarding a mortgage made by Clara and Charles Wooster to Robert T. Pincombe on May 15, 1920. Assignment of Agreement, dated September 5, 1924, between Chester H. Smith and Sperrin Chant, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas (2 copies). Deed of Land, dated September 5, 1924, between Chester H. Smith and Sperrin Chant, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Certificate issued by the Western Assurance Company to Harriet L. Shepherd for 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Receipts issued by Chester H. Smith to Harriet Shepherd, for insurance for 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Statement, cost of sewer repairs and a log of time worked by Frank Shepherd, circa 1933. Invoice issued to Mrs. Edison of 101 Stanley Street by H.E. Johnson & Sons, dated October 23, 1939. City of St. Thomas Notices of Tax Assement for the year 1939, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Receipt issued by Chester H. Smith, Real Estate & Insurance Broker, to Harriett Shepherd Edison, regarding insurance for 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas. Dated April 17, 1940. Long Form Article of Agreement for sale of land, dated October 23, 1944, between Harriett Louise Edison, and Charles Howard Thompson & Edna Irene Thompson, regarding 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas (2 copies). Plan showing a survey part of Lot 3, Plan 23 East on Stanley Street (showing 101 Stanley Street), St. Thomas, dated May 25, 1953. Includes correspondence from Fred A. Bell, Ontario Land Surveyor addressed to Charles Thompson of 101 Stanley Street, regarding the plan (oversized: M19 22). Fire Policy certificate, issued to Charles H. Thompson and Edna Irene Thompson from the London Assurance Company, insuring 101 Stanley Street, St. Thomas, dated July 12, 1954. Also includes correspondence from the insurance company.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Land Records

Sutherland Press, St. Thomas, exterior

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives77133
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 77, Envelope 98015
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1950
Publication
Printed in the St. Thomas Times-Journal: July 3, 2007.
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 319.
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, February 21, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/
Physical Description
1 negative : glass plate
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, ca. 1950. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
This view also includes Hal Kemp Motors Chrysler auto dealership, Moore Street water tower, City Cab stand sign, London & Port Stanley Railway tracks. Note also the parking meters on Talbot Street in front of the building: meters were installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947.
Not visible in this photograph, but still evident on close inspection of the building's facade, are stencilled First World War recruiting slogans, applied 1915-1916, encouraging enlistment in the 91st Overseas Battalion, C.E.F.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Copy Print Number
1109
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 22, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives46550
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Letterhead Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1957-1978
Accession Number
2011-06
2016-16
Storage Location
D33 F1
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Letterhead Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2011-06
2016-16
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
D33 F1
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1957-1978
Scope and Content
'Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company Dutton, ON.
Don Mylrea, Secretary-Treasurer
Clarence Blue, Secretary-Treasurer'
Name Access
Dutton (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Business and Industry

Fire Insurance Policy

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives46584
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dunwich S.S. #10 (Campbellton School) fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1955
Accession Number
2011-06
Storage Location
R2 S5 Sh3 B1 F12
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dunwich S.S. #10 (Campbellton School) fonds
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2011-06
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R2 S5 Sh3 B1 F12
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1955
Series
Dunwich S.S. #10 (Campbellton School) fonds- Administration series
Physical Description
0.2 cm of textual records
Name Access
Dunwich (Ont. : Township)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Schools
Education

Elgin Photographic Heritage Society - Scott Studio records

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives164559
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
textual records
Date Range
ca. 1910-1980
Storage Location
W1 B3 F13
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
File
File Number
W1 B3 F13
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
W1 B3 F13
GMD
textual records
Date Range
ca. 1910-1980
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Elgin Photographic Heritage Society records series
Physical Description
0.1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains historic items or copies of records created by the Scott Studio which were collected by the Elgin Photographic Heritage Society. Includes completed order forms, a photocopy of a Scott Studio advertisement and an advertisment card advertising special reduced prices to the RCAF. Also includes a renewal receipt from the Wellington Mutual Fire Insurance Company, issued to Thomas H. Scott, December 10, 1910 and a vendor's permit from the government of Ontario, iussed to Scott Studios, January 1, 1961.
Name Access
Elgin Photographic Heritage Society
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans

Ken Verrell Collection - Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Railway records

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives165264
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
cartographic material
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1925-1984
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Series
GMD
textual records
cartographic material
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1925-1984
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Chesapeake and Ohio Railway records series
Physical Description
25.9 cm of textual records
121 plans
14 booklets
5 prints
Scope and Content
Series contains records created by the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Railway. Series is comprised of the following subseries and files: Correspondence subseries
Files:
R4 S5 Sh1 B5 F22: Miscellaneous correspondence, 1931-1981
R4 S5 Sh1 B5 F23: Correspondence regarding property in Erieau, Ontario
R4 S5 Sh1 B5 F24: Internal correspondence regarding a stalled engine
R4 S5 Sh1 B5 F25: Correspondence regarding an agreement between the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway and Perfect Circle - Victor Division, VNG Auto Parts Ltd.
R4 S5 Sh1 B5 F26: Chesapeake and Ohio Railway correspondence related to derailments and derricks
R4 S5 Sh1 B5 F27: Chesapeake and Ohio Railway correspondence relating to a track extension in Wallaceburg, Ontario
R4 S5 Sh1 B5 F28: Correspondence regarding implementing a 40 hour work week Administrative records subseries
R4 S6 Sh3 B7 F1: Miscellaneous reports
R4 S6 Sh3 B7 F2: Fire insurance documents
R4 S6 Sh3 B7 F3: Internal bulletins and notices
R4 S6 Sh3 B7 F4: Train orders and clearance forms
R4 S5 Sh1 B7 F7: Miscellaneous administrative records
R4 S5 Sh1 B7 F8: Publications and manuals
Ephemera subseries
R4 S6 Sh3 B7 F5: Ephemera - timetables
R4 S6 Sh3 B7 F6: Ephemera – Chessie mascot Employee records subseries
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F1: Employee compensation
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F2: Miscellaneous employee records
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F3: Employee lists
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F4: Seniority lists, 1925-1937
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F5: Seniority lists, 1938-1943
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F6: Seniority lists, 1943-1946
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F7: Seniority lists, 1945-1953
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F8: Seniority lists, 1952-1957
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F9: Seniority lists, 1958-1960
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F10: Seniority lists, 1961
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F11: Seniority lists, 1962-1967
R4 S5 Sh1 B6 F12: Seniority lists, 1932 and 1943 (typed and bound)
R4 S5 Sh1 B7 F1: Seniority lists, 1972-1977
R4 S5 Sh1 B7 F2: Seniority lists, 1982-1984 Agreements subseries
File:
R4 S5 Sh1 B7 F3: Agreements and contracts Maps, plans and blueprints subseries
R4 S5 Sh1 B7 F4: Maps and plans – Elgin County
R4 S5 Sh1 B7 F5: Plans and correspondence regarding the Talbot Yard driveway
R4 S5 Sh1 B7 F6: Map showing Imperial Oil crossings in Sarnia, Ontario
M23 51: Plans showing proposed crossover in St. Thomas, Ontario
M23 52: Plans for proposed sanitary facilities in St. Thomas, Ontario
M23 53: Plans showing piping and fuel storage at the St. Thomas, Ontario Talbot Yard
M23 54: Miscellaneous plans – Talbot Yard, St. Thomas
M22 57: Plans showing the boat yard office building in Sarnia, Ontario
M22 58: Miscellaneous plans showing the Sarnia, Ontario railway yard
M22 59: Plans showing railway property in Chatham, Ontario
M22 60: Plans showing railway property in Wallaceburg, Ontario
M22 61: Plans showing railway property in Blenheim, Ontario
M22 62: Plans showing property leased in Erieau, Ontario
M22 63: Plans showing railway property in Erieau, Ontario
M22 64: Miscellaneous plans – Ontario
Name Access
Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (C&O)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Railways

Elgin County Fire Insurance Plans Collection

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives172066
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Fire Insurance Plans Collection
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
1894-ca. 1960
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Fire Insurance Plans Collection
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
cartographic material
Date Range
1894-ca. 1960
Physical Description
30 maps
Scope and Content
Collection consists of fire insurance plans of St. Thomas, produced in 1894 and 1903. Also included is a map of highways in Elgin County, dated ca. 1960.
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans

Miscellaneous land records / Estate records / Legal records

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives172876
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1914-1952
Accession Number
2015-31
Storage Location
Box 271, File 1
(M3 S1 Sh2 B3 F1)
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
File
Accession Number
2015-31
Storage Room
Archives 4th Floor Storage Room
Storage Location
Box 271, File 1
(M3 S1 Sh2 B3 F1)
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1914-1952
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file includes the following records:
-Insurance Policy for William J. Stewart, 19 Omemee Street, St. Thomas, from The London Assurance, August 15, 1914.
-Mortgage: Between Lloyd and Lily McCallum of the Township of South Dorchester, and Frank Maginnis of the Township of Malahide, May 29, 1924.
-Indenture between Catherine Parks of the City of Windsor and Barbara Munford of the City of Windsor, and Rosa Munford of the City of Detroit, and Ada Hauser of the City of Detroit, and Mary A. Vanloon of the Township of Aldborough, and Florence Kriter of the Township of Aldborough, and Margaret Mistele of the Township of Aldborough, June 23, 1928.
-Notice to Creditors: In the Matter of the Estate of Sarah Ann Zaff, late of the Town of Aylmer, March 31, 1931. Also, other records relating to her estate, 1931.
-records relating to the estate of John R. Watson, 1931-1937.
-Insurance Policies for E.A. Graham of the Township of Yarmouth, from The Yarmouth Mutual Fire Insurance Company: dated October 13, 1930 and October 9, 1933. Also, Statutory Declaration forms from Ernest Arthur Graham, dated December 13, 1932 and January 18, 1933, in the matter of the title to parts of Lots 4 and 5 in the 4th Concession of Yarmouth.
-Correspondence to Madeline Schario relating to Lot 18 East of Colborne Street and Lots 17 and 18 West of Francis Street, Port Stanley, July 29, 1931. Also, correspondence from 1936-1938.
-Correspondence regarding Andrew Schario, 1933-1936.
-Records relating to the Thomas Finney Estate, 1938.
-Registry Office, County of Elgin- Abstract of Title: for Lot No. 12 in the 2nd Range north of Lake Road in the Township of Southwold, dated March 20, 1952.
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans

Sutherland Press Limited

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives183019
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Public Library Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
January 1955
Accession Number
2018-07
Storage Location
M2 S1 Sh1 B1 F2 35
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Public Library Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2018-07
Storage Room
Archives 4th Floor Storage Room
Storage Location
M2 S1 Sh1 B1 F2 35
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
January 1955
Series
St. Thomas Public Library Collection- A Pictorial History of St. Thomas, Volume Two series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606-610 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, January 1955. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Images

West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company fonds

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives8774
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company fonds
Description Level
Fonds
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1878-2004
Accession Number
2005-25
Storage Location
R3 S5 Sh3 B9 F24-27
R3 S5 Sh5 B16 F18
R7 S3 Sh3 B3
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company fonds
Creator
Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company
West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company
Ontario Municipal Insurance Association
Description Level
Fonds
Accession Number
2005-25
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R3 S5 Sh3 B9 F24-27
R3 S5 Sh5 B16 F18
R7 S3 Sh3 B3
GMD
textual records
Date Range
1878-2004
Physical Description
40 cm of textual records
History / Biographical
The West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company and its immediate predecessor, the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, were products of an amalgamation effected in December 1978 between the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company. The Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company was established at Shedden, Ontario at an organization meeting held July 27, 1878. The company's first Board of Directors included George Silcox, A. Waugh, Charlie Newland, Daniel Turner, Andrew Horton, John Andrews and Tom Hunter. In 1905, John H. Sells was appointed company Secretary, serving until his son, Wilfred Sells was appointed in 1937. When Wilfred Sells died in 1953, his wife, Edna Sells became Secretary and served until the time of amalgamation in 1978. The Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company was established in 1880 at Dutton, Ontario, for the purpose of providing the farmers and other residents of Dunwich Township with low cost fire insurance. John Pearce was elected as the Company's first President, with Samuel McColl as Vice-President, A.R. Patterson of Iona Station as Secretary, and John Lyons of Wallacetown as agent/valuator. In 1882, a delegation from Aldborough Township petitioned the Company to extend insurance policies to residents of that township. A.R. Patterson was succeeded as Secretary in 1887 by John Pearce, who served until 1890 when he was succeeded by W.A. Galbraith. Galbraith continued as Secretary until 1938, when he was succeeded by his son, William Galbraith. In 1943 Clarence Blue was appointed Secretary and served until 1968, when he was succeeded by Don Mylrea. At the close of business on December 30, 1978, the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company amalgamated to form the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, with its headquarters in Dutton. Don Mylrea, formerly Secretary of the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, was appointed Secretary and Manager of the amalgamated company. At its annual meeting held February 24, 1989 the company was renamed the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company.
Custodial History
Records were stored at the offices of the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company, Dutton, and were donated to the Elgin County Archives in November 2005.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created, collected and maintained by the West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company and its predecessors the West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company, the Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company and the Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Fonds includes minutes of meetings, annual reports/financial statements and by-laws. Fonds comprises the following series: 1. Minutes 2. Annual Reports 3. By-Laws 4. Miscellaneous Records
Name Access
West Elgin Mutual Insurance Company
West Elgin Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Dunwich Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Southwold Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company
Dunwich (Ont. : Township)
Dutton (Ont.)
Shedden (Ont.)
Southwold (Ont. : Township)
Subject Access
Fire Insurance Plans
Accruals
Expected
Access Restriction
Access to certain minute books is restricted.

20 records – page 1 of 1.