- Part of Correspondence and Documents Filed By The Elgin County Clerk 1860
- Letter regarding coverage for the Court House by the Liverpool and London Fire Insurance Company.
- Dated 28 September 1860
Donald "Don" Leroy Cosens was born in St. Thomas, Ontario, on April 4, 1935, to Charles Roy Cosens and Viola Lulu Cosens (nee Smith). Cosens attended Myrtle Street Public School and St. Thomas Collegiate Institute in St. Thomas, and later, Westervelt Business School in London, Ontario. He married Lynda Karen Gloin of Yarmouth Centre, Ontario, on July 20, 1968, and they had two children, Mark and Josie (married Mike Nichol).
Don worked for about three years at Clevite Corp, then became a law clerk at Stafford and Fanjoy Law Firm in St. Thomas, in 1960. A few year later, in October 1962, Cosens began working at the Elgin County Registry Office. He was appointed Senior Deputy Registrar three years later, and retired from the registry office in 1994 after a 31-year career. In 1969, Cosens also established an auction business, from which he retired in 1989, and his son, Mark Cosens continued this business.
Cosens was involved in many local organizations in various capacities, including various masonic fraternal organizations and the Independent Order of Oddfellows. He served on various boards, including as a Member of the Board of the Canadian Red Cross, Member and President of the Board of Directors of the St. Thomas Cemetery Company, Member and Vice-President of the Board of the St. Thomas Mausoleum Board, and Trustee of the Talbotville Cemetery Board. He was also an active member on the Resoration Committee of the Old St. Thomas Church.
Cosens had an interest in genealogy and local history, and was a member of the Backus-Page Tyrconnell Heritage Society, Heritage Port, the Elgin Historical Society and the Elgin County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. He also served as Director of the St. Thomas Jumbo Foundation and was Vice-Chairman of the St. Thomas Jumbo Centennial Committee.
Don Cosens died on March 15, 2019, shortly before his 84th birthday. He is buried at Union Cemetery.
Collection was purchased from the Estate of Don Cosens.
Scope and Content
Collection contains historical material pertaining to the history of Elgin County, which was collected by Don Cosens throughout his lifetime. Material includes photographs, postcards, business records, records from local families and individuals, ephemera, land records, estate records, scrapbooks, newspapers and newspaper clippings, fire insurance plans, art and reference material and books. The collection also contains material that reflects Don Cosen's personal involvement in a number of local organizations, as well as personal photographs.
The collection is arranged into the following series:
St. Thomas: The Journal Printing Company Limited, 1914
Elgin County Vertical File Collection - St. Thomas and its Men of Affairs series
History / Biographical
From St. Thomas and Its Men of Affairs (grammar and spelling are as originally published):
Born in West Lorne, Ontario, December 12, 1880; son of W.W. and Emma (Fowler) Coulter. Educated in the public schools and St. Thomas Collegiate Institute. Upon the death of his father, February 16, 1901, Mr. Coulter and his brother took over the business which had been established since 1888; In August that year his brother withdrew from the partnership and Mr. Coulter has carried it on ever since and built up as large of a clientele of its kind as there is in the city. He specializes in Life and Fire Insurance and controls the business of some of the largest plants in the district. He is president of Western Dairy, Limited; member K. of P.; C.O.F.; I.O.O.F. No. 76; A. F. & A. M.; Mocha Shrine, and a member of the Christian Church.
Married, Miss Ada E. Mann. Of St. Thomas. There are two daughters in the family.
Residence: 86 Gladstone avenue.
Scope and Content
Photograph of W.R. Coulter with the caption "W.R. Coulter, Insurance and Real Estate", published in "St. Thomas and Its Men of Affairs" alongside his biography, excerpt above. Photograph is on page 49 and his biography is on page 48.
St. Thomas Public Library Collection- A Pictorial History of St. Thomas, Volume Two series
1 photograph : b&w ; 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
Exterior of the Sutherland Press building, 606-610 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, on the southeast corner of Talbot and Moore Streets, January 1955. Constructed in 1913 for the Noble Manufacturing Co. Ltd., biscuit makers - the St. Thomas fire insurance plan of April 1906, revised May 1913, indicates the building was under construction in April, 1913. Taken over in 1916 by Nobility Chocolates Ltd. The building was vacant from 1923 to 1926. Briefly occupied in 1927 by the Ross Leaf Tobacco Co. Ltd. Taken over in late 1927 by the Sutherland Press Ltd., Frederick W. Sutherland, president. From 1928 to 1955, Sutherland Press shared these premises with the St. Thomas Box Co. Ltd. (and in 1929 only with the Lenox Manufacturing Co. Ltd., makers of overalls). From 1957 to 1983 Sutherland Press Ltd. is listed in city directories as the sole occupant of the building. From 1985 to 1993, the property is listed under the business name Loder-Sutherland, printing and advertising. From 1994 to 1999, the building is listed as vacant. In 1998 renovations began, undertaken by owner Westpoint Country Homes, to convert the building into downtown condominiums, and from 2000-2001 the building is listed as Sutherland Towers. Listed as vacant, 2002-2003, and from 2004-2010 under the business name Personal Property Management.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 14 (Moore to Ross)