St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Profile Photographs, General Interest file
3 photographs: b&w
10 newspaper clippings
Scope and Content
Black and white profile photograph showing C. C. Eldert, an Arthur Voaden Secondary School teacher. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on May 7, 1966 and March 8, 1972 (R8 S4 Sh3 B3 193a)
Black and white profile photograph showing C. C. Eldert, an Arthur Voaden Secondary School teacher. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on May 7, 1966 (R8 S4 Sh3 B3 193b)
Black and white profile photograph showing Col. Charles Eldert. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on September 16, 1966 (R8 S4 Sh3 B3 193c)
Clipping announcing that Lieutenant C. C. Eldert, a member of the St. Thomas public schools teaching staff, is now in the British Isles with Canadian Army Forces. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on May 21, 1944 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193a.pdf)
Clipping announcing that two St. Thomas public school teachers on the staff of the Balaclava Street School received their Bachelor of Arts degrees from the University of Western Ontario. The teachers are Charles Clark Eldert, first assistant to Principal James H. Clinton, and Arnold Edward Bates, second assistant and music director. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on October 22, 1949 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193b.pdf)
Clipping describing how three officers and four non-commissioned officers of the Elgin Regiment received decorations during the general inspection of the regiment. In the upper photo, Captain C. C. Eldert, adjutant, who received the Canadian Decoration; Major E. G. King, second-in-command, who received the Efficiency Decoration; Lt.-Col. C. A. Low, O.C. the Elgins, who received the Efficiency Decoration and the Coronation Medal; Regimental Sergeant Major F. J. Fellows, who received the Coronation Medal; CSM. W. H. Beales, who received the Coronation Medal; CSM. Ambrose Casey, who received the Coronation Medal, and CSM. Max Phillimore, who received the Coronation Medal, are pictured with Brig. Pocock, who presented the decorations. In the lower photo, Brig. Pocock is pictured with five men who recently qualified for non-commissioned ranks: Cpl. R. M. Morriss, Cpl. G. H. Smith, Cpl. J. A. Cornell, Cpl. Russ Carr, and Cpl. G. R. Gale. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on December 16, 1953 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193c.pdf)
Two copies of a clipping announcing that C. C. Eldert has resigned from the Balaclava Street Public School staff to teach Grade 9 mathematics at Arthur Voaden Vocational School. He is currently studying to obtain a Department of Education high school assistant's certificate, which he requires for this position. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on March 22, 1956 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193d.pdf)
Clipping announcing that Captain Charles Eldert has been elected president of the Elgin Regiment Officers' Mess. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on September 19, 1957 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193e.pdf)
Clipping describing how Major Charles C. Eldert and R.S.M. T. W. Beales of the Elgin Regiment (27th Armored) left for Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, to attend the St. George's Day celebrations of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. Pictured at Crumlin airport with the two men as a send-off are John Carter, Stewart Marr, Mrs. F. L. Eaton, Mrs. Beales, Karen Eldert, Mrs. C. C. Eldert, Mary Eaton, Ruth Eldert, Julie Eldert, Mrs. W. C. Mattis, and Mrs. H. Carter. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on April 20, 1959 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193f.pdf)
Clipping announcing that Major Charles Eldert, commanding C Squadron of the Elgin Regiment, will be taking a two-week militia staff course at Fort Frontenac, Kingston. This course will lead to his qualification for regimental command or second-in-command. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on July 17, 1959 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193g.pdf)
Clipping announcing Major Charles Eldert will be promoted to lieutenant-colonel on January 29, 1964, and will take command of the Elgin Regiment from Lt.-Col. R. Law Chantler on January 30. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on January 22, 1964 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193h.pdf)
Clipping announcing the resignations of Miss Myrtle Evans, art consultant with the Elgin County Board of Education; Miss Elizabeth Crocker, a French teacher at Central Elgin Collegiate Institute; C. C. Eldert, the assistant mathematics head at Arthur Voaden Secondary School, and Mrs. Madeline Stewart of the Port Burwell Public School. The clipping also announces Wayne Neal's appointment to the position of principal of Elgin County’s first summer school. Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on March 8, 1972 (R8_S4_Sh3_B3_193i.pdf)
South Yarmouth Women's Institute fonds - Scrapbooks series
7 cm of textual records
7 photographs : b&w and col.
Scope and Content
Original scrapbook compiled by the South Yarmouth Women's Institute documenting Institute activities and Elgin County events, 1962-1970. Principally contains newspaper clippings, but also includes program for Yarmouth S.S. # 9 School (Union Public School) Grade 8 Banquet, June 12, 1963; program for mortgage burning ceremony, Park Avenue Christian Church, January 9, 1966; black and white photograph of Yarmouth S.S. # 9 School (Union Public School) Grades 7 and 8 students, 1964-1965; black and white photograph of Yarmouth S.S. # 9 School (Union Public School) teachers, 1967; five colour photographs of Union Public School (Yarmouth S.S. # 9 School) students and teachers, 1967; program for reunion ceremony, Mapleton Church of Christ, Kingsmill, June 25, 1967; and program for Arthur Voaden Secondary School commencement exercises, November 22, 1968.
Printed in TJ- 8 December 2003.
Caption reads: "This is a photo of the machine shop at Arthur Voaden Vocational School back in the early 1930's".
CP 373 was published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, September 16, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/29519229080/in/dateposted-public/.
Scope and Content
Interior views of three classrooms at Arthur Voaden Vocational School, St. Thomas, 1926, including the machine shop (CP673), home economics or "domestic science" classroom (673a), a science lab (673b) and a general classroom (673c). "Room 11" is written on the blackboard in image 673b. Image 673c evidently shows a classroom on the west (front) side of the building, on the second floor: the spire of St. John's Anglican Church on the west side of Flora Street is visible through the window. These images were published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal, September 4, 1926, p. 13.