Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

7 records – page 1 of 1.

Records relating to the discovery of a grave at the former Elgin County Jail Yard

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives164572
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2010
Storage Location
W1 B3 F16
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
File
File Number
W1 B3 F16
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
W1 B3 F16
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2010
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Elgin County History series
Physical Description
0.4 cm of textual records
History / Biographical
"During an archeological dig on the courthouse property in the former parking lot area on July 6, 2010, a single grave was unearthed, containing remains of two bodies. The grave was located in the area of the former prison exercise yard, within walls of the jail which was torn down in 1985. An investigation was conducted, and the remains were determined to be those of John Hendershott and William Welter. The archeological dig was undertaken in preparation for a $100-million expansion project at the courthouse facility. The Provincial Registrar of Cemeteries has given notice of the intention to declare the site an unapproved cemetery and, according to a notice, "invites representatives of the persons whose remains may still be interred in the former cemetery to contact the registrar within two weeks after July 28, 2010" (taken from the St. Thomas Times-Journal, July 21, 2010). "On Monday, September 27, the remains of William Welter and John A. Hendershott were reburied in St. Thomas Cemetery on West Avenue, near the Mausoleum. A simple ceremony, in the presence of about 20 people, was conducted by Rev. Roger Landell of First United Church and retired Baptist minister Rev. Clarence Roberts. Local historian Don Cosens also gave a eulogy. Their final resting place is to be marked by two flat markers." (taken from the St. Thomas Times-Journal, September 29, 2010).
Scope and Content
File contains records relating to the discovery of a grave at the former Elgin County Jail Yard. Discovered during an archaeology dig on the courthouse property on July 6, 2010, the grave contained the remains of two bodies, later identified as John Hendershott and William Welter. The file contains a printed copy of an e-mail from the property owner, Shmuel Farhi, with attached documents regarding the bones and process of relocating them, as well as the process of closing the cemetery to allow for development of the site.
Name Access
Elgin County Jail
Elgin County Courthouse
Subject Access
Elgin County Courthouse
Access Restriction
Access may be restricted due to privacy legislation. Please consult with the archivist.

Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas, Looking West from Metcalfe Street

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153921
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 53
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2016-30
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 53
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1920
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white postcard showing the Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas, looking west from Metcalfe Street, ca. 1920. The Elgin County Jail is partially visible at left. Caretakers are visible raking and sweeping. A fence surrounds and protects a newly planted tree.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Elgin County Courthouse
Elgin County Jail
Subject Access
Elgin County Courthouse
Court Houses
Images

Governor-General's Visit to Elgin County Court House, 1914

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives153328
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1914
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh4 B1 4
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Creator
Hopkins Studio
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh4 B1 4
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1914
Publication
-Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, August 26, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/28625725964/in/dateposted-public/.
-July 11, 2019: Posted on Facebook
-October 16, 2020: Posted on Facebook
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 23.5 x 35 cm on mat 40 x 51 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph of the exterior of the Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas decorated with Union Jack flags and banners. Shows the scene of the official visit on May 6, 1914 of the Governor General, HRH the Duke of Connaught and his daughter Princess Patricia: their itinerary included a brief stop at the Court House and the corner stone laying ceremony for the new St. Thomas YMCA building on the southeast corner of Talbot and Ross Streets. View is looking southeast and includes the Elgin County Registry Office (during their visit, an oak tree was planted near the Registry Office). Photograph was probably taken from an upper storey window of the house at 5 Wellington Street (northwest corner of Queen and Wellington Streets), owned at the time by William R. Jackson, President of Jacksons Limited jewelers and opticians.
Photograph is mounted on cardboard embossed in the lower right corner with the name of photographer James H. Hopkins, St. Thomas.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Elgin County Courthouse
Elgin County Registry Office
Hopkins Studio
Hopkins, James H.
Subject Access
Elgin County Courthouse
Court Houses
Heritage Buildings
Images

Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives154147
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1975
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 192
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 192
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1975
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Scope and Content
Two copies of a black and white photograph showing the main entrance and front elevation of the Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas, February 24, 1975. View is looking south from the intersection of Wellington and Queen Streets.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Elgin County Courthouse
Subject Access
Elgin County Courthouse
Court Houses
Images

Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives154148
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1982
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 193
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ken Verrell Collection
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R4 S5 Sh3 B1 193
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1982
Series
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
Scope and Content
Two copies of a black and white photograph showing the Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas, 1982. View is looking southeast from Wellington Street. The Elgin County Registry Office is partially visible at left. A note on the back of the photograph indicates it was submitted by student Rob Stokes as an assignment in Fanshawe College course Phot 111 for instructor Peter Lemon in March, 1982.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Elgin County Courthouse
Elgin County Registry Office
Subject Access
Elgin County Courthouse
Court Houses
Images
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Museum
Artifact Type
Court House
Material
Paper
Storage Location
ECPM
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Museum
Collection
Duncombe Estate
Artifact Type
Court House
Description Level
Item
Description
Program for Municipal and Judicial Officers Banquet and re-opening of the Court House.
Material
Paper
Sub-category
Documentary Artifact
Subject of Image
Elgin County Courthouse
Accession Number
995.2.356
Artifact Number
5503
Storage Range
basement
Storage Location
ECPM
Notes
Changed from 995.2.8
Images
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Museum
Artifact Type
history
Material
Paper
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Museum
Collection
Duncombe Estate
Artifact Type
history
Description
Book of the history of a 100 years of the Court House from 1800 to 1900
Material
Paper
Condition Information
Good
Sub-category
Documentary Artifact
Subject of Image
Elgin County Courthouse
Accession Number
995.2.462
Artifact Number
5504
Notes
Changed from 995.2.9

7 records – page 1 of 1.