Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, August 3, 2016: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/28746757615/in/dateposted-public/.
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Elgin County Court House, St. Thomas, ca. 1899, showing the reconstructed building following the fire of July 1, 1898. View is looking east along Wellington Street from William Street. View includes an electrified St. Thomas Street Railway car travelling on the system's "Belt Line". The flag pole mounted on top of the dome shown in this photo was removed ca. 1960 and relocated to the ground in front of the Court House. Note the absence of the cannons that now sit in front of the Court House - they were put in place in 1902. The St. Thomas Street Railway was electrified on June 1, 1898 - previously its cars were horse-drawn. File includes: