1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned, 16.5 x 22 cm, mounted on cardboard sheet 24.5 x 27.5 cm
Part of display in first floor hallway, Elgin County Administration Building. Removed for scanning, archival storage in November 2007.
Scope and Content
Photograph showing Elgin County officials, April, 1886, posed on the steps outside the main entrance to the original Elgin County Courthouse in St. Thomas, Ontario. Attached caption includes names of persons shown in the photograph. File also includes typescript copy of caption.
The following officials are shown in the photograph:
FRONT ROW- D. J. DONAHUE, Clerk of the Peace and County Crown Attorney ; A. CLARK, Deputy County Registrar ; D. J. HUGHES, County Judge ; D. BROWN, County Sheriff ; N. W. MOORE, County Gaoler ; K. W. McKAY, County Clerk.
SECOND ROW- C. MOORE ; E. LANGAN, County Turnkey ; UNKNOWN ; W. MOORE ; F. ROBERTSON, County Judge's Stenographer ; A. BARR, County Court Clerk's Stenographer ; D. McLAWS, County Court Clerk ; ? BROOKS, County Crown Attorney's Office ; A. GRANT, Deputy County Sheriff ; J. McCAUSLAND, County Treasurer.
St. Thomas Public Library Collection- A Pictorial History of St. Thomas, Volume One series
1 photograph : b&w ; 11 x 17 cm
Scope and Content
The first Elgin County Court House, built in 1853 ant the corner of Stanley and Wellington Streets. Fire destroyed the upper portion in 1898. The court house was then expanded in 1899. Extensive renovations were undertaken in 2013-2014 to bring the courthouse to its' presnt state.
St. Thomas Times-Journal articles relating to the Elgin County Court House, 1967-1984.
"Ghost story: Several unexplained at the old courthouse in St. Thomas have sent chills through many", London Free Press, April 30, 2004.
-"Lawyers demand action: End studies and start work on improving Elgin court facilities, they say", The London Free Press, July 16, 2005.
-"Courthouse rescue urged: Shmuel Farhi wants Premier McGuinty to help save the St. Thomas landmark he bought", The London Free Press, August 10, 2007.
"Elgin courthouse may get reprieve: The St. Thomas landmark is still among site being considered for the amalgamated courts", The London Free Press, October 26, 2007.
"Courthouse fight gains steam", The London Free Press, January 6, 2008.
-"Historic land office vacated for strip mall spot: Owner Shmuel Farhi is worried about building's fate", The London Free Press, June 28, 2008.
"Revamping courthouse may boost spirits: Ontario opposition leader John Tory and Mayor Cliff Barwick met to discuss plands to help offset the city's job losses", The London Free Press, October 25, 2008.