Acquired by the Elgin Historical Society. Stored as part of a much larger collection at the Elgin County Pioneer Museum. Moved to basement of Yurek's Drug Store after Museum fire in 2001. Donated to Elgin County Archives in December 2002.
Scope and Content
Colour perspective map of the City of St. Thomas, cloth, published in 1886 by J.C. Young and drawn by W.N. Wesbrook. Includes classified business directory and illustrations of prominent buildings, including Court House, Wellington Street; Daily & Weekly Times, Talbot Street; Knox Presbyterian Church, Hincks Street; Dr. T.W. Duncombe's Block, corner of Talbot and Southwick Streets; Paulin & Co. Hardware and J.H. Price Grocery Store, corner of Talbot and St. Catharine Streets; Grand Central Hotel, Talbot Street; Post Office, Talbot Street; Alma College, Moore Street; St. George Street Methodist Church; Catholic Church, Talbot Street; Goodwin & Jennings Furniture Store; Proposed Y.M.C.A. Rail Road Hospital; Hutchinson House, Talbot Street, Captain A. McBride, Prop.; A. McLachlin residence, Wellington Street; Baptist Church, corner of Southwick and Centre Streets; Thomas Williams Home, Church Street; Collegiate Institute; G.S. Caskey residence, Myrtle Street; Raiser's Brewery, Rudolph and Begg Prop., London and Port Stanley Road; E. Miller residence, corner of Curtis and St. George Streets; English Church, Wellington Street; City Roller Flour Mills, May Brothers Prop., Manitoba Street; China Hall and Silver Bazaar/ Opera House, Talbot Street.
Two architectural drawings showing exterior elevations and interior floor plans for a dwelling situated at 42747 Southdale Line, St. Thomas, Ontario (Central Elgin). Created by E.F. Karn on July 19, 1948 and is titled "Frame Cottage For C. Mellor".
Legal description for the property is PT LT 40, Plan 263 Yarmouth as in E41014; Central Elgin.
Photocopy of a Bygone Days feature, published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal in circa 1980s. Image of the Elgin County Registry Office in St. Thomas, Ontario. Below the image is the following caption:
"HISTORICAL BUILDING...The Elgin County Registry Office is located beside the courthouse on Wellington Street."
The Journal Building first opened on October 8, 1891 and was home to the Journal Printing Company. By 1899, the building was home to the Evening Journal, the Southern Counties Journal, as well as the Journal Printing Company. The building was demolished in 1936 and replaced with a new building that housed the S.S. Kresge Store.
Scope and Content
Northwest view of the former Journal Building located at Talbot and Hiawatha Streets in St. Thomas, Ontario.
Posted on Facebook and Instagram: February 5, 2018.
Ken Verrell Collection - Photographs series
1 photograph : sepia ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
History / Biographical
Dr. E.W. Gustin built his Victorian home in 1870, and it was later converted to his medical office in 1890. The house was constructed by J.M Green and has undergone a number of expansions and renovations throughout the years, reflecting the evolution of the building from a residence to a combination of home and surgery. In the 1920s, a small building was constructed on the property close to the street, which was used as his medical office. As of 2017, the house remains intact as the last original Victorian House standing on Talbot Street.
Dr. Gustin was a prominent community member and began practicing medicine in Fingal, Ontario, under the supervision of Dr. Travers. Upon Travers' death, Gustin married his widow and entered into partnership with Dr. Frank O. Lawrence in St. Thomas. In addition to acting as Elgin County's coroner for a number of years, Dr. Gustin also served as the Great Western Railway's company doctor.
The site of the Imperial Bank was built from investments from Dr. E.W. Gustin and friends in 1878. The building was significantly altered in the 1960s when the bank closed and it was purchased for use as an art gallery.
Scope and Content
Part of the Talbot Street streetscape featuring the Imperial Bank at 301 Talbot Street and the former office and residence of Dr. E.W. Gustin at 295 Talbot Street, in St. Thomas, Ontario.
View of Talbot Street, looking east from the train station across from Moore Street. A Canadian National Railways employee is pictured at the foreground installing a warning bell at the Talbot Street crossing. A portion of the former Sutherland Press building is pictured, as well as businesses including Charterways Terminal, a hardware store and the Mercury-Lincoln dealership.
View of Talbot Street, looking east from Hincks Street. Features a view of the Anderson's Department Store building at 410-424 Talbot Street, called the Anderson Co. Ltd. at the time, as well as the former post office at 403 Talbot Street, and the Mickleborough / J.H. Gould Ltd. Building at 423-427 Talbot Street. At the turn of the century, this part of the downtown had become the new business core.
Built in 1885, the exchange buildings remain intact as of 2017, as the largest block featuring a continuous architectural style on Talbot Street in St. Thomas, Ontario.
Scope and Content
View of Talbot Street, featuring part of the "Exchange Buildings" at 389-399 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, Ontario. This building was built in 1885 and has housed a number of businesses throughout the year. The following businesses are pictured in 1982: Jon's Jeans at 397 Talbot Street, D&D Optical and Johnson Hearing at 395 Talbot Street, and Tony's Huddle at 393 Talbot Street.
See p. 54-57 in Down the Street to Yesterday, for a complete list of businesses that have occupied the buildings from 1885-2000.
View of a portion of the southside of the Talbot Street streetscape in St. Thomas, Ontario, photographed from John Street, featuring part of the Acacia block (616-626 Talbot Street), which was built for William Idsardi in 1881. The building pictured at the centre, located at 630 Talbot Street, was purchased by the City of St. Thomas in 1966, and was later demolished to create a walkway from Talbot Street to the parking lot at the rear of the building.
View features Sanderson Hardware (624-626 Talbot Street), Art's Shoe Repair (630 Talbot Street), Wallis Plumbing and Heating (632 Talbot Street), and part of Tommy White's Sport Shop (636 Talbot Street).
View of a portion of the northside of Talbot Street in St. Thomas, Ontario, as the city was preparing 365 Talbot Street for demolition, to make way for a new walkway to the parking lot behind the building.
View features the Royal Bank of Canada (367-371 Talbot Street), J.H. Crang Brokers (365 Talbot Street), Goodwill Thrift Store (361 Talbot Street), and Jack Waite Appliances (359 Talbot Street).
Part of the Talbot Street streetscape, between Flora and Horton Streets, in St. Thomas, Ontario. View includes Kathy's Style Salon (709 Talbot Street) and two vacant buildings at 713 Talbot Street (formerly Rib Cage Restaurant) and 715 Talbot Street.
Part of the Talbot Street streetscape, between Flora and Horton Streets, in St. Thomas, Ontario. This circa 1980-1984 view includes Creative Edge Hair (729 Talbot Street) and State Farm Insurance (727 Talbot Street). The building at 727 Talbot Street was formerly a residence and, as of 2017, remains the last Victorian-era home in the east end of St. Thomas.
View of the intersection at Wellington and Ross Streets in St. Thomas, Ontario, in circa 1975. View includes residences on Wellington and Ross Streets, as well as the Sports Stop store on the northwest corner.
View of the Anderson's Building located at 410-424 Talbot Street in St. Thomas, Ontario. This photograph was taken when the Northway and Anderson Store occupied the building, in circa 1902-1910. The St. Thomas Business College occupied the third floor of the building, and a sign for the college hangs at the centre front of the building.