Two architectural drawings showing exterior elevations and interior floor plans for a dwelling situated at 42747 Southdale Line, St. Thomas, Ontario (Central Elgin). Created by E.F. Karn on July 19, 1948 and is titled "Frame Cottage For C. Mellor".
Legal description for the property is PT LT 40, Plan 263 Yarmouth as in E41014; Central Elgin.
Acquired by the Elgin Historical Society. Stored as part of a much larger collection at the Elgin County Pioneer Museum. Moved to basement of Yurek's Drug Store after Museum fire in 2001. Donated to Elgin County Archives in December 2002.
Scope and Content
Colour perspective map of the City of St. Thomas, cloth, published in 1886 by J.C. Young and drawn by W.N. Wesbrook. Includes classified business directory and illustrations of prominent buildings, including Court House, Wellington Street; Daily & Weekly Times, Talbot Street; Knox Presbyterian Church, Hincks Street; Dr. T.W. Duncombe's Block, corner of Talbot and Southwick Streets; Paulin & Co. Hardware and J.H. Price Grocery Store, corner of Talbot and St. Catharine Streets; Grand Central Hotel, Talbot Street; Post Office, Talbot Street; Alma College, Moore Street; St. George Street Methodist Church; Catholic Church, Talbot Street; Goodwin & Jennings Furniture Store; Proposed Y.M.C.A. Rail Road Hospital; Hutchinson House, Talbot Street, Captain A. McBride, Prop.; A. McLachlin residence, Wellington Street; Baptist Church, corner of Southwick and Centre Streets; Thomas Williams Home, Church Street; Collegiate Institute; G.S. Caskey residence, Myrtle Street; Raiser's Brewery, Rudolph and Begg Prop., London and Port Stanley Road; E. Miller residence, corner of Curtis and St. George Streets; English Church, Wellington Street; City Roller Flour Mills, May Brothers Prop., Manitoba Street; China Hall and Silver Bazaar/ Opera House, Talbot Street.
Guidal Directory Map of Elgin County Published by Map and Advertising Co. Limited Toronto Price $1.00
This map has been drawn and compile with great care from the best available data and original surveys but the publishers do not guarantee it to be absolutely free from error-disclaimer written on map
Also included with the map is an index (Name, Number, P.O., Description ( owner or tenant), Concession and Lot). At the end of the index it gives a list of all the post offices that are located in the township in question.
At bottom of map there is a Calendar for 1918
(>100 pages of photocopied pieces of the map-not in order to put back together)
Item consists of the Canadian Almanac for 1863, inside of which is the "County of Elgin Directory" profiling the following: The County's history (including biographical information on Thomas Talbot); early commercial activity; maintenance of the Port Stanley harbour; assessment values; population figures (including a demographic profile based on ethnicity and religious affiliation); overview of the court system, and a profile of schools and churches.
The following businesses in St. Thomas are profiled:
A. McLachlin, Bookseller and Stationer;
Red Flag Dry Goods;
Robert Carrie Dry Goods, Boots, Shoes;
Lindop Brothers Dry Goods, Liquors & Provisions;
St. Thomas Tannery;
Thomas Moore Stove, Lamp, Coal & Oil depot;
J.J. Clutton / Elgin Woollen Mills;
Henry Brown Lamps, Coal, Oil;
William Love Furniture and Cabinet Ware;
Walter Barr, Tailor;
The Elgin Tannery / William Lipsey;
The Elgin Iron Works / Armstrong & Hay;
W. Jackson Household Furniture;
D.J. Wallace, Photographic Artist;
St. Thomas Carriage and Waggon Manufactory / George Wegg;
J.A. Simpson, Taylor [sic];
Roe Brothers General Merchants.