Two architectural drawings showing exterior elevations and interior floor plans for a dwelling situated at 42747 Southdale Line, St. Thomas, Ontario (Central Elgin). Created by E.F. Karn on July 19, 1948 and is titled "Frame Cottage For C. Mellor".
Legal description for the property is PT LT 40, Plan 263 Yarmouth as in E41014; Central Elgin.
Acquired by the Elgin Historical Society. Stored as part of a much larger collection at the Elgin County Pioneer Museum. Moved to basement of Yurek's Drug Store after Museum fire in 2001. Donated to Elgin County Archives in December 2002.
Scope and Content
Colour perspective map of the City of St. Thomas, cloth, published in 1886 by J.C. Young and drawn by W.N. Wesbrook. Includes classified business directory and illustrations of prominent buildings, including Court House, Wellington Street; Daily & Weekly Times, Talbot Street; Knox Presbyterian Church, Hincks Street; Dr. T.W. Duncombe's Block, corner of Talbot and Southwick Streets; Paulin & Co. Hardware and J.H. Price Grocery Store, corner of Talbot and St. Catharine Streets; Grand Central Hotel, Talbot Street; Post Office, Talbot Street; Alma College, Moore Street; St. George Street Methodist Church; Catholic Church, Talbot Street; Goodwin & Jennings Furniture Store; Proposed Y.M.C.A. Rail Road Hospital; Hutchinson House, Talbot Street, Captain A. McBride, Prop.; A. McLachlin residence, Wellington Street; Baptist Church, corner of Southwick and Centre Streets; Thomas Williams Home, Church Street; Collegiate Institute; G.S. Caskey residence, Myrtle Street; Raiser's Brewery, Rudolph and Begg Prop., London and Port Stanley Road; E. Miller residence, corner of Curtis and St. George Streets; English Church, Wellington Street; City Roller Flour Mills, May Brothers Prop., Manitoba Street; China Hall and Silver Bazaar/ Opera House, Talbot Street.
A black and white photograph showing houses at 84 Hincks Street (Queen Anne style with a tower at the northeast corner, which is not shown) and 88 Hincks Street in St. Thomas, Ontario.
"[indiscernible] / Davey's" is written under the homes, likely identifying former ownership.
A photograph showing a house in Shedden, Ontario with an unidentified individual sitting on the porch, possibly a member of the Smith family. The words "Shutter closed" is written directly on the photograph.
The photograph was likely removed from a photo album, and has an additional photograph attached to the reverse, which shows a little girl identified as Mary Smith holding a leash attached to a dog identified as "Pat".
August 13, 2010: Published on the Elgin County Archives Facebook page.
Don Cosens Collection- Photographs series
1 photograph : b&w ; 7 x 11.5 cm
Scope and Content
A black and white photograph showing the house located at 109 Curtis Street in St. Thomas, Ontario. The man on the porch is likely Charles S. Simonds (see P172 - C3 Sh5 B4 F11).
The photograph was identified as being the "Waterman House". In the city directories, the Waterman family is shown as occupants of this address in 1923. Previous to this year, the Waterman family resided at 53 St. George Street in St. Thomas. In 1923, Annette Waterman (widow to Arthur), Charles Waterman (investigator, GTR & Wabash Railroad), and Estelle Waterman (secretary at Amasa Wood Hospital) are listed as occupants of this home.
A black and white photograph showing Mary Fitzgibbon standing in front of her home located at 24 Ann Street (later renamed 24 St. Anne's Place) in St. Thomas, Ontario. The reverse has "Jack Spurr from Mary Fitzgibbon 1917" handwritten in pencil.
According to her obituary, published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on August 29, 1934 (newspaper clipping available in file), Mary Fitzgibbon was a talented pianist and was the descendent of James Fitzgibbon, an officer under General Brock in the War of 1812.
A black and white photograph showing the house located at 6 Oliver Street in St. Thomas, Ontario, circa 1900. From left to right, the individuals pictured are identified as: Agnes Madden, Benjamin Brooks (brick mason), Mabel Madden, Jack Madden, and [first name unknown] Brooks.
The reverse has the following caption handwritten in pencil: "grandpa and grandma Brooks (Grandmother Madden's parents), Daddy in the doorway, Aunt Aggie and Aunt Mabel on left"
A black and white photograph showing the house located at 9 Oliver Street in St. Thomas, Ontario, circa 1900. From left to right, the individuals pictured are identified as: Florence Madden, Harry Madden, Henry Payne Madden, Ben Madden, Jack Madden (born January 14, 1874 in Toronto), Mrs. Henry Payne (Jane Melina Brooks) Madden, Jane Madden (eldest child) and Agnes Madden. The family came to Canada in April 1874, where they first settled in Toronto, Ontario until relocating to St. Thomas, Ontario.
A black and white photograph showing a house on Princess Avenue in St. Thomas, Ontario. A note accompanied with the photograph reads: "This is the original house were the Old Gardens is now located - it was the Fuke family's residence / Old Gardens on Princess Ave. My Grandmother's Great Grandma's House! (Fuke) / John Fuke - Marjorie Mansion"
A photograph showing Edwin Frost's house located at 33 Erie Rest Street (east) in Port Stanley, Ontario. Unidenfitifed individuals are pictured at the exterior house, and they are likely members of the Frost family.
A photograph showing the barn raising on the Merrill family farm on November 27, 1903, after lighting caused their original barn to burn down on September 4, 1903.
The following individuals are identified on the reverse of the photograph: