Stereoscope Card of "The Cliff House and Seal Rocks, the pride of San Francisco, from Sutro Heights, California, U.S.A." Also written is Home Office and Works. Copyright 1906 by C.L. Wasson.
This card would have been viewed through a stereoscope. A stereoscope viewed a card featuring two images separated to the left and right eye of the viewer. These two-dimensional images were then combined by the brain of the viewer to give the perception of three-dimensional depth. Hundreds of thousands of stereoscopic images were sold and stereoscopic images could be found in almost every middle-class Victorian drawing room or parlour. Special cameras were developed to make the images and popular subjects including portraits, scenery, comedic scenes, and images of far off designations.
Acquired by the Elgin Historical Society. Stored as part of a much larger collection at the Elgin County Pioneer Museum. Moved to basement of Yurek's Drug Store after Museum fire in 2001. Donated to Elgin County Archives in December 2002.
Scope and Content
Colour perspective map of the City of St. Thomas, cloth, published in 1886 by J.C. Young and drawn by W.N. Wesbrook. Includes classified business directory and illustrations of prominent buildings, including Court House, Wellington Street; Daily & Weekly Times, Talbot Street; Knox Presbyterian Church, Hincks Street; Dr. T.W. Duncombe's Block, corner of Talbot and Southwick Streets; Paulin & Co. Hardware and J.H. Price Grocery Store, corner of Talbot and St. Catharine Streets; Grand Central Hotel, Talbot Street; Post Office, Talbot Street; Alma College, Moore Street; St. George Street Methodist Church; Catholic Church, Talbot Street; Goodwin & Jennings Furniture Store; Proposed Y.M.C.A. Rail Road Hospital; Hutchinson House, Talbot Street, Captain A. McBride, Prop.; A. McLachlin residence, Wellington Street; Baptist Church, corner of Southwick and Centre Streets; Thomas Williams Home, Church Street; Collegiate Institute; G.S. Caskey residence, Myrtle Street; Raiser's Brewery, Rudolph and Begg Prop., London and Port Stanley Road; E. Miller residence, corner of Curtis and St. George Streets; English Church, Wellington Street; City Roller Flour Mills, May Brothers Prop., Manitoba Street; China Hall and Silver Bazaar/ Opera House, Talbot Street.
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Profile Photographs, General Interest file
3 photographs : b&w
1 p. textual records
Scope and Content
Black and white profile photograph showing William Hendricks published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on November 4, 1961. (R8 S4 Sh4 B7 100a)
Black and white profile photograph showing William Hendricks published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on December 16, 1961. (R8 S4 Sh4 B7 100b)
Black and white profile photograph showing William Hendricks published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on February 1, 1964. (R8 S4 Sh4 B7 100c)
Clipping, St. Thomas Times-Journal, December 16, 1961, describing the opening ceremonies of Eden Public School, attended by William Hendricks of Dorchester, contractor for the building. (R8_S4_Sh4_B7_100.pdf)