One black and white photograph shows Frank Travis in front of the Eden Cheese Factory, located just west of the rail road station. Included in the Eden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
Two black and white photographs show (77b) the home built by Harvey and Jane Caswell ca. 1885 on south half, lot 18, Concession 9, Bayham township. (77c) shows Ira Caswell with a team of horses. Ira was the only child of Harvey Caswell and Jane Stilwell Caswell. Included in the Eden Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
Series consists of family, farm and travel photographs. It includes a bound album of 232 snapshots taken c.1910-1913, attached at the top and labeled in ink on the reverse, some have come loose from the pages of the album. The remainder of the series consists of nine other photographs of family members and neighbours, including three large groups at three neighbourhood barn raisings, dated 1894 (Duncan Gillies farm, Black’s Lane, Aldborough Township), 1896 (Munroe farm, corner of Black’s Lane and Queen Street, Rodney), and 1896 (Colin Gillies farm, Black’s Lane and Solner Street).
-a programme for the 1924 Elgin County Plowing Match, held on the farm of J.H. Miller, near Dutton, organized by the Elgin County Plowmen's Association (copy).
-a list of Elgin County Plowing Matches, 1936-1968; lists the year, location, number of plowmen, number of lands plowed and the Champion Plowman.
-an advertisement for the annual Elgin County Plowing Match organized by the Elgin County Plowmen's Association, held beginning October 22, 1929 on the Dominion Canners Farm at Aylmer, just west of Orwell on Highway 3; published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal, October 22, 1929 (copy).
-an advertisement for the 46th Annual Elgin County Plowing Match, held September 6, 1980 at the St. Thomas Psychiatric Hospital Farm; taken from the West Lorne Sun and Rodney Mercury, September 4, 1980, p. 8 (copy).
Wallacetown Agricultural Society fonds - Indentures series
1 p. of textual records
Scope and Content
Articles of agreement dated October 20, 1936 for land to be purchased by the Wallacetown Fair Board from Stewart L. Pearce, specifically described as "eight acres adjoining the Wallacetown Fair Board property and situated on the west and south sides of the present Fair grounds."
The Wallacetown Agricultural Society was established under its original name, the West Elgin Agricultural Society, at a meeting held January 16, 1860 in the Village of New Glasgow, Ontario. Beginning in 1862, the Society was based in Wallacetown, Ontario and operated the annual Wallacetown Fair. The organization was renamed the Wallacetown Agricultural Society at the annual meeting held January 26, 1966.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records created, collected and maintained by the Wallacetown Agricultural Society and its predecessor, the West Elgin Agricultural Society, 1869-1984, including constitution and by-laws, general correspondence, maps of the Wallacetown Fairgrounds, and indentures for properties purchased by the Society.