SkipHeaderLinkText

Revise Search

7 records – page 1 of 1.

Repository
Aylmer-Malahide Museum and Archives
Material
Paper, glass, wood
Artist Name
J.S. Jenkins
Manufacturer
J.S. Jenkins
Repository
Aylmer-Malahide Museum and Archives
Collection
Framed Art Collection
Artist Name
J.S. Jenkins
Artist Notes
Photographer not in current list of known Aylmer photographers
Number of Artifacts
1
Description
Black and white photograph, sepia-toned. In the background of the image is a two-storeyed house, with two visible chimneys and an arched window above its doorway. In the foreground, along a fence extending from the house, is a group of people who pose for the camera. At the far left there are four women standing behind two other seated individuals, an elderly man and elderly woman. The elderly man holds a baby, seated on his lap. At the right is a horse, with a white blaze-type marking down its face. To its right are three men, all moustachioed, the leftmost of which wears a hat. Its matting is thin and also sepia-toned, and is captioned "J.S. JENKINS, AYLMER." It is displayed in a silver-coloured wooden frame and overlaid with glass. The frame is carved with an ornate, organic pattern.
Material
Paper, glass, wood
Medium
Photograph
Category
Communication Artifacts
Sub-category
Documentary Artifacts
Subject of Image
Agriculture
Men
Women
Children
Families
Families Animals
Animals
House
House Families
Accession Number
1991-015-0001
Length
24.1
Width
20.3
Height
2.8
Units
cm
Manufacturer
J.S. Jenkins
Manufacturer City
Aylmer
Manufacturer Province
Ontario
Manufacturer Country
Canada
Images

Advertisement

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/aylmer11911
Repository
Aylmer-Malahide Museum and Archives
Date Range From
1890
Material
Paper, wood, glass
Manufacturer
The London Printing and Lithography Company
Repository
Aylmer-Malahide Museum and Archives
Collection
Framed Art Collection
Number of Artifacts
1
Description
Framed lithographic print of an advertisement for Tudhope Sleighs. The image features two women in a red and black sleigh, who wear heavy coats and decorative hats, and are draped with a large, brown fur blanket. The sleigh is pulled by/surrounded by small caricatures of men of various ethnicities and in various dress. A large group of the caricatures are positioned in front of the sleigh, holding ropes extending from the sleigh. They are depicted mid-motion. One caricature sits at the front of the sleigh and holds the reigns, as if driving the others. Four more caricatures sit are in the sleigh with the women. One caricature is depicted mid-air behind the sleigh, as if he has fallen off. Two more push the sleigh from behind. One caricature runs behind the sleigh, depicted holding a green umbrella and wearing a pair of red-striped pants, and a tophat decorated with stars. There is a large body of water in the background, occupied by white sailboats. A dam and bridge runs from the right side of the image and into the distance at the left side of the image. The text "Tudhope Sleighs" sits at the bottom of the image, and the text "London Ptg. & Litho. Co." is at the bottom left corner. The image has a green border and is displayed with a white matting. Displayed in a dark brown wooden frame and overlaid with glass. The back of the frame is covered with a thin, brown paper. A wire runs horizontally across the back of the frame, attached to a metal loop at either side. At the top of the back of the frame is a sticker which reads "SINDEN'S LIMITED CUSTOM PICTURE FRAMING ART SUPPLIES 842-4932 193 Broadway St. Tillsonburg, Ont." The Tudhope Carriage Co. Ltd. was established in 1874 in Orillia, Ontario. By 1902 it occupied three blocks in Orillia's downtown core. As automobiles gained popularity, the company began to manufacture car exteriors. Most automobile companies made their own exteriors as time went on, so in 1924 Cockshutt Plow Co. bought Tudhope Carriage Co.
Material
Paper, wood, glass
Condition Information
Wrinkles, tears on print. Punctures in paper backing.
Category
Communication Artifacts
Sub-category
Advertising Medium
Subject of Image
Women
Advertisement
Businesses
Accession Number
2020-001-0119
Date Range From
1890
Length
70.3
Width
55
Height
3.5
Units
cm
Manufacturer
The London Printing and Lithography Company
Manufacturer City
London
Manufacturer Province
Ontario
Manufacturer Country
Canada
Manufacturer Notes
The London Printing and Lithography Company was established in 1890 as a subsidiary of the Free Press Printing Company. After its separation from the Free Press, the Company flourished until its stock dropped in the 1930s and became heavily involved in advertising. The company was liquidated in 1974.
Images

Advertisement

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/aylmer11912
Repository
Aylmer-Malahide Museum and Archives
Date Range From
1890
Material
Paper, wood, glass
Manufacturer
The London Printing and Lithography Company
Repository
Aylmer-Malahide Museum and Archives
Collection
Framed Art Collection
Number of Artifacts
1
Description
Framed lithographic print of an advertisement for Tudhope Carriages. It depicts four people (two men and two women) in a two-horse carriage. A man with a white, curled moustache, a black top hat, and a brown jacket sits in the front seat, holding the reigns and a long whip. A woman in a pink and white dress sits at his left, in a decorative pink hat with a wide brim. In the backseat is a man with a brown, curled moustache, and a grey hat and jacket, and a woman with a blue hat and dress with a pink parasol. The carriage is a dark blue in colour, and has a yellow interior. Its top is folded down at the back of the carriage. The horses are depicted in motion, mid-stride. They are bay horses with white socks, and they wear black harnesses and blinders. There is a lake or river in the background, which wide waterfalls flow into. A single steamboat sits at the left side of the image. The text "Tudhope Carriages" is at the bottom left corner of the image, and the text " London Ptg. & Litho. Co." is at the bottom right corner. It has a white border, surrounded by a grey border. White matting. Displayed in a dark brown wooden frame and overlaid with glass. The back of the frame is covered with a thin, brown paper. A wire runs horizontally across the back of the frame, attached to a metal loop at either side. At the top of the back of the frame is a sticker which reads "SINDEN'S LIMITED CUSTOM PICTURE FRAMING ART SUPPLIES 842-4932 193 Broadway St. Tillsonburg, Ont." The Tudhope Carriage Co. Ltd. was established in 1874 in Orillia, Ontario. By 1902 it occupied three blocks in Orillia's downtown core. As automobiles gained popularity, the company began to manufacture car exteriors. Most automobile companies made their own exteriors as time went on, so in 1924 Cockshutt Plow Co. bought Tudhope Carriage Co.
Material
Paper, wood, glass
Condition Information
Wrinkles, tears on print. Punctures in paper backing.
Category
Communication Artifacts
Sub-category
Advertising Medium
Subject of Image
Advertisement
Animals
Carriages
Carriages horses
Accession Number
2020-001-0120
Date Range From
1890
Length
72.5
Width
53
Height
3.5
Units
cm
Manufacturer
The London Printing and Lithography Company
Manufacturer City
London
Manufacturer Province
Ontario
Manufacturer Country
Canada
Manufacturer Notes
The London Printing and Lithography Company was established in 1890 as a subsidiary of the Free Press Printing Company. After its separation from the Free Press, the Company flourished until its stock dropped in the 1930s and became heavily involved in advertising. The company was liquidated in 1974.
Images
Repository
Elgin County Museum
Material
Paper
Storage Location
ECPM
Repository
Elgin County Museum
Description
Poster to advertise Retail merchants picnic. Aug. 14 1901. Port Stanley "Counter Hoppers' Frolic"
Material
Paper
Sub-category
Advertising Medium
Accession Number
995.2.467
Artifact Number
5501
Storage Range
basement
Storage Location
ECPM
Origin Province
Ontario
Origin Country
Canada
Notes
995.2.10
Repository
Elgin County Museum
Artifact Type
oars
Material
Wood
Manufacturer
Peterborough Canoe Co. Ltd.
Storage Location
Collections Storage
Repository
Elgin County Museum
Artifact Type
oars
Description Level
Pair
Description
pair of miniature wooden oars, from Peterborough Canoes; has small red logo on each.
Material
Wood
Condition Information
good
Sub-category
Advertising Medium
Accession Number
994.7.3 994.7.4
Artifact Number
5137a, b
Storage Range
R10 S3 Sh5
Storage Location
Collections Storage
Length
18
Units
inches
Manufacturer
Peterborough Canoe Co. Ltd.
Manufacturer City
Peterborough
Manufacturer Province
Ontario
Manufacturer Country
Canada
Images
Repository
Elgin County Museum
Material
Paper
Manufacturer
Konig & Stuffman
Repository
Elgin County Museum
Description
Black and white printed catalogue for corsets and women's clothes. Some coloured pages. Cover - "P.D. Corsets", " Designed after the most successful straight-front type, supple, elegant, graceful, retaining their shape faultlessly after long wear these matchless corsets are the favorite alike of the fastidious women & the expert modiste. The former knows that nothing will give her the same supberb figure & perfect comfort; the latter that with no other corse - will her gowns fit so perfectly or look so modish." Bottom, left " Prices $1.25 to $10.00"
Material
Paper
Condition Information
Fair, faded, stain on cover, cover at spine is torn. Bottom edge and corner, torn. Top right corner has been folded.
Category
Tools & Equipment for Communication
Sub-category
Advertising Medium
Accession Number
020.002.001
Date Range
1902
Length
28
Width
20.2
Units
cm
Origin City
Montreal
Origin Province
Ontario
Origin Country
Canada
Manufacturer
Konig & Stuffman
Manufacture Notes
"Victoria Square Montreal, P.Q."
Municipal Origin
Paynes Mills
Notes
Found in 1842, donor kept for 70 years.
Item History
Donor lived on farm at Longhurst Line, between Paynes Mills. Found in a barn at 8 years old in 1942.
Images
Repository
Elgin County Museum
Artifact Type
banner
Repository
Elgin County Museum
Artifact Type
banner
Description
Large white banner for St. Thomas Rotary Club. The banner has a wooden pole at the top to hold it straight with gold coloured tassels. At the top of the banner are yellow tassels that span the width of the banner. In blue letters, at the top, is "ROTARY CLUB". In the center of the banner is the Rotary gear symbol, it is yellow and blue. "ROTARY INTERNATIONAL" is in yellow on the blue gear symbol. Towards the bottom of the banner is "ST. THOMAS ONTARIO" in blue felt letters.
Category
Communication Artifact
Sub-category
Advertising Medium
Accession Number
020.036.069
File Number
020.036
Origin City
St. Thomas
Origin Province
Ontario
Origin Country
Canada

7 records – page 1 of 1.