Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

8 records – page 1 of 1.

Hotel Talbot, St. Thomas, destroyed by fire, 1951

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124946
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1951
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 12
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 12
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1951
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the Hotel Talbot, St. Thomas, destroyed by fire, November 25, 1951. View is looking northeast from the intersection of Talbot and St. Catharine Streets. Also visible is a truck marked "Dominion Gas Co. Ltd.", the Hotel Talbot Sandwich Shop, a parking meter on the east side of St. Catharine Street (meters were only installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947), and what appears to be a portable generator.
Stollery Studio, St. Thomas photograph.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 31 (St. Catharine to John).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Hotel Talbot
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
Hotels
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Engineers Building, St. Thomas, destroyed by fire, 1951

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives124947
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1951
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 13
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Dave Rock Collection
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2014-07
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R9 S4 Sh3 B5 13
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1951
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 25.5 x 20.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the Engineers Building, St. Thomas, damaged by fire, January 28, 1951. View includes Ashbury's Mens Shop, McPhillips Appliances and Furniture, Johnson's Drugs, Simpson's order office, and the Masonic Temple on the third floor. Several unidentified St. Thomas Fire Department officers are shown, including (at far left) an officer who may be Chief Alex R. Sutherland. Parking meters are also visible (meters were only installed in St. Thomas ca. 1947).
Stollery Studio, St. Thomas photograph.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 30 (Mondamin to St. Catharine).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Fire Department
Subject Access
Fire Departments
Emergency Services
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Store Interior - Cooking School

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives21737
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Anderson Department Store fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1949
Accession Number
2004-05
Storage Location
C5 Sh6 B1 F14 19
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Anderson Department Store fonds
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2004-05
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C5 Sh6 B1 F14 19
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1949
Publication
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4351748654/in/set-72157623295647373/.
Posted on Facebook: September 23, 2021.
Series
Anderson Department Store fonds - Andersons Limited series
Anderson Department Store fonds - Andersons Limited series - Photographs sub-series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the in-store cooking school at the Anderson Department Store, October, 1949. Stamped on reverse with the logo of the Stollery Photographic Studio, St. Thomas, Ontario.
Name Access
Anderson Department Store
Andersons Limited
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Stollery Studio
Subject Access
Business and Industry
URL Notes
Link directs to a Facebook post featuring the image.
Images
Websites / Street View

Construction, September 10, 1952

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives22151
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1952
Accession Number
2008-13
Storage Location
C6 Sh6 B8 F1 #41
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-13
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C6 Sh6 B8 F1 #41
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1952
Publication
June 10, 2021: Posted to Facebook and Instagram.
Series
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital Archives fonds - Photographs series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the construction of the St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital, St. Thomas, Ontario, September 10, 1952.
Name Access
St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Stollery Studio
Subject Access
Hospitals
URL Notes
Link directs to a Facebook post that features image. Published on June 9, 2021.
Images
Websites / Street View

Elgin County Main Streets, 1952 - Aylmer

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives114105
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1952
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C9 Sh3 B4 F24 5
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C9 Sh3 B4 F24 5
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1952
Publication
Posted on Facebook : July 7, 2021.
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Elgin County Main Streets, 1952 file
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph used in St. Thomas Times-Journal August 1, 1952 edition celebrating the centennial of the formation of Elgin County showing Main Street in Aylmer, looking east.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Stollery Studio
Aylmer (Ont.)
Subject Access
Newspapers
URL Notes
Link directs to a Facebook post that features image C9 Sh3 B4 F24 5. Published July 7, 2021.
Images
Websites / Street View

Charter Night Meeting, Port Stanley and Area Kiwanis Club

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives114963
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Port Stanley Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
April 2, 1951
Storage Location
R2 S6 Sh1 B4 F2 250
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Port Stanley Women's Institute fonds
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R2 S6 Sh1 B4 F2 250
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
April 2, 1951
Series
Port Stanley Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph shows members of the newly formed Kiwanis Club for Port Stanley and area. The photograph was taken before their Charter Night meeting at the Stork Club in Port Stanley, April 2, 1951.. Identified, left to right. Front row: Norman Pullen, Larry Dimmick, Rodney Roush, Ezra Fahner, Ernie Fahner, Art New (secretary), Alfred Bugg, William McIntryre, Rev. Howard Rokeby-Thomas, Ross Hepburn, Fred Battram Centre: George Dawson (treasurer), Ralph Watt, Joseph Sharpe, Henry Parker, Wilfred Milligan, Harmon Clark, Ken Turnbull (vice-president), Jack Brumpton, W. C. Wheaton (president), Tom Goodland. Back: Albert Marcks, Cecil Marr, Mark Berry, Bill Greason, Jim O'Brien, Howard Berry, Clinton Bell, Norman Hogarth (provincial police officer), Allan Burnke, James Quinn. Absent: Ralph Glover, Jim Harrison, Calvin Miller, Stan Smith, Cliff Somerville, Rev. Charles A. Malcolm. Included in Port Stanley Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History Book.
Name Access
Port Stanley Women's Institute
Port Stanley (Ont.)
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

Telephone Installed at Home of Mr. and Mrs. E.G. Lusty, Rodney

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives34470
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Rodney Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1945
Accession Number
2003-02
Storage Location
R7 S5 Sh4 B2 F1 331
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Rodney Women's Institute fonds
Creator
Stollery Studio
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2003-02
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R7 S5 Sh4 B2 F1 331
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1945
Series
Rodney Women's Institute fonds- Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing Mr. and Mrs. E.G. Lusty using the telephone installed at their home in Rodney, Ontario, circa 1940s. This was the first private telephone installed in the Village of Rodney. Included in the Rodney Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History. Photo by Stollery.
Name Access
Rodney Women's Institute
Rodney (Ont.)
Stollery Studio
Subject Access
Tweedsmuir Histories
Women's Institutes
URL Notes
Link directs to the source information for this image, from the Tweedsmuir book.
Images
Websites / Street View

St. Thomas Fire Department - Sherman's Men's Shop Fire

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives41445
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1971
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B2 F1 20
  2 images     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C8 Sh2 B2 F1 20
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1971
Publication
20a was published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4990596618/in/set-72157624831204785/.
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - St. Thomas Fire Department file
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 24.5 x 15.5 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Two black and white photographs used in St. Thomas Times-Journal article published April 27, 1971 with captions:
"A Quick Outburst- The only visible flame seen from outside during the fire at Sherman's Men's Shop, 449 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, Monday afternoon, was this short outburst against the fire wall of Woolworth's. The flames were quickly extinguished and damage was mostly confined to water and smoke to Sherman's, Woolworth's, and Reuben's." (20a) The firefighter at right, nearest the flames, is Robert Weare.
"Store Operators At Scene- Times-Journal reporter Ron Levett (left) interviews William Myles, Woolworth's store manager, and Max Zwickel, owner of the neighboring Edythe Shoppe, at the scene of Monday afternoon's Talbot Street fire. Smoke and water damage was extensive to the Woolworth's store and between 40 and 50 shoppers had to be evacuated from the premises." (20b)
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 28 (Mary to Hiawatha).
Google Street View 2014: http://www.instantstreetview.com/@42.779005,-81.195488,5.7h,5p,1z
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
St. Thomas Fire Department
Stollery Studio
Subject Access
Newspapers
Fire Departments
Firefighters
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 20, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

8 records – page 1 of 1.