2_3535, 2_3536, 2_3537, 2_3538, 2_3540 were published in St. Thomas Times-Journal on April 29, 1950, page one.
All images were postsed on Facebook: August 17, 2021.
6 negatives: plastic
Scope and Content
Photographs of the Aylmer District High School Open House.
Caption from St. Thomas Times-Journal on April 29, 1950, page one: “Enlarged District High School at Aylmer.”
2_3535: “Aylmer is proud of this school – A view of the enlarged East Elgin District High School taken from the north and east on Talbot street, showing the two storey extension that was completed last fall. The new section contains tow large, modernly-appointed classrooms, an agricultural science rooms, a commercial department and an attractive office suite for Principal Herbert Stevens and the school secretary. If the school population continues growing, a similar extension will have to be built on the west end. In fact it is already under consideration. The school enrolment now stands at 340 students, with approximately 70 per cent rural. Next September, secondary students will be attending the Aylmer High school from Belmont and district, which will bring the enrolment up to about 400, it is anticipated. Five school buses are required to transport the district students to and from the school. The above photograph shows the east side of the school with the new east entrance, also a full front view of the school. Set well back from the street, the façade is impressive to motor visitors entering or leaving Aylmer.”
2_3536: “Home economics is taught all Grade 9 girls in the Aylmer District High School. After Grade 10. It is an optional course with the girls, Miss Janet Watson is the efficient head of this useful; department. Several of the student are shown in thee above picture preparing for the Open Night, Friday afternoon. The young lady who is on her knees dusting a chair is Edith Frank. Behind her, from left to right , are: Little Isabel Mear. Reading a recipe while she stirs up a cake mix; cleaning silverware is Frances Barlow, at the end of the table, and Pat Best at the side; stirring up soup on the kitchen rang is betty Honeywood. The girls arranged a most attractive display of their dewing and other handiwork in the room across the hall from the economics department. In other classrooms, smart displays of school art, maps drawings and charting were displayed. Special attention was also given to this music part of the school curriculum, which is being carried out under the direction of George Hartsell, formerly of St. Thomas. Both piano and vocal training is given at the Aylmer District High School.”
2_3538: “Course in Blacksmithing – like the agricultural and home economics courses at the Aylmer District High School, the technical or vocational training course is made as practical as possible. The project room, in the northwest of the basement is under the direction od W.M. Kerford, shops instructor and another veteran of the Second World War. Above is shown three boys who are taking the training in blacksmithing. A forge has been installed in the south end of the project room with anvils and other equipment, and the boys go about the smithy work in a very businesslike manner. The little boy operating the bellow of the forge in the read is Howard Budden; the boy at the anvil, sharping the rod, is Frank Barnes, while the lad at the side of the forge, heating a piece of iron, is John Wooley. Mr. Kerford, the instructor, is shown standing between Howard Budden and Frank Barnes. Many of the boys take shopwork instruction as an optional course. Two large exhibits of their handiwork in wood and mental work were arranged in the project room for Open House.; There are now 15 teachers on the school staff, with about one-half of them including Principal Stevens, Second World War veterans. Three teachers are to be added in September, two women and one man.”
2_3537: “Depict reforestation project – a class of grade 10 boys were taking their agricultural proerod at the Aylmer District High School and preparing an interesting bench exhibit for Open Night, Friday afternoon, when the above photograph was taken. Shown with them is W.W. Wood, agricultural instructor at the school and one of the several Second World War veterans on the staff. He holds a degree of Bachelor of Agricultural Science form the Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph. The student who is putting some finishing touches on the bench dopily depicting reforestation project for farms and also the planting of windbreaks, is Gerald Pinnegar. The other student shown in the picture from left to right, in each case are: Front seats, James Barker and Herman Baughman. Second row, Donald Charlton and Russel Sanders. Third row, Don Appleyard and Ernest Jones. All the boys get agricultural training and agricultural science is taught to all Grade 9 students, girls as well as boys. With so many of the students from farming areas, special attention is given to such subjects as reforesting and plating of windbreaks, as well as to animal husbandry and nutrition, field husbandry, horticulture, dairying, some botany and bacteriology.”
2_3540: “Practical agriculture – The course is agricultural science at the Aylmer District High School is made as practical as possible for the students. They even operate an incubator and have a little colony house for baby chicks. Alice Kalman, left, and Barbara Brooks, right, are shown with a sextet or 12-day-old chicks in the colony house. They are Grade 13 students, taking the general course. A total of 225 chicks have been hatch in the school incubator the spring. The students taking the agricultural science optional course will be permitted to buy the chick for home raising. The students are taught how to operate an incubator and also how to feed and care for the chicks until they reach size where they can be placed safely in an open pen. The agricultural course includes other projects which students are required to complete during the school year in order to give them the practical observation and training which is so important.”
Kingsmill-Mapleton Women's Institute fonds- Tweedsmuir History series
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph of Mrs. Vera Foster of 57 Water Street, Aylmer, included in the Kingsmill-Mapleton Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume Three, page 58. Mrs. Foster joined the W.I. in 1938. The positions she has held include:
1_2078, 1_2081, 1_2082, 1_2080, and 1_2079 were published with article in St. Thomas Times-Journal on May 19, 1951, page eleven.
1_2081 was posted on Facebook: January 26, 2022.
5 negatives: plastic
Scope and Content
Photographs of the exterior of different homes in a new Aylmer development.
Caption from St. Thomas Times-Journal, May 19, 1951, page eleven: “Homes of Individuality and Character Mark Aylmer Development: Many Houses Being Erected in Busy Town.”
1_2078: “First dwelling to be built in the Fick sub-division, off the west extension of Pine street, is that of Mr. and Mrs. George Lindsay, a six-room, dark red brick cottage type house, with entrance and large living-room picture window to the north. Virtually all of the deep lots in this attractive new sub-division have been sold with other new homes projected.”
1_2081: “A group of four new homes on the east side of the Passmore sub-division in the south outskirts of Aylmer. Shown, left to right, are the pretty bungalow type home of Mr. and Mrs. William Flack, white clapboard with green trim and with buff brick used effectively for special front entrance design and for slower well under the large picture window; Mr. and Mrs. Don McPherson’s home; Mr. and Mrs. Gerrard McPherson’s home; and the smart storey and a half home of Mr. and Mrs. Derbishire, with fir shingle siding in natural wood effect. On the west side of Tree Lawn avenue are the homes of A.M. Passmore, the man who developed this residential sub-division, and those of Jack Hale and Frank Reynaert, the former under construction and the latter soon to get under way. Two or three other new homes are started or projected for this popular sub-division.”
1_2082: “A contrast in new house designs is provided on the north side of Clarence street in the homes of Mr. and Mrs. Jules Reynaert, to the left, and Mr. and Mrs. D.M. Halpenny, to the right. While the Reynaert home follows the more conservative design of single storey cottage type dwelling, with individualistic touches, the Halpenny home is decidedly modern, with flat roof, sloping to the north, and large living-room picture window to the south. The contrast in these two juxtaposed house designs is not at all displeasing.”
1_2080: “Mr. and Mrs. Donald S. Black are the proud owners of this smartly designed and roomy storey and a half tan brick house with wood trim. Plans for this new home, at Harvey and Dufferin streets, facing south, were supplied by Harold Beckett of Windsor, whose designs are a regular weekly feature of The Times-Journal. There are two bedrooms with bath on the main floor of this house; and two additional bedrooms with bath on the second floor.”
1_2079: “The attractive two storey Colonial type home of Allan Kilmer, deputy reeve of Aylmer, on South street, which was completed last year. Directly behind it are the new homes of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Trull and Mr. and Mrs. Tom McKinley. The front entrance of the Kilmer home is also to the north. Broad clapboard siding, painted white, with green roof and trim, features this room.”