View of Centre Street, St. Thomas, between Hincks and Southwick Streets, looking east with the spire of Centre Street Baptist Church (constructed 1879) on the southwest corner of Centre and Southwick Streets visible in the background. Several residences on the south side of Centre Street are visible. The Michigan Central Railway Station is visible in the far background. Note that at the time the photo was taken (ca. 1915) Centre Street had not yet been paved.
Black and white photograph showing the Kettle Creek Valley near St. Thomas ca. 1920, looking northwest from the approximate perspective of the intersection of Stanley and William Streets. The Michigan Central Railway bridge (iron trestle, built 1883) is visible in the background. This area was once known as Spohn's Flats and is now the location of Vincent A. Barrie Park. Old St. Thomas Church is visible at right.
Black and white photograph showing the Michigan Central Railway Bridge, St. Thomas, ca. 1980. View is looking east across the top of the bridge from the western end of the bridge, with the spire of Old St. Thomas Church visible at right and First United Church, St. Thomas visible in the left background.
Published in "Harvest of Memories: Elgin's History Through a Photographer's Lens-Volume II" on page 161.
Anderson family fonds - Photographs series
1 photograph : b&w ; 20.5 x 25 cm on sheet 29 x 35 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing the Michigan Central Railroad Employees Band, St. Thomas, Ontario, posed on the front steps of the Elgin County Court House, 1920. John Jackson photograph. Standing, left to right: P. Cain (President), R. Eddleston (Secretary), Ed. Mitchener, P. Powless, Ed. McGhee, R. Knight, Wm. Waters, R. Bell, Wm. Smith, Wm. Robinson, Fred. Hardy, C.W. Adams (Hon. Secretary), E.R. Webb (Hon. President). Sitting, middle row, left to right: F. Crute, J. Gant, E. Andrews, W. Taylor (Leader), F. McLauchlan, W. Barnwell, S. Read, J. Atkinson. Sitting, front row, left to right: J. Mitchener, J. Schuyler, D. Wilkinson, C. Hayden, A. Demcie, A. Allen, Chas. Rowe." Peter Powless, 190064 served in the First World War as a member of the 91st Battalion. This photograph was published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal, July 24, 1920, p. 9.