Skip header and navigation

Revise Search

1587 records – page 1 of 80.

Historical Photographs of St. Thomas - Michigan Central Railway Bridge

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives137164
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1930
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C9 Sh2 B4 F14 34
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
Frank H. Leslie
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
C9 Sh2 B4 F14 34
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1930
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Historical Photographs of St. Thomas file
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm
1 b&w negative : plastic
Scope and Content
Michigan Central Railway Bridge, looking northeast, ca. 1930. Photo by Frank H. Leslie. Retained for reference by the St. Thomas Times-Journal. Photo shows the bridge soon after the completion of its reconstruction in 1929-1930 as a concrete trestle bridge. View also includes the single-lane Fingal Bridge or Fingal Road Bridge (constructed 1899; removed and replaced 1956).
File includes b&w plastic negative and photograph print.
Google Street View July 2014: http://www.instantstreetview.com/@42.776855,-81.215848,-295.98h,19.73p,1z
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Michigan Central Bridge
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Bridges
Images

Historical Photographs of St. Thomas - Michigan Central Railway Bridge

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives137165
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1930
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C9 Sh2 B4 F14 35
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
Frank H. Leslie
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
C9 Sh2 B4 F14 35
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1930
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Historical Photographs of St. Thomas file
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 15 cm
1 b&w negative : plastic
Scope and Content
Michigan Central Railway Bridge, looking northeast, ca. 1930. Photo by Frank H. Leslie. Retained for reference by the St. Thomas Times-Journal. Photo shows the bridge soon after the completion of its reconstruction in 1929-1930 as a concrete trestle bridge. View also includes the single-lane Fingal Bridge or Fingal Road Bridge (constructed 1899; removed and replaced 1956). St. Thomas Collegiate Institute, First United Church and the water tower on the roof of the Talbot Shoe Co. Ltd. factory on the southeast corner of Talbot and Stanley Streets, St. Thomas.
File includes b&w plastic negative and photograph print.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Michigan Central Bridge
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Bridges
Images

Historical Photographs of St. Thomas - Pinafore Lake, Looking Northwest

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives137174
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1930
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C9 Sh2 B4 F14 37
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
Frank H. Leslie
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
C9 Sh2 B4 F14 37
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1930
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Historical Photographs of St. Thomas file
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 8.5 x 14.5 cm
1 b&w negative : plastic
Scope and Content
Pinafore Lake, looking northwest, ca. 1930. The Michigan Central Railway power house or pump house at the extreme north end of the lake, adjacent to Elm Street, is visible - built ca. 1872 by the Canada Southern Railway to supply water to the CASO Station, rail yards and shop. Photo by Frank H. Leslie. Retained for reference by the St. Thomas Times-Journal.
File includes b&w plastic negative and photograph print.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Pinafore Lake
Pinafore Park
Michigan Central Power House
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Parks
Images

Michigan Central Railway

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives137238
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2013-2015
Storage Location
Box 234, File 11
R11 S5 Sh6 B5
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 234, File 11
R11 S5 Sh6 B5
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2013-2015
Scope and Content
A photocopy of a St. Thomas Times-Journal article, August 14, 1922: "Yarmouth Lad is Killed at Crossing".
A photocopy of an East Elgin Reformer article, August 17, 1922: "Homer Miller killed by MCR Express Sunday: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Angus Miller, Yarmouth; Tried to Beat Train Across Track".
A Family Group Record for Jacob Homer Miller.
Photocopies of artciles relating to the Michigan Central Railway locomotive shop, St. Thomas:
A photocopy of a St. Thomas Times-Journal article, April 9, 2013: "Elgin Historical Society: St. Thomas once a railway capital".
A photocopy of a St. Thomas Times-Journal article, May 30, 2015: "Railway shops hit a heritage home run".
Name Access
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Railways
St. Thomas (Ont.)

Railway City Arts Crawl

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives137241
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2015
Storage Location
Box 234, File 12
R11 S5 Sh6 B5
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 234, File 12
R11 S5 Sh6 B5
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2015
Scope and Content
Two copies of a promotional flyer for the Railway City Arts Crawl, which took place February 27-28, 2015 in St. Thomas.
Name Access
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Railways
St. Thomas (Ont.)

Y.M.C.A., St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives9559
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Storage Location
Box 153, Envelope 7216
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 153, Envelope 7216
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Exterior view of the Y.M.C.A. building on the southeast corner of Talbot and Ross Streets, St. Thomas, ca. 1915. View includes Ross Street looking south toward the Michigan Central Railway bridge/overpass, also known as the Ross Street Subway. The Michigan Central Railway Station, now known as the historic Canada Southern Railway (CASO) Station, is also visible at left. The Y.M.C.A. building was constructed in 1914. The Ross Street Subway was built in 1908 by the Michigan Central Railway and demolished in May, 2014. Note the brick surfacing on Talbot Street - bricks were removed in 1915 when the street was paved.
Name Access
Y.M.C.A.
Y.M.C.A., St. Thomas
Ross Street Subway
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Canada Southern Railway Station
Images

Y.M.C.A., St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives101742
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Storage Location
Box 138, Envelope 7376
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 138, Envelope 7376
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
View of the exterior of the Y.M.C.A. building on the southeast corner of Talbot and Ross Streets, St. Thomas, looking southeast. The building was constructed in 1914, and the rough landscaping around the building suggests that this photograph was taken soon after construction was completed. The Michigan Central Railway underpass or subway on Ross Street (constructed 1908, demolished in May, 2014) is visible in the background, as is a St. Thomas Street Railway car on Ross Street in the far background. Michigan Central Railway Park is partially visible to the east (left) of the Y.M.C.A. building. The cornerstone for the Y.M.C.A. building is visible, but not legible: the stone was laid by H.R.H. Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, Governor General of Canada, 1911-1916, during a ceremony held May 6, 1914. Note the street railway tracks running along Talbot Street in front of the building as well as south on Ross Street, and the numerous bicycles left propped against the Talbot Street curb in front of the Y.M.C.A. Horse dung is visible, deposited by the many horse-drawn vehicles operating in the city at the time. The Y.M.C.A. building was demolished in 1990.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 15 (Ross to opposite Horton).
Name Access
Y.M.C.A.
Y.M.C.A., St. Thomas
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Ross Street Subway
Ross Street Railway Bridge
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Images

Michigan Central Railway Engine 8225

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives102082
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1930
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95450
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95450
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1930
Physical Description
Plastic negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
Michigan Central Railway steam locomotive, Engine 8225, with the Michigan Central Railway station, St. Thomas (now the historic CASO Station) partially visible in the background. Image also shows the safety barrier or fence that ran alongside the tracks on the north side of the station, and some buildings on the north side of Talbot Street between Horton and Manitoba Streets.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Canada Southern Railway Station
Subject Access
Railways
Steam Engines
Train cars
Images

New York Central Railway Engine 999

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives102083
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1960
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95451
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95451
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1960
Physical Description
4 acetate negatives
Physical Condition
All negatives are cracked and warped due to vinegar syndrome.
Scope and Content
Four views of New York Central Railway steam locomotive, Engine 999, taken when the train passed through St. Thomas in May, 1960.
Image 140_95451a_negative/print shows a head-on view of the engine, looking east, with the rail yards, boxcars, 1913 Michigan Central Railway shops building (now the site of the Elgin County Railway Museum) and Freight House in the background. 140_95451a_negative scanned from the acetate negative, which is badly affected by vinegar syndrome. 140_95451a_print scanned from a print processed from the negative prior to its being damaged and found in the Ken Verrell Collection.
Image 140_95451b_negative/print shows a side view of the engine, looking northeast, with the Canada Southern Railway/Michigan Central Railway/New York Central Railway station (now the historic CASO Station) and unidentified railway officials in the background. The Freight House is partially visible in 140_95451b_negative. 140_95451b_negative scanned from the acetate negative, which is badly affected by vinegar syndrome. 140_95451b_print scanned from a print processed from the negative prior to its being damaged and found in the Ken Verrell Collection.
Image 140_95451c shows a side view of the engine, looking southwest with Elgin Co-Operative Services grain silos on Moore Street and the spire of Centre Street Baptist Church visible in the background. Scanned from a copy print since the acetate negative is badly affected by vinegar syndrome.
Image 140_95451d shows a side view of the engine, with a mounted plaque reading: "Old 999 made history on May 1893 when it travelled between Batavia and Buffalo at the incredible speed of 112.5 miles an hour for the distance of one mile. The famous New York Central engine picked up the Empire State Express at Syracuse and engineer Charles H. Hogan was told to try for the speed record when he hit the 36 mile straighaway after leaving Batavia on the way to Buffalo. The result was world wide news and the withdrawal of the locomotive from service for exhibition at World's Fairs and expositions in 1901. Locomotive 999 and the Empire State Express were used on a U.S. postage stamp commemorating the Pan American Exposition in Buffalo." Scanned from the acetate negative, which is badly affected by vinegar syndrome.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
New York Central Railway
Canada Southern Railway Station
Subject Access
Railways
Train cars
Steam Engines
Copy Print Number
1207
Images

Michigan Central Railway Park, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives102084
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95452
  4 images     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95452
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Publication
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 341.
September 23, 2020: Published to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Physical Description
4 negatives : glass plate
Physical Condition
Negative 140_95452b is blemished with spots.
Scope and Content
(CP 677 - Negative 2 of 4): Michigan Central Railway (MCR) Park, looking east from the roof of the YMCA building on the southeast corner of Talbot and Ross Streets, ca. 1915. The north side of Talbot Street east, particularly between Horton and Manitoba Streets is visible, including a partial view of Queen's Hotel, the Chant Sperrin dry goods store at 801 Talbot Street on the northeast corner of Talbot and Manitoba Streets. Balaclava Street Public School and Grace Methodist (after 1925 Grace United) Church are also partially visible. A large sign painted on the side of a building reads Restaurant STAG. This image was certainly taken prior to 1928 since the St. Thomas Brewery building (later known as the Brewery Skeleton) began construction in that year and is not visible here.
Image 140_95452a is looking northwest, with the YMCA building on the southeast corner of Ross and Talbot Streets (built in 1914, demolished in 1990) and businesses on the north side of Talbot Street between Flora and Horton Streets visible in the background, including Cook's Drug store (691 Talbot Street), C.H. Schultz wallpaper store (711) and W.E. Rayner, plumber (713).
Image 140_95452b is looking northwest toward the intersection of Talbot and Manitoba Streets. The Chant Sperrin dry goods store at 801 Talbot Street on the northeast corner of Talbot and Manitoba Streets, Moylan & Moylan grocers at 797 Talbot Street on the northwest corner of Talbot and Manitoba Streets and the International Hotel at 819-825 Talbot Street are visible. Balaclava Street Public School and Grace Methodist (after 1925 Grace United) Church are also partially visible. A St. Thomas Street Railway car can be seen travelling east on Talbot Street and a horse and buggy travelling west. A manual push lawn mower used to cut the grass of the park is visible.
Image 140_95452c is looking northwest, similar to image 140_95452a.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 34 (Horton to Manitoba).
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 15 (Ross to opposite Horton).
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 33 (Flora to Horton).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Y.M.C.A., St. Thomas
Subject Access
Railways
Parks
Hotels
Copy Print Number
677
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Centre Street, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives102087
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95455
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 140, Envelope 95455
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Physical Condition
Good
Scope and Content
View of Centre Street, St. Thomas, between Hincks and Southwick Streets, looking east with the spire of Centre Street Baptist Church (constructed 1879) on the southwest corner of Centre and Southwick Streets visible in the background. Several residences on the south side of Centre Street are visible. The Michigan Central Railway Station is visible in the far background. Note that at the time the photo was taken (ca. 1915) Centre Street had not yet been paved.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Centre Street Baptist Church
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Railways
Churches
Images

The St. Thomas Elevated Park Project

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives114117
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2012-2015
Storage Location
Box 181, File 9
R10 S4 Sh1 B7
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Vertical File Collection
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
Box 181, File 9
R10 S4 Sh1 B7
GMD
textual records
Date Range
2012-2015
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Heritage Impact Assessment (HIA): Michigan Central Railroad Bridge, Kettle Creek Valley, Fingal Line at Sunset Drive, City of St. Thomas, Elgin County, Ontario. Published by Golder Associates, 2012.
a pamphlet: "The St. Thomas Elevated Park Project", published by On Track St. Thomas, 2014. Printing courtesy of Green's Printing Service.
-a photocopy of a St. Thomas Times-Journal article: "Master plan in the works for elevated park", August 8, 2015.
-a photocopy of a St. Thomas Times-Journal article: "Lunch with a view", August 14, 2015.
Name Access
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Michigan Central Bridge
Subject Access
Railways
Bridges

Postcard - M.C.R. Station, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives114261
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca.1915
Accession Number
2013-05
Storage Location
C3 Sh5 B5 F8
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
Item Number
P 388
Accession Number
2013-05
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C3 Sh5 B5 F8
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca.1915
Physical Description
1 postcard : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm
Scan Resolution
300 d.p.i.
Scope and Content
Black and white postcard showing the Michigan Central Railway (M.C.R.) station (now known as the CASO or Canada Southern Railway station), St. Thomas, ca. 1910s, south side, looking east.
Name Access
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subject Access
Railways
Images

Canada Southern Railway Freight Office, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives114646
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1880
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh1 B3 F70
  1 image     1 website  
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
G-13
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh1 B3 F70
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1880
Publication
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 344.
Published in the Bygone Days section of the St. Thomas Times-Journal and on the Archives' flickr site: December 5, 2013.
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Canada Southern Railway Freight Office, St. Thomas, ca. 1880, looking southeast from the Canada Southern Railway Station platform. Constructed ca. 1875; demolished ca. 1980. The Canada Southern Railway Shops building can be seen behind and to the right of the freight office - this was the predecessor to the Michigan Central Railway Shops (built 1913, now the Elgin County Railway Museum). Pictured in the background is Michigan Central Railroad Locomotive No. 321, an 1873 Baldwin steam engine (0-4-0). This engine was formerly Canadian Southern Railway Locomotive No. 28, which was converted to Shop Locomotive "A" in St. Thomas, Ontario, in 1903.
File includes:
glass-plate negative
glass lantern slide
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 17 (opposite Manitoba to opposite Alma)
Name Access
Canada Southern Railway
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
URL Notes
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 19, 2014.
Images
Websites / Street View

Michigan Central Railway Power House, Pinafore Lake, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives114733
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1905
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh2 B4 F34
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Ian D. Cameron Collection
Description Level
File
Item Number
G-47
Accession Number
2011-10
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location
R11 S5 Sh2 B4 F34
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1905
Series
Ian D. Cameron Collection - Photographs Series
Scope and Content
Colour postcard showing the Michigan Central Railway Power House, Pinafore Lake, St. Thomas, ca. 1905. File includes:
postcard
Name Access
Michigan Central Power House
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Pinafore Park
Pinafore Lake
Images

Springfield Sunday School Picnic Excursion to Port Stanley

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives116158
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Springfield Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1910
Storage Location
R7_S5_Sh5_B2_F1_17a
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Springfield Women's Institute fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
R7_S5_Sh5_B2_F1_17a
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1910
Publication
Published in the Aylmer Express in July 2010.
Series
Springfield Women's Institute fonds - Tweedsmuir History series
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph showing Springfield residents boarding the train for the Sunday School picnic in Port Stanley at the Michigan Central Railway Station in Springfield, 1910. Included in Springfield Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History Book.
Name Access
Springfield Women's Institute
Springfield (Ont.)
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Railways
Images

Bridges, St. Thomas-Elgin - New Fingal Road Bridge Under Construction

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives117148
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1956
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C2 Sh1 B3 F4 1
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C2 Sh1 B3 F4 1
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1956
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Bridges, St. Thomas-Elgin file
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 17 x 21.5 cm
Scope and Content
Black and white photograph used in St. Thomas Times-Journal article published July 25, 1956 with caption: " County Engineer Fred Bell said today the new $70,000 Fingal road bridge under construction to replace the 57-year-old single-lane structure that has served traffic westbound from the city since 1899, will be completed in two to three months. The old bridge had become a bottleneck to modern day traffic moving from St. Thomas under the New York Central's massive bridge over Kettle Creek Valley, and was in a state of deterioration. Now it is being replaced by a three-lane concrete and steel structure. Angled apporaches will be eliminated and the new roadway will permit traffic to flow under the N.Y.C. overpass arch and straight up the Fingal hill. Footings and the centre pier have been completed by the Elgin Construction Co. The above photo is a bird's view taken by a Times-Journal cameraman from the top of the N.Y.C. bridge looking toward No. 4 Highway and Spohn's flats. The old bridge is being used to permit traffic to cross Kettle Creek until the new structure is opened."
View of new Fingal Road bridge and Kettle Creek Valley from the Michigan Central Railway trestle bridge.
Name Access
Michigan Central Bridge
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Newspapers
Bridges
Roads and Highways
Images
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Storage Location
C3 Sh5 B5 F12
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Elgin County Photograph Collection
Description Level
Item
Item Number
P 425
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C3 Sh5 B5 F12
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1910
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 10 x 15 cm
Scan Resolution
300 d.p.i.
Scope and Content
The origin of this photograph is not known. It is a photograph taken of a photograph. The back of the photograph is labelled "Michigan Bridge, St. Thomas".
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Michigan Central Bridge
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Bridges
Images

Bridges, St. Thomas-Elgin - 1956 Progress

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives121133
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1956
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Location
C2 Sh1 B3 F4 51
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds
Creator
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Description Level
Item
Accession Number
2008-01
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 105
Storage Location
C2 Sh1 B3 F4 51
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
1956
Series
St. Thomas Times-Journal fonds - Bridges, St. Thomas-Elgin file
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 10 x 15.5 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Two black and white photographs used in St. Thomas Times-Journal article published December 31, 1956 with captions:
"Work has started on the Elm Street fill." (51a) Pinafore Park Lake and St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital are visible.
"A fine, new bridge now carries the Fingal road over Kettle Creek." (51b) Michigan Central Railway trestle bridge and the old Fingal Road bridge are visible.
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
St. Thomas Times-Journal
Michigan Central Bridge
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Newspapers
Bridges
Roads and Highways
Images

Michigan Central Railway Park, St. Thomas

https://inmagic.elgin.ca/en/permalink/archives111949
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Storage Location
Box 17, Envelope 15007
Museum / Archive
Elgin County Archives
Part Of
Scott Studio fonds
Description Level
Item
Storage Room
Archives Storage Rm. 107
Storage Location
Box 17, Envelope 15007
GMD
graphic material
Date Range
ca. 1915
Physical Description
Glass-plate negative
Scope and Content
View of MCR Park adjacent to the Michigan Central Railway station (now the historic CASO Station), looking north-west. Several businesses are visible in the background, including the YMCA, C.H. Schultz Wallpaper, W.E. Rayner Plumber and Cook's Drug Store.
Down the Street to yesterday Zone 15 (Ross to opposite Horton).
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 33 (Flora to Horton).
Name Access
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Y.M.C.A., St. Thomas
Michigan Central Railway
Michigan Central Railroad
Subject Access
Railways
Parks
YMCA
Copy Print Number
739
Images

1587 records – page 1 of 80.