A colour photograph of a Penn Central crane, pictured in a snowy landscape in St. Thomas, Ontario. The Michigan Central Railroad Freight Office building, constructed in ca. 1875 by the Canada Southern Railway, is visible in the background.
The station was built by the Canada Southern Railway in 1871-1873 and served as both a passenger station and as the company's corporate headquarters. Throughout the years, many railway companies operated in the building including the New York Central Railroad, the Michigan Central Railroad, the Penn Central Transportation Company, Conrail, Amtrak, the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Canadian National Railways. Passenger traffic through the station ceased in 1979, and the station was officially closed in 1980. In 2005, the building was purchased by the North America Railway Hall of Fame, who carried out a campaign to restore the building. As of 2017, it remains the home of the North American Railway Hall of Fame and is available as an event space.
Scope and Content
File contains photographs containing exterior and interior views of the Canada Southern (CASO) Railway station in St. Thomas, Ontario
File contains photographs of the Michigan Central Railroad yard in St. Thomas, Ontario, including exterior views of the freight house, roundhouse and other buildings, and interior views of the locomotive shops.
File contains photographs of various railway employees, mostly from the Michigan Central Railroad and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. Employees are pictured working on the railway, mostly locally, as well as at various events including banquets, awards ceremonies and sporting events.
Postcard featuring a photograph of Canadian National Railways steam Locomotive No. 6060 passing the train station in Woodstock, Ontario, heading a special train with Michigan Central Railroad Club members returning to Windsor after an outing to Stratford and Paris, Ontario.
Conrail locomotive CR5823 GP7 assigned to St. Thomas, with Michigan Central Railway enginehouse, St. Thomas in the background, May, 1978. Note the engraved stone reading "M.C.R.R. 1913" at the top of the enginehouse.