Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4329743825/in/set-72157623225446063/.
1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned ; 20 x 25 cm on sheet 27 x 35 cm
Scope and Content
Landscape photograph showing the Michigan Central Railway trestle bridge over Kettle Creek, with the City of St. Thomas and several prominent landmark buildings, including the courthouse, visible in the background. Mounted on cardboard with the caption "M.C.R. Bridge looking East".
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4330481364/in/set-72157623225446063/.
1 photograph : b&w, sepia toned ; 11.5 x 16.5 cm on sheet 27 x 35 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph showing spectators viewing several railway cars damaged in an accident. Cars may belong to the Michigan Central Railway, but one car is marked "New York Central Li[nes]". Mounted on cardboard with the caption "[word(s) missing] M.C.R. Wreck".
On August 4, 1906, a tragic head-on collision occurred between two engines on the London and Port Stanley tracks, just north of the Barwick Street bridge, a south-bound MCR passenger train ran head-on into a north-bound PM passenger train.
Calvin Winslow Ellis was born April 2, 1877 in Aylmer, Ontario, the son of Isaac Newton Ellis, a carriage maker, and Alma Jane (Calvert) Ellis. Ellis moved to St. Thomas, Ontario c. 1902. In 1906 he worked as an automobile agent. From c. 1913 to 1916 Ellis worked as operator and projectionist at the Star Theatre, 467 Talbot Street, St. Thomas. From c. 1918 until his death in 1935, Ellis worked as an electrical contractor (briefly partnering with Harry W. Beck in business as Ellis & Beck, Electrical Contractors, 12 Metcalfe Street, St. Thomas, c. 1920), electrician and (from c. 1927) proprietor of an electrical repair business at 1 White St., St. Thomas. He married Louise B. Ellis c. 1927. Ellis died February 6, 1935 and was buried in Aylmer Cemetery.
Part of the collection of the Elgin County Pioneer Museum, under accession number B.d.2 Transferred to the Archives from the Elgin County Museum in March, 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs taken and/or collected by Calvin Winslow Ellis, St Thomas, Ontario, perhaps in his capacity as a member of the St. Thomas Camera Club. Fonds includes portraits and other images of Ellis' friends and family; landscape photographs showing various picturesque locations, primarily in Elgin County but also in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, Elora, Delhi and Elmira, Ontario; numerous images of civic buildings, public infrastructure, businesses, bridges, streets and private residences in and around St. Thomas, Ontario; several images documenting the property and activities of various railway companies, including the London and Port Stanley Railway Company, the Michigan Central Railway and the Pere Marquette Railway; several images featuring early automobiles; and numerous images showing various locations in and around Port Stanley, Ontario, including the village itself, its harbour, its rail yards, summer cottages, the waterfront, Orchard Beach and Hill Crest.
2 copies of the same postcard featuring a colour illustration of the Michigan Central Bridge, St. Thomas, as viewed from a distance. One has a St. Thomas postmark dated February 11, 1908, and is addressed to Miss Hazel Fowler of Winona, Michigan.
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4312033704/in/set-72157623302116008/.
1 postcard : col. ; 9 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
5 copies of the same postcard featuring a colour illustration of the Michigan Central Bridge, St. Thomas and surrounding scenery.One has a St. Thomas postmark dated July 23, 1908, and is addressed to Mr. J. Pearce of Rodney, Ontario. One has a London, Ontario postmark dated March 3, 1911, and is addressed to Miss E. Holland of London.
Colour illustration of the Michigan Central Bridge, St. Thomas and surrounding scenery. Image is surrounded by a small white border, with the caption: "M.C.R.R. Bridge, St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada" above.
Small black and white photograph of the M.C.R. Flyer approaching St. Thomas on the Michigan Central Bridge. Image is surrounded by an ornate, gold embossed border set against a white background. Ontario and Canadian crest and flags flank the image. Beneath the photograph, there is a caption reading: "Michigan Central Flyer Entering St. Thomas, Ontario." A previous owner has written on the front of the postcard. Has two faded postmarks dated April 1906. Addressed to Miss Ida E. Smith of Tillsonburg, Ontario.
Colour illustration of the Michigan Central Railroad Yards, St. Thomas, with trains coming and going. Includes the Canada Southern Railway Station (with the original 8 chimneys), freight office and Canada Southern Railway shops building (constructed 1872). One copy has a St. Thomas postmark dated September 2, 1913 and is addressed to Miss Annie Piggott, Bridgen, Ontario. The Michigan Central Railway shops building (built 1913) is not visible.
Colour illustration of the Michigan Central Railway Power House (also known as pumping station) on Pinafore Lake, St. Thomas. The view includes: a road running along the side of the lake, with the power house in the background. A white border at the bottom of the image contains the caption: "Michigan Central Power House, Pinafore Lake, St. Thomas, Ontario." A previous owner has written on the image. Has Buffalo and St. Thomas postmarks dated May 2, 1906. Addressed to Miss Glenna Higgins of Buffalo.
File contains photographs of various railway employees, mostly from the Michigan Central Railroad and the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. Employees are pictured working on the railway, mostly locally, as well as at various events including banquets, awards ceremonies and sporting events.
Copy of a photograph published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal on August 1, 1952, which features the apprentice class at the Michigan Central Railroad Shops in 1908. See attached PDF for newspaper article. The individuals have been identified as follows:
Bottom row, from left to right: J.R. (Bob) Sands, Hugh Adams, Leslie Travers, "Frenchy" McNabb, William Anderson, C.J. (Charlie) Marple, Frank Clarke, Leslie Freeman, Willian Sanderson and W.J. (Bill) Baird.
Second row, from left to right: M.R. (Roy) Benson, Albert Cosens, Ernest Morriss, Charles Pink, Gus Lenerty, Jack Rayner, J.L. (Jack) McTaggart, Earl Ellwood and Frank Compton.
Back row, standing, from left to right: Charles Nealon, A.J. (Phonse) Arlein, Chester Hubert, George Galloway, Murray Chute, H.G. (Harry) Manning, George Millard, Glen Rowley, Otto Shoemaker, A. McGregor and Arland Perry.