Departure of 91st Battalion from its barracks near the Wilson Avenue Armoury, St. Thomas, enroute to the Michigan Central Railway Station for transport to Halifax, Nova Scotia and eventual deployment as part of the C.E.F., First World War, June 25, 1916.
Departure of 91st Battalion from its barracks at the north end of the woodenware factory, near the Wilson Avenue Armoury, St. Thomas, enroute to the Michigan Central Railway Station for transport to Halifax, Nova Scotia and eventual deployment as part of the C.E.F., First World War, June 25, 1916.
Members of the 91st Battalion CEF (Elgin’s Own) assemble near their barracks (the former Thomas Brothers woodenware factory behind the Wilson Avenue Armoury), June 25, 1916. They are about to march to the Michigan Central station (today’s CASO station) where they will board a train for Halifax.
91st Battalion marching east on Talbot Street, St. Thomas, June 25, 1916. View is looking northwest from White Street. Businesses visible on the north side of Talbot Street include R.H. and J. Dowler Ltd., clothiers, 489-491; R.H. Beattie, baker and confectioner, 515-517 (at street level in three-storey building with date stone reading "Central Block 1882"); P.R. Williams & Son, undertakers, 519; the Princess Theatre, 525; Porter & Nelson, jewelers, 527; Sandham & Roberts, electrical contractors, 531, "Everything Electrical" sign; William Barrett, barber, 533; Ranson A. Robins, cigars and billiards, 535. The Columbia Hotel on the northwest corner of Talbot and Mondamin Streets, 537-539, is just out of view to the right.
A small Japanese imperial flag is visible in a seond floor window above the Princess Theatre. It appears to be the ensign of the Imperial Japanese Navy and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force which was in use from 1889-1945 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_flags)
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 29 (Hiawatha to Mondamin).
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, August 23, 2014: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/14846909518/in/photostream/.
Crinan Women's Institute fonds- Tweedsmuir History series
1 photograph : b&w
History / Biographical
Elizabeth McEachern was born in 1888 on Lot 1, Concession 3 Dunwich township. She was the daughter of Finlay McEachern and Elizabeth Kerr McEachern. According to the biography provided in the Crinan Tweedsmuir History, Volume one, Elizabeth attended Campbellton school to fifth grade and then went to Toronto to work as a house maid. The married couple she worked for had twin children and the mother thought Elizbaeth should be a nurse. But Elizabeth didn't believe she had enough education. Both the lady and Elizabeth knew Dr. R. J. McMillan and with their help Elizabeth worked to get enough education to enter Toronto General Hospital from where she graduated in 1914. One year later she went overseas to treat allied casualties in Unit 4 from Toronto General Hospital. She spent time working in the hospitals in France, Greece and Malta before being appointed head nurse of surgery in an English hospital, where she remained for three years.
She was decorated with the Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) on June 30, 1917 in Salonika (Greece).
After the war,she worked with Christie Street Veteran's Hospital for several years before joining the Ontario Red Cross. She was superintendent at Outpost Clinics before going to Kirkland Lake. In 1930, she supervised a ten bed Red Cross Clinic. It expanded into a 100 bed general hospital. She was superintendent of Kirkland Lake General Hospital for thirty years until she retired in 1960 to her home on North Yonge Street, Toronto.
She died October 9, 1972 at the age of 84 at Sunnybrook Hospital. She was buried on October 12 in Fairview Cemetery, Dunwich.
The Elgin County Book of Remembrance, The Great War 1914-1918, Vol. 1 reads: "Elizabeth McEachern R.R.C. Nursing Sister. Daughter of Finley McEachern. Enlisted March 1915. Served in Canada Canadian Army Medical Corps; England Canadian Army Medical Corps; France and Salonkia Canadian Army Medical Corps. Mentioned in despatches. Discharged September 1920."
Scope and Content
One black and white photograph of Nursing Sister, Elizabeth McEachern, R.N., ca. 1915. Included in the Crinan Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
Listed in Nominal Roll 91st Overseas Battalion: Machine Gun section
Listed in Elgin County Book of Remembrance: The Great War 1914-1918: "Son of Anthony and Ella. Enl. Sept. 1915. Served in Canada 70th and 91st Battalion; England 12th Reserve; France 2nd Battalion. Battles: Somme, Vimy Ridge. Killed at Vimy Ridge Apr. 1, 1917".
Listed in Elgin County Register of the War Dead; Cem/Mem Code: FR 68
See: Attestation Papers in Library and Archives Canada Collections - http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=189133
Listed in Nominal Roll 91st Overseas Battalion: "D" Company
Listed in Elgin County Book of Remembrance: The Great War 1914-1918: "Son of Edwin and Mary Blackmore Gyde. Enl. Apr. 1916. Served in Canada 91st Battalion; England 35th Reserve; France 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles. Battles: Somme, Vimy Ridge, Hill 70, Passchendaele. Disch. July 1919".
See: Attestation Papers in Library and Archives Canada Collections - http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=432115
Listed in West Elgin at War, by Harley Lashbrook: pg. 128
Studio portrait of a woman identified on the photographer's storage envelope as Georgie Powless, along with a group who may be members of her family, including an infant, two young girls and an older girl. The younger woman standing at rear and the child seated in the chair also appear in a Scott Studio portrait identified as including members of the Powless family (138_7437).
Exterior view of the St. Thomas Post Office building on the northwest corner of Talbot and Mary Streets, ca. 1915. The St. Thomas Times building is partially visible at left. St. Thomas Street Railway tracks and brick surface of Talbot Street are visible.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 27 (East to Mary)
Published in "The Scott-Sefton Collection: Elgin's History Through A Photographer's Lens- Volume 1", pg. 176.
Published in Down the Street to Yesterday, p. 125.
Published on the Archives' flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/4325140167/in/set-72157623335565870/.
Scope and Content
Parade welcoming soldiers of the 91st Battalion home from the First World War, July 19, 1919. View looks east along the north side of Talbot Street from St. Catharine Street. The Talbot Hotel is visible on the northeast corner of Talbot and St. Catharine Streets, as is the Smith Block (constructed in several sections 1871-1900) extending east from the railway tracks to John Street. A car decorated with a banner marked "M.C.R.R." (Michigan Central Railroad) is visible. The London & Port Stanley Railway (L & PS) crossing between St. Catharine and John Streets is visible. Photo likely taken from the roof or upper floor window of the Imperial Bank of Canada, East End Branch, 584 Talbot Street, St. Thomas, southwest corner of Talbot Street and Princess Avenue.
Down the Street to Yesterday Zone 31 (St. Catharine to John).
For contemporary view see Google Street View, accessed August 21, 2014.