Search Results

St. Thomas Fire Company

Date:
1887
Part Of:
Dave Rock Collection
Description Level:
Item
Storage Room:
Archives Storage Rm. 110
Storage Location:
R9 S4 Sh3 B3 1
Accession No.:
2014-07
Creator:
A.S. Green, Photographer
GMD:
graphic material
Physical Description:
2 photographs : b&w ; 26.5 x 31.5 cm
Publication Info.:
Published in the St. Thomas Times-Journal Bygone Days feature, and on the Archives flickr site, March 25, 2014: http://www.flickr.com/photos/elgincountyarchives/12773978034/.
Scope & Content:
Members of the St. Thomas Fire Company pose in front of the St. Thomas Fire Hall on Southwick Street, 1887.
Front row, left to right: Christopher Calcott, J. Hellier, James Foley, William H. Walbourn, Sam Bowlby, J. Hayes, H. Calver, N. Gadsby.
Second row: B. Reice, William Barclay, William Grimstead, Richard Small, Frank Revell, Alonzo Bowlby, Thomas Robinson, Peter Brown, Harry Crack, F. Doggett, Alexander Henderson.
Back row: H. Rayner, William Foote.
-Christopher Calcott's hand is bandaged from fighting the fire caused by the 1887 collision between an MCR freight train and a London & Port Stanley (L & PS) passenger train that killed 14 people, including St. Thomas Fire Department firefighter Herman Ponsford.
-The monument in the middle was produced by the St. Thomas Bronze Company to honour the firemen who fought the 1887 collision fire. It is inscribed with the names of the firemen and includes this statement: "A Tribute to the Bravery of Our Firemen, July 15, 1887; Ponsford, The Victim". The monument is now located in the fire hall on Wellington Street.
Names:
St. Thomas Fire Department
St. Thomas (Ont.)
Subjects:
Emergency Services
Thumbnail

Powered by DB/Text WebPublisher, from Inmagic WebPublisher PRO

Copyright © 2021 County of Elgin